RV.Net Open Roads Forum: extreme weather rated truck camper ? which is /was best

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> extreme weather rated truck camper ? which is /was best

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
drhutch

Centennial, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only a bit off topic, I would say the best is the one you use for extreme weather. This old rig did pretty good, of course I was a bit less critical in those days. We lived pretty good in that old Hallmark, gravity furnace and all. Only froze the water system up once as I recall.
BTW that wire coming from the camper in the first photo isn't an electrical hook up, TV if I remember.
Hutch

2003 Chevy 3500 EC Dually Dmax/Allison / Lance 980 11'3" camper

NRA Life Member
US Army RVN 68-70
The summer of 69 was NOT the best years of my life.
RVing since 1976

Briand

South of Denver

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

Photomike wrote:

Northern Lite is rated high for insulation value. Would have to agree that for good low temp camping mods are required.

Northern Lite is only one inch thick bead board and shows condensation stains on the headliner after about two years. The problem is insulating the compounded curves in the fiberglass body with a flat rigid board insul on the roof and corners leaving an insulation void.

On mine you can feel cold creeping inside on the corners and the one inch bead board is cold esp. under the mattress, it telegraphs up thru.

When you get to know a NL camper well enough you can find where they did not insulate some areas.

What year?

'97 F-350, CC, PSD
'02 NL, Ten2000 RD

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cleary wrote:

Hey Joe,

Both our factory stock 1988 and 2001 Bigfoot campers worked fine up here at temps. well below zero F. Our current 2008 Okanagan does as well, however, it was customized by the factory for use here at 65 degrees north.

Chuck

It would be interesting to know what the factory did to the camper compared to one of their ordinary units????

Thanks

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow Longbox 200 Watts Solar, LED lights.
12 Volt DC Fridge.

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with you, I owned a Nordstar and went to Pyrenees with -25°C (-13°F) the night in comfort. We can add Artica camper, they have also the Alde heater.

Welcome on board

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

zildjian

northampton

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey I bought that model EC the other year although I doubt we'll see temperatures like that here in the UK,

saDgit

Europe

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys,
Don't forget us Europeans. My 'Easy Camper EC8L' was built in Dorotea, Sweden, just a few miles outside the Arctic Circle. It's fitted with an Alde wet central heating system and reputedly will maintain an internal temperature of 21 degrees C (70F) while the temperature outside is -35 degrees C (-31F). Although we've never tested it that cold, we have regularly camped in temperatures down around -14C (7F). No problems, and with the heating circulating under and around the overcab bed, a perfect nights sleep!

www.stuff-about-demountables.com

* This post was edited 02/14/12 10:54am by saDgit *

Martin

www.stuff-about-demountables.com

2008 Leisure Camper 'EC8L' on 2006 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4
before that
1995 Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on 1992 Ford P100
before that
1992 Amazon 20RB C-class on Ford E350

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Briand wrote:

covered wagon wrote:

Photomike wrote:

Northern Lite is rated high for insulation value. Would have to agree that for good low temp camping mods are required.

Northern Lite is only one inch thick bead board and shows condensation stains on the headliner after about two years. The problem is insulating the compounded curves in the fiberglass body with a flat rigid board insul on the roof and corners leaving an insulation void.

On mine you can feel cold creeping inside on the corners and the one inch bead board is cold esp. under the mattress, it telegraphs up thru.

When you get to know a NL camper well enough you can find where they did not insulate some areas.

What year?

I bought it new in 2003, an 03 10-2000 RR. I've had lots of trouble with it. Mostly leaks in the first few years.

A few tips... insulate behind the tail lights, the basement storage area sides and floor, the big escape hatch, under the mattress, power cord box and caulk around the fridge with clear caulk on the inside. Just a micro bead will stop a lot of cold air from coming in.. These chores made quite a difference in cold weather.

* This post was edited 02/14/12 07:56pm by covered wagon *

WesternRoamer

Pacific NW

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scientific data is, not surprisingly, rare, when it comes to these discussions. Any camper with access to AC will do fine in the cold provided the fuse panel does not blow. Outside of that, it starts getting interesting and it boils down to how cold and for how long. Stock campers sell to the normal summer camper, not winter sport nut cases, like us. From the base set of capabilities it is up to us to modify. I wouldn't have it any other way myself. Mods are just downright fun.

- WR
07 Bigfoot 25C10.6 - Trklft, FstGuns, Enclosed AGMs, Xtrx L20, PD9270C, Solar, ESPAR Aux Heat.
08 Ram 3500 CTD, 4x6, 6sp, 3.73, Ride-Rite, Frnt Hitch, Rear Stlth Rack, H2000i Gen, Jeep Tow.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did anyone mention CITATION TC with the 2" Polar Package?
I looked at one of those and it seemed like the best all weather TC with all the cold weather work they did to it. Heated tanks and all.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon is right on the tips i would insulate around the fridge too since it is open to the outside if it isn't already

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> extreme weather rated truck camper ? which is /was best
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS