RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Graphics Peeling off !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Graphics Peeling off !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TAS

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I contacted Keystone again w/ info from this thread. They wanted pictures (I sent them) to evaluate. They just e-mailed me to tell me a complete set was on the way. WHOOT WHOOT Even a blind squirrell finds a nut sometimes! lol

Todd
12 F-350 4x4 CC DRW
07 Dodge 2500, 4x4, CTD, 6spd (sold)
94 Harley FLSTC
98 TJ w/ a few mods
08 Fuzion 302
01 Rockwood 8292s (gone to a new home)
84 Jayco pop up (Sold but not frogotten)

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The graphics on my Komfort were not peeling off. The first year we spent a month in our 21T at Outdoor Resorts-Cathedral City amongst the fancy $ 500K motorhomes. It was hot.
Many of them had custom graphics on their tow'ed to match their motorhome.
I took the wife's hairdryer and removed the vinyl graphics from my travel trailer. It looked a lot cleaner. Palm Springs area is an RV mecca. Lots of RV shows. I got new fancy graphics on my Duramax while down there. I left off the name brand graphics on my trailer. I much prefer that look on my trailer, ten years later

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must be a real difference in graphics...our Bighorn will be 5 years old in July. It's never been garaged. It's been washed and waxed many times...even fully compounded with polishing compound, and the graphics still look almost new...not fading or peeling anywhere. Had it washed and hand waxed again today....VERY pleased with the way it's holding up.

2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

rsgs

Harrison Twp., Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vinyl graphics (even the 'new' ones) have an average life expectancy of 7 years. Usually sooner on boats or cheaper graphic material. If you plan on keeping your unit for less than 5 years, I wouldn't worry about it. Let the next guy anguish over them. My 5th wasn't home more than 24 hours before I took everyone off. Learned that from boating. If you have vinyl - they will fail - just a matter of when. If this is the last unit you plan on buying, have them replaced by paint.

John and Robyn
Annie and Emma
Penny (Brittany) Lucy (Golden Ret.)
·2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew LB Duramax/Allison
·2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk

Anthony J. Romeo

Dragoon Mountains, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DickandVicki wrote:

We have an '07 Keystone Cougar. Several months ago I emailed Keystone about a couple of peeling decals on our rig. The lady (Robyne) asked me to take a couple of pics and send them to her. A few weeks later she sent me what I needed. I just emailed her the other day to let her know about two more that were peeling and she readily agreed to send them to me. I was blessed so far in that my old ones peeled off fairly easy, then I used Goof Off to remove the adhesive residue. I used a soapy water solution to install the new ones - it worked really well.

Dick & Vickie,
Please tell us about your soapy water proceedure; Where do you apply the soapy water?? and does this hamper with the adheasive at all?? or does it not come in contact with the adhesive side of the decal??

Anthony J. Romeo

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wewere advised at the Montana rally in Goshen in Sept of 2011 that indeed Keystone had a new graphcs vendor and they were of a different material.
That is ALL I know Our graphics on our 06 3400 Montana held up well till this year and now we have some peeling .\We were also advised that keystone would handle all graphic issues and apparently they are doing a good job doing it. Keystone bashers aside.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

up2nogood

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anthony J. Romeo wrote:

DickandVicki wrote:

We have an '07 Keystone Cougar. Several months ago I emailed Keystone about a couple of peeling decals on our rig. The lady (Robyne) asked me to take a couple of pics and send them to her. A few weeks later she sent me what I needed. I just emailed her the other day to let her know about two more that were peeling and she readily agreed to send them to me. I was blessed so far in that my old ones peeled off fairly easy, then I used Goof Off to remove the adhesive residue. I used a soapy water solution to install the new ones - it worked really well.

Dick & Vickie,
Please tell us about your soapy water proceedure; Where do you apply the soapy water?? and does this hamper with the adheasive at all?? or does it not come in contact with the adhesive side of the decal??

I used a spray bottle with water, and a couple drops of baby shampoo , what is does is allow you to get the graphics in the right place without sticking to much, I sprayed the graphics on the adhesive side as well as the surface they are going on. I used the hinge method to install. I also used the spray on the outside surface of the graphics to allow the squeegee to slide on the graphics more easily without marring the graphics. You squeegee all the water solution and air bubbles out from underneath allowing the graphic to stick. I found that the job went better on a warm day, but not in direct sunlight. Hope this helps

Anthony J. Romeo

Dragoon Mountains, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick & Vicki,

Thanks for the rapid comeback and great information.
Being an old retired navy question & answer type, I have a few more questions if you don't mind..and all questions are not stupid ones for there are "NO" stupid questions, right??
I think I understand your procedure with the soap/water(shampoo) application.. and thank you for graphic installation simplification process.
Hinge method?? is this when you fold the graphic to assist with position placement with the adhesive paper removed??

DickandVicki

Canton, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Anthony,

It was someone else who answered you, but other than the "hinge" method, I did exactly what he did. After I removed the old graphics and had cleaned the old adhesive off (Goof Off works really well) I used blue painters tape and/or pencil marks at the margins where the old graphics were to help me place the new ones. When I went to apply the graphics, I made sure the adhesive side was nice and wet, and that the rv surface was wet also, then using my guidelines (tape or pencil marks) I set the graphic on the surface, scooted it where it needed to be, then squeeged the water out from underneath (hold onto the graphic with your other hand). Eventually any leftover water underneath that you can't squeegee out evaporates and it sticks really well.

'07 Keystone Cougar 292RKS 5th wheel
2001 F250 SD diesel ext. cab short bed
Banks Six Gun tuner
DW (best friend) of 46 years Miss Vicki
Border Collie/Husky "Miss Nikki"
Retired and enjoying life

up2nogood

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anthony J. Romeo wrote:

Dick & Vicki,

Thanks for the rapid comeback and great information.
Being an old retired navy question & answer type, I have a few more questions if you don't mind..and all questions are not stupid ones for there are "NO" stupid questions, right??
I think I understand your procedure with the soap/water(shampoo) application.. and thank you for graphic installation simplification process.
Hinge method?? is this when you fold the graphic to assist with position placement with the adhesive paper removed??

It is called the center hinge method, its where you tape the graphic in the middle after it is in position, and then start from the middle removing the backing from one side, spraying it with the soapy water, and then using the squeegee working the graphic to the end, now you have half the graphic stuck down, remove the tape from the center, remove the backing spray the soapy water ,and squeegee out to the other end . This way you are not trying to work the whole graphic at the same time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Graphics Peeling off !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS