RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Planning summer 2012 cross-country trip -seeking feedback!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Planning summer 2012 cross-country trip -seeking feedback!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Molly928

Central NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
We are planning a 4-week trip for August 2012 to the Four Corners/Grand Circle area. I've used lots of information from the forums here to plan, but would love to hear any comments on our proposed itinerary. As background, my family consists of myself, my husband (both in our mid-40's), 14-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter. We drive a 35-foot Class A Motorhome with a Jeep Grand Cherokee as our toad. We've got one previous cross-country trip under our belts, in the summer of 2010 (Wisconsin Dells, MN, Badlands, Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons).
Here's our current plan:
Days 1-5: Depart from central NY, work our way out west, visiting family along the way;
Days 6-7: Rocky Mountain National Park, stay at Moraine Park CG;
Days 8-9: Moab, UT; stay at Moab Valley RV Resort: Visit Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Point SP;
Days 10-11: Bryce Canyon NP; stay at Ruby's Inn CG
Day 12: Stop at Zion NP en route to Grand Canyon North Rim
Days 12-14: Stay at Grand Canyon North Rim CG
Days 15-16: Lake Powell; stay at Wahweap CG; rent boat to explore lake;
Days 17-18: Stop at Four Corners en route to Ouray, CO; stay at KOA Ouray; Possible activities: Ouray Hot Springs, Million Dollar Highway, Silverton-Durango Train Ride;
Day 19: Great Sand Dunes (where to stay?)
Days 20-21: Colorado Springs; visit friends/family, stay at Falcon Meadow CG
Days 22-26: Head back east, visit family along the way.
if you have any comments or suggestions of things to do in the areas we're visiting, please let me know! My daughter and I enjoy horseback riding, and husband and son enjoy motorcycling. We all enjoy hiking and swimming.
I'd also love comments about any hazards or roads to avoid with a MH. Also, are there any guidebooks for that area that you have found particularly helpful?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

JaBob

Roswell, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a great trip. We do not schedule every day, but if that's your way DO IT.
Happy travels.

Bob

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cross country RV trips and absolutely great...
We have done a couple of them...but we just headed East and more or less figured out the next couple of days as we wandered along.

No set schedule.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Molly928 wrote:

Hi all,
We are planning a 4-week trip for August 2012 to the Four Corners/Grand Circle area. I've used lots of information from the forums here to plan, but would love to hear any comments on our proposed itinerary. As background, my family consists of myself, my husband (both in our mid-40's), 14-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter. We drive a 35-foot Class A Motorhome with a Jeep Grand Cherokee as our toad. We've got one previous cross-country trip under our belts, in the summer of 2010 (Wisconsin Dells, MN, Badlands, Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons).
Here's our current plan:
Days 1-5: Depart from central NY, work our way out west, visiting family along the way;
Days 8-9: Moab, UT; stay at Moab Valley RV Resort: Visit Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Point SP;
Day 12: Stop at Zion NP en route to Grand Canyon North Rim
Days 15-16: Lake Powell; stay at Wahweap CG; rent boat to explore lake;
Days 17-18: Stop at Four Corners en route to Ouray, CO; stay at KOA Ouray; Possible activities: Ouray Hot Springs, Million Dollar Highway, Silverton-Durango Train Ride;
Day 19: Great Sand Dunes (where to stay?)There is a NPS campground in the park
Days 20-21: Colorado Springs; visit friends/family, stay at Falcon Meadow CG If you like tourist type activities Colorado Springs is a Mecca for it. Cave of the Winds, Seven Falls, Cliff Dwellings, Pikes Peak and many others.
if you have any comments or suggestions of things to do in the areas we're visiting, please let me know! My daughter and I enjoy horseback riding, and husband and son enjoy motorcycling. We all enjoy hiking and swimming.
I'd also love comments about any hazards or roads to avoid with a MH. Also, are there any guidebooks for that area that you have found particularly helpful?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

Sounds like a great trip. You mentioned Yellowstone/Tetons area but didn't see it in your schedule. IN that area you might want to avoid Teton Pass and it's 10% grades. Other than that don't see anything to avoid. Like "downtheroad" we travel without much pre-planning and with much less of a former schedule so if we find an area that doesn't live up to expectations we move on and if we find one that we particularly love, we stay longer but I know there can be many reasons for tight scheduling.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

aviator

America the Beautiful

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a great trip, if you allow proper time. I do think you are not allowing enough time to travel or sight see. Most of the entries you are traveling and sight seeing the same day. If you travel and check in to a campground and set up, when do you sightsee that day, unless you view with the night owls? When you check into a campground one day and leave the next, they expect you will leave in the morning, when do you sightsee that day? Your destinations are not just a couple miles down the road from each other.

aviator

John Jasper

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Molly928, your schedule seems to be more a forced march than a vacation. Yes, you’ll come home with bragging rights about having been to all these wonderful places, but will not have had time to enjoy them. Furthermore, in my experience, moving the rig every other day is a real grind.

I suggest reducing the number of places you visit in favor of spending more time at those where you do stop.

John

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with others that it seems like a lot of forced march but we have done that too. I would suggest Dead Horse Point SP if available instead of the big city of Moab. Nothing against Moab, I love lunch at the brewery but DHP is really nice has hook ups and is centrally located. We first went there in the early seventies with our DDs and the road was dirt ruts and no buildings anywhere, took the DGKs last year and stayed at Arches and DHP, wish we had spent all our nights at DHP. You didn't say if your towed is 4X4 or not but if it is going into the canyon from Island in the Sky is really cool. Our DGD was on the cliff side of the towed and thought we would fall off but I loved it and we would do it again, think I'll tell DW to make that a reality.

We stayed at Ruby's one april, they were gracious enough to plow out twelve sites for those of us that wanted to be there. Snow everywhere, had a grand time. DGKs want to go back. At Lake Powell I'd take a tour on the lake and the Indian tour of Antelope Canyon. If I had a choice of the two I'd pick the Canyon tour and buy a DSLR for picture taking. Amazing place.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

wilanddij

CA Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a great three month trip, unfortunately you're doing it in four weeks. Be prepared for some pretty hot temps in August in the southwest desert. That's when we head for the Pacific coast.

Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Day 12: Stop at Zion NP en route to Grand Canyon North Rim(Zion Park has awesome hiking trails, I would consider spending an extra day vs the GC)
Days 15-16: Lake Powell; stay at Wahweap CG; rent boat to explore lake; I would allow 1 full day on the lake, get up into one of the canyons, this may be the highlight of your trip

Days 17-18: Stop at Four Corners (drive past 4 corners, there is a fee to look at a plaque in the ground) en route to Ouray, CO; stay at KOA Ouray; Possible activities: Ouray Hot Springs, Million Dollar Highway, Silverton-Durango Train Ride;
Day 19: It will take a full day in a RV the mountain passes just kill time Great Sand Dunes (where to stay?) I would look into white water rafting in Canon City vs the Great Sand Dunes, I love these guys and your kids will too. http://www.raftecho.com/
Days 20-21: Colorado Springs; visit friends/family, stay at Falcon Meadow CG

* This post was edited 02/13/12 11:16am by zman-az *

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are definitely trying to hit all the spots but IMO you won't have enough time to thoroughly enjoy them with all the driving and short durations at each juncture. Here's hoping you get the most out of your whirlwind tour of the Mountain West.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Planning summer 2012 cross-country trip -seeking feedback!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS