RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Coach painting..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Coach painting..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dp4me

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. I'm going to chime in here regarding different quality levels of complete paint jobs. First off, I owned and operated a commercial Paint & Body shop for 17 yrs.

There is a wide difference in quality of paint jobs. It ranges from a quick prep, 2 or 3 color basic design sprayed in an 1 step enamel or urethane and send it out the door, to a highly labor intensive paint job such as removing all awnings, lights, emblems ect, detailed prepping of the coach including multiple coats of high quality primers and sealer, detailed design layout, 5/6 colors, and 6/7 coats of clear. Then after cutting (sanding) the entire clear coat smooth, and buffing the entire coach multiple times until there are NO imperfections of any kind and is a mirror finish. No orange peel, dust, ect.

The cut and buff alone on a 40' coach can easily take 100 man hrs or more and yes, there is night and day difference in the finish. Materials can of course vary in cost, but the real cost difference is in the man hrs on a high end quality job.

It really depends on what your wanting out of a paint job. If you have a coach and you just want a basic design fresh paint job, then it can be well under 10K. If you want a show quality, 6/7 colors, detailed design layout, turn heads kind of paint job then yes, it will be 20K give or take.

There are shops out there that spend 75/100 man hrs on a coach paint finish and there are some that can exceed 300/400 man hrs on a turn the head paint finish.

2009 Country Coach Intrigue Jubilee 45' 500HP Cummins.

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the true factory authorized paint shops for provosts is Xtreme Graphics in Nacogdoches Texas. They paint lots of coaches and you will love the attention to detail. The best part is that they have an apartment they will let you stay in while they paint your coach right next to the paint shop. I stayed there for a couple weeks one time. Oh and I had a fried decide to paint his coach himself and he spent over 20k to just buy the paint and clear coat. Some of the stuff is expensive. I know that Xtreme uses the best quality paints you can have. They buy in bulk so it is cheaper but I would say that the cost is at least 50 percent in in materials and it can take a month to prep and paint.

John
2001 42' Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree 24 Painted
2001 Jeep Wrangler for 300k miles
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie and Dolly (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts
Doodle a Black and Tan Cavalier
Lolly a Ruby Cavalier

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dp4me wrote:

OK. I'm going to chime in here regarding different quality levels of complete paint jobs. First off, I owned and operated a commercial Paint & Body shop for 17 yrs.

There is a wide difference in quality of paint jobs. It ranges from a quick prep, 2 or 3 color basic design sprayed in an 1 step enamel or urethane and send it out the door, to a highly labor intensive paint job such as removing all awnings, lights, emblems ect, detailed prepping of the coach including multiple coats of high quality primers and sealer, detailed design layout, 5/6 colors, and 6/7 coats of clear. Then after cutting (sanding) the entire clear coat smooth, and buffing the entire coach multiple times until there are NO imperfections of any kind and is a mirror finish. No orange peel, dust, ect.

The cut and buff alone on a 40' coach can easily take 100 man hrs or more and yes, there is night and day difference in the finish. Materials can of course vary in cost, but the real cost difference is in the man hrs on a high end quality job.

It really depends on what your wanting out of a paint job. If you have a coach and you just want a basic design fresh paint job, then it can be well under 10K. If you want a show quality, 6/7 colors, detailed design layout, turn heads kind of paint job then yes, it will be 20K give or take.

There are shops out there that spend 75/100 man hrs on a coach paint finish and there are some that can exceed 300/400 man hrs on a turn the head paint finish.

X2

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

Dp4me

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John S. wrote:

One of the true factory authorized paint shops for provosts is Xtreme Graphics in Nacogdoches Texas. They paint lots of coaches and you will love the attention to detail. The best part is that they have an apartment they will let you stay in while they paint your coach right next to the paint shop. I stayed there for a couple weeks one time. Oh and I had a fried decide to paint his coach himself and he spent over 20k to just buy the paint and clear coat. Some of the stuff is expensive. I know that Xtreme uses the best quality paints you can have. They buy in bulk so it is cheaper but I would say that the cost is at least 50 percent in in materials and it can take a month to prep and paint.

Did you mean that your friend spent 2K on paint materials? There is no way materials cost 20k? Materials are a lot less than 50% of a high end complete paint

Nomadac

Columbus, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dp4me wrote:

I totally agree. IMO Precision Painting is one of those shops. I have most of my service done at their shop and always view what they are painting in their shop and note the detail they do to perform excellent quality. They have excellent customer satisfaction.

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

chastho

arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nomadac wrote:

chastho wrote:

Feel free to spend all you want on your paint job, my suggestion is for the people that do not want or have to spend a fortune for a good paint job. You are doing a lot of talking when you have no idea what kind of job you can get in Red Bay.

I have looked at many Tiffin MH's including their top of the line models and have not found one that compares to Entegra or the previous Travel Supreme MH's for quality of paint, lack of depth, number of clear coats used, and general dullness compared to a mirror finish.

Years ago I worked at a Ford Assembly plant as a Paint foremen with extensive training and knowledge of painting. I participate in many car shows having cars with the best paint jobs that money can buy and you expect us to believe a $8500 paint job is comparable to $15K-$20K paint jobs? If you are satisfied, so be it but others may want something better.
Like I said before, if you want to spend 20k have at it. Most of us can not afford it and the 8k will do us just fine.

TEO

Inverness, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took a vacation to Puerto Penasco, Mexico two years ago and was approached to have our 36 ft Winnebago Journey painted. I checked out the guy's references and looked at some of the work he did. The fiberglass was in really tough shape from weathering (I'm the third owner). He quoted me $4500.00 for three colors and clear coat and he added the design we chose. It's not the equivalent of a $20,000 paint job, but it looks beautiful to me and it appears to be holding up very well. I say take a vacation to Mexico with some of the money you'll save on the paint job.

Paul & Helen
2002 Winnebago Journey DL
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco , and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Coach painting..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: