|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Other generators than Honda

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a EU2000 for sale on Craigs List in Yuma for $500 Ad said "like new"
Dont know a thing about it otherwise. Hard to beat Hondas. I have the EU3000 and a EU2000

samsontdog

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UncleDonald wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a generator that is cheaper than a Honda yet still as quiet?

yamaha offers several that are very good competitors to Honda and just as quite, often slightly lower cost. When I bought my first honda 2000 about 8yrs ago,yamaha didn't have any competative offerings. then I needed to parallel, so it was back to a secod honda. If I didn't have any generator and was looking, I'd be very seriously looking at yamaha.

In campgrounds the yamaha and honda's I hardly notice when running. the champions are better than many but IMHO enough noisier that they bother me if nearby and I wouldn't consider one unless I was really dry camping w/o neighbors.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, most of the recommendations you'll get on this forum will be either Honda or Yamaha. For these folks, no expense should be spared and not being able to afford either is no excuse, even if they cost more than your RV. Truthfully, none are as quiet as those two brands and they both cost the same. You won't get that quiet for cheap unless you find a great deal on a used one. As far as I'm concerned, they're all too loud BUT necessary evils for most of us.

Disclaimer: I don't own a generator.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

Mile-High-Endura

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you heard anything about a Ramsond? Looking at this oneclicky. Thanks

Jeff

2005 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 8.1 gas
2000 24' Pace Shadow Limited w/ Husky Equilizer Hitch - resting in Texas while we fulltime
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ PS, PB, Automatic, Factory Air

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Boliy line of generators. Impressive specs and decent price.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

UncleDonald

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all replies. More info. Mostly I am looking for a generator to take on Alaska trip this summer. Looking for one to recharge batts and maybe run the tv to watch a movie and make sure I can run the furnace if it turns cold.
Looking at price, easy start and quiet running. So far I am impressed with the Champion at around $550. At about $400 less than the Honda, I can use that money toward some Maxxis for the trailer.
Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated. Don

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truth lies between the generator snobbery and the people who don't care how much racket theirs puts out as long as the price is right.

The issue is you get what you can pay for, and will serve your needs. If one can't afford a red/blue, the Chinese inverters can do a decent job, and they are improving in quality as time goes on.

As for the OP's question, if red/blue are out of budget, there are a number of Chinese inverters that tend to be improved upon constantly for sale. They will be louder than the name brands, but they definitely will be quieter than the Harbor Fright specials. The 3000 watt Boliy Magna with remote start is rated at 54-59 decibels, which is quite good, and runs about $949.

However, sometimes you read about someone quite happy with their brand, then you read about a horror story. So, with the off-brands, you pretty much take your chances.

Of course, there are the dreaded open frame generators which any campers capable of hearing detest. Ones that are so loud that I can be sitting in my pickup truck bed with my generator on (with eco throttle off), and the sound of my generator 4-5 feet away gets completely drowned out by one of the open-frame models that is over 75 feet away. That sort of shows how loud those can get. In the past, generators used four poles so non-inverter models would spin at 1800 RPM. Now, for cheapness sake, almost all open frame models spin at 3600 RPM with two poles.

Call me a generator snob, but if one can afford something, at least get a pair of 2000 watt inverters from Kipor, Magna, CPE, or whomever that can be run in parallel. The open framed models are fine for NASCAR, or construction work, or as power if the lights go out. However, they do ruin other people's camping experience almost anywhere else.

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UncleDonald wrote:

nd maybe run the tv to watch a movie and make sure I can run the furnace if it turns cold.
those needs are better met with your batteries and an inverter

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

UncleDonald wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a generator that is cheaper than a Honda yet still as quiet?

If there was one (there isn't), Honda would be lowering their price.... and that just ain't happening.

Honda has no reason to lower their pricing as long as people continue to buy them. Honda has a plant in China that makes their gennies, so they can enjoy larger profits than the "other Chinese generator" companies. My neighbor works for Honda USA and has toured the plant.

http://world.honda.com/group/HondaMindongGenerator/index.html

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile-High-Endura wrote:

Have you heard anything about a Ramsond? Looking at this oneclicky. Thanks

Jeff

that is made by the same factory that makes the Magna and Dometic inverter gennies.
take a look at all three and you'll see the similarities.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Other generators than Honda
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS