RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Why don't parents...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Why don't parents...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teach their kids NOT to run and/or yell in stores?

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vast majority of them do.

But the few who don't are a lot more noticeable.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always try and remember that when I was a child and when my kids were younger, there were no "big stores" except in the cities so when we went shopping, we shopped with our friends and neighbors--people who knew us well and there was a general expectation that children would be well mannered and, generally, they were. Everyone was involved--parents took extra care to make sure we didn't "act out" and we, as children, were held responsible for our behavior.
I can remember that the huge fear for both myself and my mother/father was getting lost in Famous/Barr in St. Louis on our annual Christmas shopping, window viewing trek--we were kept close in hand. Now, modern parents can allow a little more leeway plus they are held to a far different standard when it comes to discipline. I KNEW I would be paddled in public if I misbehaved, there was no if, "ands", and buts about it--my parents, like most parents, could exact immediate corporal punishment. Not so today, when was the last time you saw a child in public physically punished by a parent? There is a reason for that and it isn't because parents don't want to spank their child when he deserves it--it's because of the potential consequences that could befall a parent with one moment of anger and frustration in public.
That's not the child's fault or the parents' fault--that is our collective fault as a society.

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well spoken chuckster11.

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

barbandwayne

Eastern Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunday in Walmart a lady came in with 4 children, infant to about 12 years old i'd guess. She went one way, never looking back and the 3 kids went in different directions. The older boy grabbed a hand ful of the mylar balloons that were for Valentine's day and went walking thru the store, hanging them on things, letting go of one here and there. The mom never looked back or checked on her kids. You can bet if any one of those kids were to get hurt or lost, she'd be up on her soap box blaming Walmart.

pkunk

Questa, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seem to remember a time when all stores had a policy where children under a certain age had to be in the child seat of the cart. Now they let them run amuck.

1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"....ignorant babies having babies...."

Maybe not always, but sometimes.
Obviously, I always blame the parents,....and the gene pool.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

sharrlan

chino,ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's really a different society from when we were raised and from how most of us raised our kids.

Parents today are AFRAID to discipline their kids in public. Kids are taught from preschool on that a swift swat to the rear end is considered child abuse and they need to tell another adult, and keep telling until someone listens.

Many parents of young kids are part of the "ME GENERATION", (that one that we raised). They're too busy working on their own gratification that they can't be bothered disciplining their own kids. As long as the kids aren't bothering them, all is well.

Then you have the mother who is so guilt ridden over working that she goes out of her way to not upset little Johnny. Heaven forbid he be told no. Her life is miserable because the child is in control and there's no control.

I love kids, I really do, but my kids were never allowed to behave like that in public or at home. They were taught from the time they started walking that they stayed at my side with their hands behind their backs the minute we walked into a store. You look with your eyes, not your hands.

Trish Davis

eastern Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was bad when we were "out," I got a hard smack.

I was only "bad" a couple of times.

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it has anything to do with being afraid to discipline the kids. For crying out loud, you go some places and the parents let the kids run free like it's a darn playground, playing with the toys, I've even seen riding the bikes down the aisles.

It's a lack of respect for the store and fellow customers on the part of the parent. I also think that the store's fear that stopping the kids would upset the parents and they lose sales when they walk out.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Why don't parents...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS