|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best 5th Wheel Manufacturers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
phildebra2

anywhere USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense Bpounds, but in all my years of 5th wheeling, including the last 9 as a fulltimer, I've never heard anyone suggest Keystone as being a top manufacturer. I've heard the opposite opinion many times. Having said that, the truth is that most seem to have ups and downs in quality over time, including those considered the best; especially since the economic downturn in 2008. Despite your best efforts, you can end up with a lemon. The good news is that the best will make things right. When I was doing the same research a couple of years ago, I came up with the following list: New Horizons (if cost is not an issue), DRV, Hitchhiker, Excel and Carriage. Good luck.

SL592

Springfield, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your question; although worthy of a response, is also a loaded one. The short answer (and easiest) "that depends".

Is this going to be a starter? Is it for a couple? Is it for a family? Do you want a four season camper?

Lot's more questions that answers at this point.

Ultimately you need to get what you want in a camper that fits your particular needs.

Scott & Cindy
Molly & Bitsy (Our fuzzy kids)
2011 GMC 3500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison CC/LB/DRW
2003 Cameo LXI F35KS3 5er
Good Sam Life Member

Ford Man

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned 3 Montana's and currently have a Landmark full body paint ordered. Heartland is building an excellent 5th wheel. Mobile suites is probably top of the line but are extremely heavy.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there were one nobody would buy any of the other ones. You can compare different manufacturers as rated by owners themselves on this web site where owners rate their own. http://www.rv-coach.com/RV/manufacturers/survey/rate_your_rv_results.html

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phildebra2 wrote:

No offense Bpounds, but in all my years of 5th wheeling, including the last 9 as a fulltimer, I've never heard anyone suggest Keystone as being a top manufacturer. I've heard the opposite opinion many times. Having said that, the truth is that most seem to have ups and downs in quality over time, including those considered the best; especially since the economic downturn in 2008. Despite your best efforts, you can end up with a lemon. The good news is that the best will make things right. When I was doing the same research a couple of years ago, I came up with the following list: New Horizons (if cost is not an issue), DRV, Hitchhiker, Excel and Carriage. Good luck.

Your sarcasm detector is obviously on the fritz. It should have been beeping loudly.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

whistlebritches

Cherryvale, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a Snowbird (by Nu-Wa) for 11 yrs. It was great. We now have a 7 yr. old Cedar Creek 5th wheel and have not had any issues with it either. It's made by Forest River.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phildebra2 wrote:

This would be my pick as well.

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our Cedar Creek Daydreamer,really well built,unmatched customer support and some real serious "pride of ownership"http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/MPI_Mallard/Truck-Trailerpic.jpg

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Bl├╝cher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first fiver was a Carriage Cameo (99).

The second was a Keystone Outback Sidney (07).

The pressent is a Glendale Titanium (08 model purchased in 10).

The quality of materials and general workmanship of the Keystone were far inferior to either of the others. It looked good at the dealer's, but we were vastly dissapointed.

Even though Glendale (june 2010) and Carriage (Nov 2011) are both bankrupt, the units on the road are top grade trailers. Keystone not so much.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

Gruffy

monominto mb ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a Keystone Montana Big Sky ..... big piece of junk. I have a Forest River Maverick .... not perfect but relatively trouble free for 4 years now.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best 5th Wheel Manufacturers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS