|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Motor Aid on New Winnebago

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cat320

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm wrote:

Motor Aide is not a second furnace and it is not a heat pump.

To supply heat to the rear of the coach it is a auxiliary heater that runs off engine coolant. It is the same type of rear heater that you find in buses like a school bus or a airport shuttle bus.

The Aqua Hot does the same thing. We have a diesel boat that also heats water by the engine running.

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

I agree that Motor Aid from the factory is only to heat the hot water heater.

Yet who knows what a prior owner installed in your coach? If you do have a fan coil, with water tubing that gets hot while driving, then you only need to find the fan switch, and turn it on on cold days. There might be a valve under the hood that controls water volume to the heater core, or not? Or the valve might be near the heater unit.

Fred.

Although Winnebago supplies some MotorAid systems that only heat the water in the water heater tank, for years they have also supplied MotorAids with a small radiator in the back (often under the bed - mine is under the refrigerator) that is inline with the engine coolant as is the heat exchanger tube welded to the water heater tank.

A two speed switch on the dash activates a fan that blows air through the radiator and circulates hot air to heat the back of the coach.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Duane

Apex, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charles for what it's worth... on my 37L, the "coach heater" that you are asking about in my rig is "upstream" of my water heater at mid coach. Although I have never tested it, I would think that it heats that little radiator all the time as long as the engine is running beacuse the coolant hose leave it and are routed back to the water heater.... My "heater" is physically located under the fridge, and our fridge is located mid coach. The water heater is located underneath the kitchen sink a "stove and small counter length back". Like others have said, all I have on the dash is a rocker switch that is high, low, or off.

Duane, Claudine and Ashleigh Miller
Apex, NC

2009 Winnebago Sightseer 37L on a Ford Chassis

Gary.

Yukon, OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one of those BUS type heaters on a 1985 Winnabago sunflyer. It was in the back under the bed and it had controls on it on the bed fram. I know it had a knob to turn on the blower and I am thinking that it also had a water control in order to shut off the water flow. You could only operate it from the controls that were on it in the bedroom.

ct1978barnes

Bryan Ohio USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all the help. We will be getting our coach out of storage in a few weeks and heading to Myrtle Beach to visit my daughter so we will try the heater out leaving cold Ohio and also see if we have hot water when we are on the road. This is a great site with great people.

Charles Barnes

rondeb

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think what you are referring to is a Coach heating system that runs off the radiator to the rear of the coach. Just turn it on. We have 2 vents in the rear that blow hot while we are going down the road if we turn it on. It is run off your radiator hot water and is great. No need to run LP heat.

bigcritter

Olympia, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 01:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have the motoraid option on my 30W, but I don't seem to have any additional fans (in the coach) tied into the system, nor do I have any switches on the dash for a fan anywhere in the coach. I wish I did, because sometimes the heat coming out of the dash vents (even though it's 112 deg F) just gets lost in such a huge space. I can't understand why they would install motoraid as an option, but NOT put in the additional fan & switch. :>(

Marty & Terri, & our "fur-kids, Harley (Harlequin Great Dane) & Rosie (Boston Terrier), and Zephyr (Chinese Crested hairless).

bigcritter

Olympia, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 01:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rondeb wrote:

I think what you are referring to is a Coach heating system that runs off the radiator to the rear of the coach. Just turn it on. We have 2 vents in the rear that blow hot while we are going down the road if we turn it on. It is run off your radiator hot water and is great. No need to run LP heat.

What switch are you turning on to activate the system? I don't have any extra switches on my dash for rear heat. :>(

ct78barnes

Bryan Ohio USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 04:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had it looked at a a Winnebago dealer and behind the power center there was one of those black heater houses crimped off like a garden house you would crimp to stop the flow after 10 months I have a rear heater that will blow you out of the rear of the coach and steaming hot water when we get to the campground. Thanks for all the help.

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motor aid has nothing to do with the front heater, you only have to turn the fan on unless they have changed in the past few years, Call tec support.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Motor Aid on New Winnebago
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS