RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long is too long?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 05:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 19' Scamp fiver (actually a gooseneck) and 4WD double cab Tacoma setup is about as large as we can go and still get to our favorite USFS sites here in the southeast. Height is a tad over 9' and weight around 3,250.

We had a 16' Scamp for several years and this has proven to be a great upgrade.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Another thought, when I bought my TV I intended to get a small FW. I wasn’t in a hurry, though, and as I got educated I went with a TT instead. The big drawbacks were the pin weight on a half ton, the loss of the bed of my truck, and a biggie – they’re higher than a TT and would have prevented me from getting back in the forested areas I frequent.

This ultra-small FW would probably get you way back in safely and reliably with only a half-ton pickup TV. It's not tall, and of course offers the same advantage over a TT that all FW's offer over a TT - good, but not excessive, vertical weight pressing downward unto both front and rear axles of the tow vehicle for a level ride and great rear wheel (and 4X4 front wheel) traction:

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/19FifthWheelTrailers.aspx

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 19' Class B to a 22' TT over a year ago. We find we can still get into the kinds of cg's that we like, but we do have to watch the height. We pulled into a favorite campsite at a GA state park and learned that the oak tree had a bend in it about 10 feet up. Opps! Never noticed that before. For two adults, the space in the TT is fine, especially since we have the back of the truck for our toys. lizzie

Eurocamper

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a tradeoff between accessibility and livability. Every foot you go longer, the list of potential campsites you can get into gets shorter.I have stayed in some primo campsites in my tent trailer that would have been unavailable to me if my trailer had been even a foot or two longer.

* This post was edited 02/14/12 10:16pm by Eurocamper *

2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

nina_70

On wheels, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every foot will count, depending on the forest. We have a 40-foot Class A and manage to find forest campgrounds that can fit us, but we also find many more that don't!! Having a 35-footer would open up alot more spots, a 30-footer even more, and a 25-footer even more etc. etc.

My advise is have a click around below site on the various forest campgrounds in the areas you most like to visit. Size info (if they have it) is listed when you click it:
http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

oldbeek

lancaster CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 27ft 5r one slide. A 27 5r with truck is the same length as a 20tt and pickup. USFS standard for a lot of older cgs was a 20ft tt. The camp grounds are slowly getting pruned for the taller 5rs. Been to lots of gvt. cgs that my rig would fit in a just few sites and most sites were to small. 27 is very roomy and I would never go bigger.

1994 27sl Alpenlite, 2001 Dodge Cummins auto 3.54 stock

loggenrock

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Joel! Stick with the "B"! Our record is 101 days in our Roadtrek 190P (DW, 75# dog, myself) when we spent the summer travelling thru the Yukon and Alaska. You'll miss the accessibility! ST

Two and a hound in a 2003 Roadtrek 190P and a pair of Limmers...
First 50 done, working on the second pass!

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Truck and Camper is 20 feet 8 inches long.
It fits most anywhere.

Like your Class B on cold evenings our camper can feel small.
But our camper has 82 inch headroom and 79 inch headroom in the wet bath.
It also has twin made up 36 inch X 80 inch over cab beds. Son or brother come along an occasion.

We looked for something bigger but most are not bigger in the above dimensions when compared to our Lance.
So we must stay small to have big.(or tall at least)

We just try to avoid cold rainy evenings. Spending more time outdoors makes the camper seem much bigger.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Avoid cold rainy evenings?" No way -- that is boondocking heaven! (Assuming that you have not been cooped up all day, too.) We will never forget the first time it rained on our trailer. (Remember, we are from Southern California.) We were in Utah, near Zion, enjoying the after-dinner silence on a cold dark night in early April. Suddenly, we hear this tinkling noise -- like chocolate sprinkles hitting a cookie sheet. It took us a minute to figure it out!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to chuckle every time I read suggestions on not to get a big RV because you'll never fit. We have used national parks, national forests, Corps of Engineers and state park campgrounds while we've full-timed for the past 16 years. We always find sites to fit our 40' motorhome and previously with our 33' 5th wheel. We use Dow's forest camping site to make our choices and we find it to be very accurate. No, we don't fit in all of them but there are always some in the immediate area that we do fit. However, we tend to stay west of the Mississippi. If you're using the eastern public parks you might not have as good luck.

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS