RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Saw a really nice trailer this weekend.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Saw a really nice trailer this weekend.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I say nice, it was nice for DW and I. It wouldn't be for others, especially those who need sleeping space for more than two.

It was a Flagstaff 23FB. The upside was 1) the nice sized bathroom, including the glassed in corner shower. 2) the Murphy bed. The Murphy bed is so easy to set up for sleeping, and closing up for the day. After observing the salesman a couple of times, I was able to do the same demonstration for several other folks who looked at the trailer.

It doesn't have a slide, which DW likes. But with the Murphy bed in the up position there is a jack knife sofa in place with lots of room around it, plus a 40" wide dinette.

The only down side to the models that have Murphy beds is the almost total lack of outside storage, particularly pass through storage up in the front of the trailer.

I will have to wrestle with whether I want to trade the outside storage (and be forced to put things like the WD spring bars, etc in the back of the pickup) for the gain in space inside.

After I retire, and we head across country, I'd probably just leave the Murphy down most of the time. However, during the fall and the football tailgating season, the 4 place dinette and 3 person sofa would really come in handy at times, especially on really cold weekends, and on wet weekends.

EDIT-Let me add, the dry hitch weight, before the battery, propane, and water is added, rings up at a healthy 14.8% That Murphy bed does put some serious weight on the tongue.-EDIT

Unfortunately, there was no Koala models at the RV show to look at. I really like them, just going by what I've seen in brochures and pictures on the internet.

There were 2 larger than I want Walkabouts there. The Walkabouts and Koala's are like Rockwood and Flagstaff.

There were two things I really didn't like in the pass through storage bay. 1) was cosmetic and just made a difference in public perception of "fit and finish". The linoleum that most makers run from the living space up through the pass through storage compartment was just poorly done. the end of the linoleum was jaggedly cut, and just stapled in places to hold it down. For a couple of dollars per unit, they could have finished it off and made it look nice. Use either a wood, or plastic type of molding to cover the jagged edge, or even a thin piece of wood strip, to do the same thing.

Most of the other trailers makers did just that, and the "fit and finish" looked much better.

The other item could become a big problem. The wiring harness for all the lights up front, like running lights and hitch light ran across the top of the pass through, and then down the back side of the wall of the pass through.

In one of the trailers, the wiring harness goes straight down through the floor, about an inch from the back frame of the pass through. This one is bad enough since those wires are sitting out to be hit by something being put in the pass through.

The second example was really bad though. In the second TT, the wiring harness was squeezed by the aluminum frame that formed the back side of the pass through. I can just see that wire being mashed more, and flexed more over time and maybe some of the wires shorting. Not a good thing.

* This post was edited 02/13/12 04:12am by Atlee *

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

rjf7g

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at the Richmond RV show yesterday. One thing I noticed in looking at bunk houses with no slides is that the bathrooms seemed to be really small in all of them. I also noticed that the only ceiling vents were in the bathroom. I really like opening a window and the vent in my bedroom on cool evenings.

2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjf7g wrote:

I was at the Richmond RV show yesterday. One thing I noticed in looking at bunk houses with no slides is that the bathrooms seemed to be really small in all of them. I also noticed that the only ceiling vents were in the bathroom. I really like opening a window and the vent in my bedroom on cool evenings.

My wife noticed that a lot of those smaller trailers didn't have a second vent in them, and that's important to us.

During October, early November football games, when we leave the dog in our current Roadtrek, we leave windows cracked and the Fantastic fan going. Keeps the inside pretty cool.

She would want a vent up in the main living area of any trailer she would buy.

The Micro Lites from Flagstaff all had a second vent. It wasn't powered, but a fan could be put in it.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a really huge toy hauler trailer this weekend at a Lakeside CA RV show at the rodeo parking area. It was about 40' long, with 3 slides, one in the kitchen was nice, except you can not open either refrigerator without sliding out the slide at least part way. What are they thinking, that we want to put out the slides in a parking lot while getting groceries? IF they had just made the countertop about 4" shorter on both ends, both refrigerator doors would have cleared the countertop. Yes a refrigerator at each end of the slide out, each about 10 cubic feet, you could run one or both for a longer camping trip.

The thing must sleep about 10 people too! 2 in the forward queen bed with a driver's side slide out closet, and then a really long couch that took up most of a 14' long slide out, and bunk bed over the bulkhead to the rear garage area, with an electric drop down bed, and electric drop down convertible couch / bed that can fold to look out the back door, or into the center of the garage area. So you can sleep 6 without using the couch that turns into the dinette area. The bunk beds could also sleep about 6-8 little kids that are less than about 4' tall, if in there side by side, the bed is a full 60" x 90" in the bunk area.

Fred.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 04:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

I saw a really huge toy hauler trailer this weekend at a Lakeside CA RV show at the rodeo parking area. It was about 40' long, with 3 slides, one in the kitchen was nice, except you can not open either refrigerator without sliding out the slide at least part way. What are they thinking, that we want to put out the slides in a parking lot while getting groceries? IF they had just made the countertop about 4" shorter on both ends, both refrigerator doors would have cleared the countertop. Yes a refrigerator at each end of the slide out, each about 10 cubic feet, you could run one or both for a longer camping trip.

The thing must sleep about 10 people too! 2 in the forward queen bed with a driver's side slide out closet, and then a really long couch that took up most of a 14' long slide out, and bunk bed over the bulkhead to the rear garage area, with an electric drop down bed, and electric drop down convertible couch / bed that can fold to look out the back door, or into the center of the garage area. So you can sleep 6 without using the couch that turns into the dinette area. The bunk beds could also sleep about 6-8 little kids that are less than about 4' tall, if in there side by side, the bed is a full 60" x 90" in the bunk area.

Fred.

Understand what you are saying concerning slides blocking vital stuff. It makes no sense to have to deploy the slide when one just wants to use the potty, get a quick bite to eat, or get a cold soft drink at a rest stop, or where ever.

Seems like the designers do not think sometimes about how folks are going to use the TT. Sometimes I wonder if the folks who design the trailers actually use TT's to camp or travel.

electrician549

Finksburg, MD.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forget which murphy bed model it was that my wife and I saw at the Chantilly show but if the bed was in the down position you would have to crawl over the bed to get out of the door.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

electrician549 wrote:

I forget which murphy bed model it was that my wife and I saw at the Chantilly show but if the bed was in the down position you would have to crawl over the bed to get out of the door.

With the 23FB, which we're interested in, there is lots of room to enter the TT. The end of the bed isn't close to the entrance pathway.

21FB(opt) & 23LB (opt) there is decent space. The edge of the mattress is along side the entrance pathway.

19RB & 25KS are tight. End of bed definitely protrudes into the entrance pathway.

The 19FB basically blocks the entrance pathway.

electrician549

Finksburg, MD.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

With the 23FB, which we're interested in, there is lots of room to enter the TT. The end of the bed isn't close to the entrance pathway.

21FB(opt) & 23LB (opt) there is decent space. The edge of the mattress is along side the entrance pathway.

19RB & 25KS are tight. End of bed definitely protrudes into the entrance pathway.

The 19FB basically blocks the entrance pathway.

Thank You! We are going to the Timonium MD show next weekend and will look for the models that you mention that do not block the doorway.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Saw a really nice trailer this weekend.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS