|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Converting a conversion van to a class B

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
bashmaki

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off I am new here; and will be doing considerable brain picking of the DIY community in the upcoming weeks? Thanks in advance for all your help and advice...

I know, I know!! Why do that?

Well I've not seen one the way I wanted it to be laid out. I am in the position to buy the van reasonably; also a bubble top for next to nothing so I thought I'd build what meets my needs.

Question right now is this: Will I be able to change the title from a standard van title to an RV title once it is complete. I am sure it will depend on the state involved (South Dakota); but I'm wondering if anyone has trod this ground in the past?

Thanks,
Bash

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do you want to change the title?

There is a definition of a RV for tax purposes (MH tax deduction, 2nd home), but otherwise, what is the advantage?

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bashmaki wrote:

First off I am new here; and will be doing considerable brain picking of the DIY community in the upcoming weeks? Thanks in advance for all your help and advice...

I know, I know!! Why do that?

Well I've not seen one the way I wanted it to be laid out. I am in the position to buy the van reasonably; also a bubble top for next to nothing so I thought I'd build what meets my needs.

Question right now is this: Will I be able to change the title from a standard van title to an RV title once it is complete. I am sure it will depend on the state involved (South Dakota); but I'm wondering if anyone has trod this ground in the past?

Thanks,
Bash

Why not ask the DMV office in the jurisdiction where you'll be trying to change it? If it can be done, they'll know what is involved, and if it can't, they'll tell you why.

Mike.
2002 Roadtrek Chevy 190 Popular/2009 F150 XLT Supercrew
It's not a sprint, it's a marathon (on most days).

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IRS definition of RV as home is the one you need to be concerned with.

Think a home has to have a toilet (even a portapotty), a kitchen? and a bed.

bashmaki

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Why do you want to change the title?

There is a definition of a RV for tax purposes (MH tax deduction, 2nd home), but otherwise, what is the advantage?

The way I understand it the insurance is less expensive for an RV.

Bash

bashmaki

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Why not ask the DMV office in the jurisdiction where you'll be trying to change it? If it can be done, they'll know what is involved, and if it can't, they'll tell you why."

This is probably the most logical step to take in South Dakota; they seem to be pretty flexible with some stuff.

I already looked up the SD definition of an RV and it will probably meet that criteria already; being it has a bed in it.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, you're hoping to register it in SD, but you live in Washington State? What's the real object of this question? Tax dodge? Cheap insurance? Something more nefarious?

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bashmaki wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

So, you're hoping to register it in SD, but you live in Washington State? What's the real object of this question? Tax dodge? Cheap insurance? Something more nefarious?

Forget it. It was just a simple question I thought someone may have wrestled with. I am just a working stiff. I have a family, a mortgage and a job. I own everything I have and am not in trouble with nor want to be in trouble with the IRS. I pay my taxes every year.
As for the rest I'm not even going to address it. If you'd read my profile you wouldn't have had to jump to such conclusions.

Maybe I'm not welcome here. if I'm not just let me know. There are other forums.

Kripes

Just asking some simple questions, too, to try to get enough info to figure out what you're really asking. No offense intended, just seemed weird, maybe the way you worded it, or seemed evasive about "why", like one other respondent asked. I'll stand by my first suggestion, then.
btw, if anyone isn't welcome here it'll be me, not you.

Good luck with it.

* This post was edited 02/15/12 05:11am by MDKMDK *

bashmaki

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

IRS definition of RV as home is the one you need to be concerned with.

Think a home has to have a toilet (even a portapotty), a kitchen? and a bed.

I guess I'm struggling with what the IRS has to do with it. I already have a home but work on the road. I'm not going to be deducting anything with this RV to my knowledge. I'm not one to complicate things too much but I will be seeing my tax man when I get home next time; I'll ask him about it.

bashmaki

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Forget it. It was just a simple question I thought someone may have wrestled with. I am just a working stiff. I have a family, a mortgage and a job. I own everything I have and am not in trouble with nor want to be in trouble with the IRS. I pay my taxes every year.
As for the rest I'm not even going to address it. If you'd read my profile you wouldn't have had to jump to such conclusions.

Maybe I'm not welcome here. if I'm not just let me know. There are other forums.

Kripes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Converting a conversion van to a class B
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS