|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Gernerator Problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Gwhorley

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Previously posted in Tech Forums

I am having problems with my Onan 7.5kw generator on my 98 American Tradition. I could not get it started and noted that 2 of the 4 house batteries were low on power (2v). A third battery had a melted terminal and will be replaced. I tried to jump start the generator through the house batteries, but could not get it started. I then crawled under the coach and jumped it directly to the generator. The generator started and ran fine until I removed the jumper to the power source. I repeated this a couple of times with he same results. As long as I have an external power source...the generator runs fine. Usually...on a car... this means that the alternator has gone out. Does this sound logical? Assuming the problem is with the generator alternator, how hard would it be to replace this component myself? I can access the front of the generator under the front of the coach, but am not sure how much access I will have and where the alternator is located ro does this require removal of the gernerator from the coach? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the generater requires a 12V power to keep it running.It sounds like it wired to start and run off the house batterys and as you yourself has said they are no good?
you said two dead and one with melted post

Get the house batterys all replaced and hooked up properly and all will be well

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would start by having a four batteries tested or replaced. 2volts is pretty much a dead battery. If they have never been replaced, they maybe shot.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check out the Bridge Rectifier on the circuit board. If you don't have a manual see if you can download it. You will need a good volt meter .If forum member Dougrainer is around he might be able to assist you.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MountainAir05 wrote:

I would check out the Bridge Rectifier on the circuit board. If you don't have a manual see if you can download it. You will need a good volt meter .If forum member Dougrainer is around he might be able to assist you.

you need a 12V constant supply for gen set to start and stay running

Gwhorley

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the gernerator not supply the required 12 power supply to keep itself running? From all your comments above (thanks!!) I am infering that the generator provides 12v to the batteries and the batteries provides 12v to keep the generaotr running...does this sound correct?

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Voltage regulator may be the initial cause of the problem. A bad regulator can cause very high voltage to be applied to the converter & batteries. If high voltage has ruined the batteries,"melted terminal", it probably has damaged other items like the power converter.

Joe&Charlotte, Nat'l SurfSide DE34D Ford 362HP 5speed

Rusty, Rosie Dogs
Leroy's a Conure
If its got Tires or Boobs...U'r GONNA have trouble with it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Gernerator Problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS