RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: 53 foot motorhomes?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 53 foot motorhomes?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
vijay

The star

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

53 feet and sleeps 4...

Should we talk about the MPG?
'

You would be surprised, I'm Class A Commercial so I guess I know a little about tractors. That rig will average 8 MPG all day long(45-50K loaded). My Ford F350 dually with 7.3 PSD pulling a 6-10K is now averaging 12 or less and on a good day going down I-5 averaging 68 MPH with no load (tailgate open) I may be hitting 14 MPG.

skimask

ND

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shut the tailgate and MPG might go up a bit...

(oh...did I open up a can of worms? )

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 04:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

cm wrote:

turninghawk wrote:

vijay wrote:

Here are some measurements: The cab to front bumper is appr 10 feet (std)that includes the driver's seating area. So the usable space is apporx 43 feet at the very best.

So why not buy a 43' Class A with 43' of usable space?

Here is a couple of reasons. Towing capacity. The highest I have seen on a diesel pusher is 15,000 lbs. Some of the truck conversion motorhomes come with a 40,000 lb rated hitch and the capacity to use it.

Repairs and maintenance. In a truck conversion it takes about 30 sec to open the hood and look at or start working on the engine. With a diesel pusher how long will it take to pull the bedroom apart just to see the engine. That is why some truck repairs will either not work on diesel pushers or charge a higher labor rate for them.
Considering the rig is already 53 feet long, what could it possibly tow that would need a 40,000 rated hitch and not make the combined rig 100 feet long?

Exactly. We're entering 'ridiculous' territory now!.........

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

n7bsn wrote:

These typically never go to a campground, any more then the monster 1200 sq ft 5er's built by that firm in Florida (no I'm not kidding about the size) or the $2 M class A's

Where you would see them is at: Film location shoots, around the back at concert venues, etc. Being used by folk with large incomes, that need a "home"
Don't know about the 1200 sq ft fiver, but the 2 million Dollar class A buses come in all the time. Prevosts, Newells and the like aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but we usually have one or two on site at the parks at any given time. Tour buses used by bands and the like are usually made for traveling, not staying in. They have bunk beds and are designed more for the trip rather than staying in them. Most drive to the concert venues and the band then stay in Hotel rooms. I am curious how a fifth wheel, or any other highway legal rig, could obtain 1200 square feet. Even an oversized rig at 55 feet long and 10 feet wide (which would require a pilot car to travel on the highway) would only have 550 square feet. Slide outs could add a few hundred square feet, but you are still really, really short of 1200 square feet. I tried numerous google searches, and nothing remotely resembling such a rig comes up. Are you sure it isn't an urban myth?

They were on extreme rv's on the travel channel. They are called Anderson Mobil Estates built by the Anderson family (farther, son, daughter) and they push the 80k weight limit. Will Smith has one and the one they were building on the show was for Simon Cowell. They build to max length and width then they go up. That is right, they have an extendable second floor.
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skimask wrote:

Nope it was proven on both Myth Busters and I think Consumer Reports (or one of the other test places) that the tailgate down method actually increases the coefficient drag enough to decrease your mpg.
Todd

skimask

ND

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maddawgs wrote:

skimask wrote:

Nope it was proven on both Myth Busters and I think Consumer Reports (or one of the other test places) that the tailgate down method actually increases the coefficient drag enough to decrease your mpg.
Todd

Ya, I know, but it's kinda like those dime-a-dozen "get more fuel mileage and power" cheapo installation system argument type things.
Even though they've all been proven to be garbage time and time again, just the mention of them always seems to start something

vijay

The star

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another one of their creations that sleeps 33!
http://www.powerhousecoach.com/bucks%20ext.html

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vijay wrote:

Thanks guys,
Here are some measurements: The cab to front bumper is appr 10 feet (std)that includes the driver's seating area. So the usable space is apporx 43 feet at the very best.
In the end my question is, can I get "special" permits etc to drive this thing on CA roads?
The Truckers pull 53' trailer and a lot of them has a tractor wheel base of 300 inches, That makes them 75 foot long, So I do believe a 53' RV would not need a special licensing. Ca go's by the space from the center front axle to the center of the rears front axle anyway.

* This post was edited 02/16/12 08:47am by oldtrucker63 *

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

tboss

FLORIDA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I could afford something that big and expensive I wld just stay in a condo and let somebgody else worry with that big thang...

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

75 feet in length is legal for a combination truck and trailer. I'm not sure if this is nationwide but the maximum length for a single vehicle is 40 feet in my state, or 45 feet for an "autostage" which I think they mean a bus. Of course the dealers sell lots of motorhomes over 40 feet, but 53 feet for a single vehicle is pretty extreme. Legal or not I wouldn't want to drive it anywhere off the main highways.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 53 foot motorhomes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes