|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite Valley Camping in a 40ft Motor Home

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1stgenfarmboy wrote:

Ms Gale, with all due respect 14 yr olds don't get excited about an ant eatin a bail of hay, we also went on a long trip around the N.P.'s for 31 days and Yosemite would be in the top 3 places we visited. like you said different folk different idea of likes.

i would try to avoid the buisy months as tons of people take away from the experance, as would a bus ride for us.

the camp sites are tight, and the roads are tight for a 40ft rig.
can it be done yes, will it be relaxing NO.

Dar

This Mr Gale.

I can see you are a first generation farm boy by your spelling of bail of hay.

Not sure about the kids but I think watching that ant could be interesting. Never heard that one before.

Personally I think the west has so much of nothing in it but dust does make most all of it look alike howbeit interesting. Yosemite did have an interesting water fall. Before the road drops off into the valley the hugeness of the park was in your face due to forest fires. Out west you could drive for two hours and it seem like you had hardly moved unlike in KY.

Just Lee

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off I would like to thank Dashonthedash because he is the only one who really answered my question.

Gale we will check out Kings Canyon. P.S. I have a VERY close friend who's first name is Gale but he goes by Pete. LoL

First off I live in the Central Valley of California and have been to Yosemite 100's of times. But never camped in the Valley we avoided it like the Plague. My family OWNED a house with-in the boundary of Yosemite National Park. (we lost it when a fire storm rolled through back in the late 80's). I know the roads into the park very well as well as back roads into the park.

All I was asking was there any spots in the Valley that could accommodate a 40ft MH and what was your experience.

Please DO NOT be offended that I am writing this because I appreciate each and every one of your responses.

I live close enough to where we can make a day trip and check out the sites that Dashonthedash posted...

Again thank you all very much.

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My apologies sir, your only the 2nd man i know with that name, you are correct spelling is a major flaw in my comunication skills.

(you wouldn't slow down to watch an ant eating a bale of hay), i heard my grandpa say that pretty often when we were board with what he was trying to teach us.

by the way i live 40 miles north of Paducah KY, not far from you.

Being from the central zone when i could see mountains it seemed like another world, most of the country west of the Rocky Mountains is awsome to me.

Darwin

1993 Dodge cummins crankin out some torque,
2003 Lance 1071 loaded to the hilt

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1stgenfarmboy wrote:

My apologies sir, your only the 2nd man i know with that name, you are correct spelling is a major flaw in my comunication skills.

(you wouldn't slow down to watch an ant eating a bale of hay), i heard my grandpa say that pretty often when we were board with what he was trying to teach us.

by the way i live 40 miles north of Paducah KY, not far from you.

Being from the central zone when i could see mountains it seemed like another world, most of the country west of the Rocky Mountains is awsome to me.

Darwin

Then we are only 80 miles apart. We found our old MH in Marion IL. I to ASS-U-ME more than I should.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just Lee wrote:

First off I would like to thank Dashonthedash because he is the only one who really answered my question.

Gale we will check out Kings Canyon. P.S. I have a VERY close friend who's first name is Gale but he goes by Pete. LoL

First off I live in the Central Valley of California and have been to Yosemite 100's of times. But never camped in the Valley we avoided it like the Plague. My family OWNED a house with-in the boundary of Yosemite National Park. (we lost it when a fire storm rolled through back in the late 80's). I know the roads into the park very well as well as back roads into the park.

All I was asking was there any spots in the Valley that could accommodate a 40ft MH and what was your experience.

Please DO NOT be offended that I am writing this because I appreciate each and every one of your responses.

I live close enough to where we can make a day trip and check out the sites that Dashonthedash posted...

Again thank you all very much.

I think one reason Kings Canyon (first stop out of Yosemite) was a big hit for us was it was the first real big trees we had seen since KY and they were so much bigger than anything we had ever seen. We drove to the north point to ride horses but got there too late in the day.

My dad was Joseph but everyone wanted to call him Joe and he did not like it. He searched for a name that had no common nickname associated with it so he named me Gale. I lived up to the name by being a big wind.

Actually the name as given me an edge on life. When a alpha male shows up most are caught off guard.

Just Lee

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK small world. We retired in 2008 and moved to Portland Tn. for 3yrs. Loved it there but missed family. So we are back in Calif.

Road trip this spring is to Tennessee via the WHOLE 444 miles of the Natchez Trace South to North

If It weren't for flash backs I would have no Memory at all
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

2013 View Profile 24G
96 Tracker 4x4 Pushing a Mercedes.

In God We Trust

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we stayed in North Pines and the first 6 sites on the left, when you enter, were big enough for larger rigs.
there were a number of large Class A's and 5th wheels there.

didn't see anything in Upper Pines big enough for a rig your size.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

lmsteck

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some links to the Yosemite NP site that will tell you which sites you will fit into...

RV Camping

*click on the link to each campground and it will take you to a page that gives details on that campground.

Upper Pines Campground

*There's a link on this page that will give "a list of sites sorted by RV length." Each of the campgrounds has a details page and a list of sites sorted by RV length.

It's important to note that there are sites that are very long that you would fit into that are not rated for an RV of your lenth because of maneurverability.

on edit - I think North Pines and Lower Pines might be the only campgrounds you'll fit into, at least in the valley.

Dashonthedash

CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

we stayed in North Pines and the first 6 sites on the left, when you enter, were big enough for larger rigs.
there were a number of large Class A's and 5th wheels there.

didn't see anything in Upper Pines big enough for a rig your size.

The sites bikendan mentions have a maximum allowable RV size of 35 feet. You won't be able to reserve those unless you "lie" about your size. I do not know the actual site length.

Gary Shapiro
Col. Dash - GSD, DOTL Rainbow Division, in my heart forever
Spc. Lily - 11-year-old Greyhound (Racing School drop-out)
Spc. Molly - 10-year-old GSD Mix (aka Honey Badger)
Shadow - 3-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Mtrain

Burbank

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi. We stayed last year in Upper Pines site #19 in a 34 foot motorhome, even though the website stated a 24 foot maximum. I called the Campground office, then the ranger station and the nice gentleman gave me the actual dimensions of the sites I was looking at, they don't necessarily match what the website states. The campground office # is 209-372-8502. Good luck, we can't wait to get there again in August!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite Valley Camping in a 40ft Motor Home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS