RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: WWYD?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> WWYD?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSis & I love go camping. She lives in Washington, I live in Georgia, so we rarely get to see each other. Every few years we do a Sister Trip. Our last visit was in Sept 2009 when I flew out to see her for a week.

A few weeks ago DH & I bought a new travel trailer. After talking it over with DH, he gave us his blessing to take it on a week long road trip. DSis & I have done this kind of trip before and we have a blast. I gave her two dates, one in Feb(winter break) and one in April(spring break.) She is unable to come in Feb, but just this morning emailed me and she wants to do it in April. Which would be great, except that DH & I were talking this weekend about taking the camper to Florida that week. Now I don't know what to do. On one hand, I haven't seen DSis in over 2 years and I would really like to have this time with her. I don't want to hurt my husbands feelings, though, or make him feel left out.

There are some other issues to consider: DH & I have not been able to take the camper out ourselves due to the cold, wet weather. And my very sweet, very handicapped 16yo son, Christian.

*Christian is also off that week. Although our nurses will be there to help, DH will have to care for Christian by himself for 4-5hrs every day. DH is disabled with lung/heart disease so this could really put some strain on him.

*If DH & I were to go camping, we would probably have to take Christian with us (which is no fun at all, due to the high level of supervision and assistance he requires.) About 2 days in the camper is all I can stand with Christian.

*There is a small possibility that Christian will be placed by then, but no guarantee.

*There is a very small possibility that we might get some respite for that week, although we haven't had respite since August 2010.

My mind is saying to stay home with DH or try to go camping for a few days with him and Christian. My heart is yearning to take this trip with my sister. I feel like I'm reallly torn in two.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

grandpalarry

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the trip with sis is just what you need as a short break from burden at home
Good luck with your decision
Larry

I don’t need anger management-I just need people to stop pissing me off.
Vancouver, WA
2006 Holiday Rambler DP

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand your dilemma. I am caring for an aging father and can't get away nearly as much as I would like. I think this is a decision only you and your husband can make.

Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is personal family matter that needs to be discussed & decided by you and your husband.......

ridingfamily4

Corona, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you break up the week? A couple of days with son (if you so choose) and the rest with sis? Can she fly to Florida?

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

This is personal family matter that needs to be discussed & decided by you and your husband.......

+1

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You offered your sister two dates. She picked one. Are you going to drop the ball on her now?

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis
2002 Honda CR-V toad
Roadmaster Sterling A/T towbar
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

johnbhicks

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell DH all this. If he's a stand-up guy he'll send you off with DSis. But you must communicate with DH, not us.

-C&J-
www.fugawetribe.com

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like you either need to find full time care for your son while you are away or stay home. Stressing a disabled DH like that, so you can have a vacation, doesn't sound like the wise choice to me....... Why not have sis come visit you for a few days?

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2003 Monaco Executive M43 DS2

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

While this is true I think the OP is just looking for some outside advice.
Sometimes a disinterested opinion can help, or maybe another member is in the same situation.
I'm sure she will discuss the options with her husband.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> WWYD?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS