RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues: Allergies

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am once again (second year) coughing, sniffing and sneezing. I looked at the cough syrup the doc gave me and it was exactly the same time last year. So now I have allergies. Does anyone know of good OTC allergy meds? My dh is saying I should go to the doctor but I don't think he's going to give me anything different than what I can buy over the counter. I wonder why I have allergies now after years of nothing?

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

every one has allergies. they lay around in your body until something, they don't know what. what ever it is jump starts the allergies. I was the same way when I was younger. I can always tell that spring is in the air, (I don't need a ground hog). as My eyes start watering and itching. I go through eye drops like they were M & M's. OTC I just buy eye drops and any thing that help the itching and dryness feeling. Claritin and Allegra are OTC bow. Singular is still prescription

Retired Wileys

Lake Jackson, Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one of the air purifiers with multiple filters and it helps my allergies. With such a warm winter everything is already blooming along the Gulf Coast.

Herschal & Pam Wiley
2003 2500HD Crewcab Chevy
26H 2000 Prowler LS w/slide

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input, my cup runneth over lol! I am taking Costco brand allergy meds. They are ok I guess. Kirkland is the name. I am over 60 so yes I should consider what I take carefully, thanks for the heads up with that!!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because you have gotten older.......

Look at the active ingredients on your RX.....buy OTC with same.

Antihistamines......swelling, runny nose, itchy or watery eyes-----Claritin and Zyrtec.
Decongestants......relief of nasal and sinus congestion (may need to avoid if older adult or if you have high blood pressure)-----Sudafed
Claritin-D has both.

Check with your DOCTOR!!!!!

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you have finally been exposed to something enough that you have a sensitivity to it. one allergy doctor I went to years ago explained it by saying if you keep putting a spoonful of water in a cup sooner or later it will get full and start overflowing. some of use have small cups and some of large cups but eventually if you live long enought your cup will get full

I use allegra regularly as soon as stuff begins to bud out through mid-summer. depending on where you are, it could be something indoors or out.. here, with the mild winter we have, we already have trees pollinating.

GizmosMom

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Central Texas and many people around here suffer from many allergies. What works for some people may not work for others. I have tried Claritin, Alegra, Benadryl (Yes, the poster above is correct--you feel like a zombie), and others. It's a mystery to me why some work for some of my friends and other brands work well for others. You may need to experiment.

A long time ago I read where you should eat a lot of local honey and that will help your allergies. Not sure if this is true but a spoonful of local honey every day could not hurt, I guess. (i need to remember to try that!)

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2000 Xplorer Class B van, usually pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm taking equate (walmart brand) allergy and decongestant. Also primary doctor a long time ago told me to take B Complex and C vitamins mixed together. After about 6 weeks I built up resistance to the allergies and they improved (not completely gone). Read the label and check with your doctor if you have high blood pressure or take other drugs. My sister's doctor told her to take Loratidine because she has high blood pressure.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Monaco Montclair

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look get busy and
Figure it out I did. I taught my self what starts it. Wow got it going now. The biggest thing , the nety potty Im telling u works for me , got my life back oh by the way. Happy camping

Searching_Ut

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've found the only over the counter drug that works at all for me is Benadryl, but it tends to make you an almost zombie till you get used to it after a couple weeks.

Long term I've been doing the desensitization shots for a couple years now, and they seem to be really helping.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS