RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: CG with no Cable

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > CG with no Cable

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
h2guy

Ain't seen a sign yet!

Senior Member

Joined: 03/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/13/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

you have to make sure your antenna is capable of receiving digital signals


No such thing as a "digital" antenna.

There are some sold that will enhance a digital signal, but your normal "batwing" antenna on the typical RV will do just fine. Just a little more sensitive in pointing at the station.


Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver


bikendan

Napa, Cal.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/13/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

h2guy wrote:

old guy wrote:

you have to make sure your antenna is capable of receiving digital signals


No such thing as a "digital" antenna.

There are some sold that will enhance a digital signal, but your normal "batwing" antenna on the typical RV will do just fine. Just a little more sensitive in pointing at the station.


agreed, "digital" antennas are not necessary.
it's the tv or box that has to be.

* This post was edited 02/13/12 12:52pm by bikendan *


Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes


Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/13/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

you have to make sure your antenna is capable of receiving digital signals


If the antenna is the equivalent of a piece of wire held up in the air that is capable of gathering an electromagnetic signal from the air, then it will work fine for everything from an old Marconi radio to a modern television. There's nothing mystical about an antenna... it's what the antenna feeds that matters.


----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

tbolt2000

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/24/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/13/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

......Somewhere in your RV is a switch box, it may be a box of many buttons or it may be a wall switch plate with a 12 volt outlet, a switch, an LED and an antenna connection, often this is near the "MAIN" television. Operate the switch, turn on the light and .. job done. now crank up and aim. (This can take some doing, ask if you need suggesitons)


What if you dont have anything like this. I have a new 2004 Arolite Cub 233 (new to me) and it has a cable connection outside and a roof top antenna but I dont see any place where I can switch ir form the cable connection to the roof antenna.
Any suggestions?


I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.

LadyRVer

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 09/04/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/13/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought; for our Class B, I had to get the converter box. The one I purchased did not have a volume control on the remote.. could not get much (if any) sound out of the TV with the volume on the TV turned full blast. Had to end up buying a pair of computer speakers and plugging them into the audio jack.
We now have sound! Me thinks should have just bought a new digital TV!

MauryFrench

Wylie, TX

Full Member

Joined: 09/01/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/13/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

you have to make sure your antenna is capable of receiving digital signals


If it is one of the standard Winegard RV antennas it will be just fine for the digital signal. I used a old Winegard with rotted connections for a while and it worked fine.


Maury French
1990 Hitchhiker II 26 ft 5th Wheel.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/14/12 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:



If the antenna is the equivalent of a piece of wire held up in the air that is capable of gathering an electromagnetic signal from the air, then it will work fine for everything from an old Marconi radio to a modern television. There's nothing mystical about an antenna... it's what the antenna feeds that matters.


I found out that it wouldn't work with my crystal set however.
bumpy





spud57

Stratford PE

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/14/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tbolt2000 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

......Somewhere in your RV is a switch box, it may be a box of many buttons or it may be a wall switch plate with a 12 volt outlet, a switch, an LED and an antenna connection, often this is near the "MAIN" television. Operate the switch, turn on the light and .. job done. now crank up and aim. (This can take some doing, ask if you need suggesitons)


What if you dont have anything like this. I have a new 2004 Arolite Cub 233 (new to me) and it has a cable connection outside and a roof top antenna but I dont see any place where I can switch ir form the cable connection to the roof antenna.
Any suggestions?


All you have to do to switch between either is:

To watch antenna reception, you will need the amplifier on for your antenna. There should be a little button on one of your wall plates. It is on when the green LED in lit.

To watch cable, turn the LED off.

S


2008 F250 XLT 4x4 SC LB V10
2010 Outback 321FRL 5th wheel

MauryFrench

Wylie, TX

Full Member

Joined: 09/01/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/14/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I have a rather large antenna on my RV now; it was a radio antenna from a ship. When I have it completely horizontal it works great with the UHF stations, but sketchy with the VHF stations. After a lot of changes I find it works the best at a 45 degree angle for all stations. I am in the Houston area about 10 miles from the Antenna farm in a wooded RV park.

The antenna was free in case you wonder why I use it.

I can't figure out why the 45 degree angle works so well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > CG with no Cable
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS