RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How do these newer jumbo haulers carry anything?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> How do these newer jumbo haulers carry anything?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
armyeng

Yelm Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mpierce wrote:

joebedford wrote:

mpierce wrote:

just bought voltage 3600. 5000# payload, rear 1/2 bath, with full bath up front, 12cu ft 4 door frig, largest tanks I could find. epic package is great.

I suspect VERY STRONGLY that when you get actual weights, you DO NOT have 5000# payload.

As used, I agree. That is a starting point. From that, all options, load etc. need to be subtracted.

As owner of a trucking company, I am well aware of loads, axle weights, etc.

I am picking it up the end of next week. There is a truck scale about 1/2 mile from the dealer. I am going to take it over there, and weigh it as it comes off the lot empty. Also weigh the pickup. I will then have all the weights.

I also weigh each axle seperately, to see if each axle is carrying about the same weight. If not, I need to adjust the hitch up or down to get them close.

I will post results here when I get them.

It seems like everyone wants a trailer that can be full of water, full of toys, carrying all your gear, still be under limit, and be inexpensive, all at the same time.

Cannot be done. At least, not at a price most are willing to pay. Just as in the trucking business, you need to work with your load.

Try to keep your water and waste load as low as possible. If boondocking, maybe fill tanks close to your camp spot. etc.

I know, how dare people want to use a TH for what it is "supposed" to be made for. Camp in, haul toys, gear, and the stuff you need to be self contained for a few days.
AND....
For a price that normal people can afford

* This post was edited 02/23/12 07:42am by armyeng *

joebedford

at stick house

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

joebedford wrote:

fly-boy wrote:

Exactly- Our living quarters horse trailer has got to have somewhere between 200 and 250 thousand miles on it. It still looks and works like new inside and out. Try doing that with an RV.

I don't disagree with you point - I have no experience with horse trailers.

However, before someone else goes down the horse trailer path, check your local regulations. Where I live, a living quarters horse trailer is specifically excluded from the definition of RV - it's a commercial vehicle. It may have ramifications on your licensing, insurance and who knows what else. YMMV.
In the US, if it has a kitchen and a bathroom, it's an RV. If you're using it for commercial purposes (hauling horses or cargo for hire), it's a commercial vehicle. A common RV toyhauler can be a commercial vehicle too, if it's being used for commercial purposes.

I don't disagree with you but the first site that came up when I Google'd "living quarters horse trailer commercial vehicle" came up with a pretty broad definition of "commercial" for horse trailers. It also says state regulations may be even more stringent - I have no interest in researching that, but it reinforces my original statement that people should "check your local regulations.

Check out item 5 for a definition of commercial

fly-boy

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't speak for other states but in CA you are required to have a non-commercial class A license for a horse trailer over 10,000 pounds- regardless of whether or not it has a kitchen/bathroom...

I know because I got pulled over by the CHP on I 80 along with a hundred other rigs on their way to Reno for a horse show. They were actually pulling us over for a safety inspection and the only thing they checked was the weight placard on the trailer and that you had the correct license.

They wrote a lot of tickets and it was not cheap- I went and got my non-commercial class A license shorty there after.

2012 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4x4
2009 WW HKD with a big garage
A few toys

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think my neighbor down the street found the answer. I see he has a Freightliner Class 7 almost sticking out in the street. It's hooked to what appears to be about 40'long, enclosed lowboy, dual rear tandem axles, large swing down side doors and some added windows. It has no apparent slideouts.

I'm guessing that he has 40K#s for the trailer rears and 20K#s rear tractor axle. I haven't stopped to beat on his door and demand a tour yet. But I'm really curious.

As long as your toys aren't more than 8' long it'd work well. If your toys are longer, then you'd have to convert to a regular height trailer, and ramps, I guess. You'd still have to install the amenities and interior finish to taste. This however would make overloading it a challenge, I think.

The tractor has stencils on the sides saying 'Private Coach Not for Hire. I think he's also added a rather large awning to the 'curb side'.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, my memory is failing. I just drove by it again, he wasn't home. It's not as heavy as I thought. Either that or he has multiple trailers. Hmmm.

The one there now has 3 axles, single tires,,, not duals. Three windows up front Driver side, two curbside, barn doors on curb as well as a 'walk' door. The rear is a full ramp drop door. Trailer axles are a bit forward maybe, like it was originally designed to haul two cars. Awning on curb.

But I swear, I saw a lowboy there the other day. Tandem duallies all the way back, with a long low belly.

Who knows, the tractor has a 'happy tag' in the windshield as well. Nice looking '7' with a 5'ish sleeper.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> How do these newer jumbo haulers carry anything?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS