RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Other generators than Honda

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Other generators than Honda

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

The truth lies between the generator snobbery....


Aw, come on. Since when is being considerate of your neighbors "snobbery".


2005 F250 Crew Cab LWB Power Stroke, 2007 Montana 3500RL Fifth Wheel,Honda EU3000IS, Twin Honda EU2000i's, S&W security system


EPenney

Galt, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 03/03/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/22/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned a Kipor 3000W inverter genset since 2004. Bought it new for about half the price of a Honda EU3000. It has been a real reliable genset, and is about as quiet as the Honda.

The Boliy gensets have great specs, and there are a lot of happy users on this forum.

Good luck with your choice.


'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not


mlts22

Austin, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/15/2010

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

The truth lies between the generator snobbery....


Aw, come on. Since when is being considerate of your neighbors "snobbery".


I was surprised by how few people knew what an inverter generator was, much less would pony up the cash for one. Even if someone couldn't afford a red/blue, buying the CPEs, Magnas, Boliys, etc... it would bring a lot of peace/quiet to campsites.

smkettner

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/22/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I have given up on generators. Although I still have my old 2300va rated Kipor I hardly use it. KGE3000Ti. If we need air conditioning we are headed for hookups. For everything else I have an inverter or it will run on propane. With recently added solar I can't imagine ever needing a battery charge.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Bernadette Shoe

Ontario

Full Member

Joined: 02/10/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UncleDonald wrote:

Thanks for all replies. More info. Mostly I am looking for a generator to take on Alaska trip this summer. Looking for one to recharge batts and maybe run the tv to watch a movie and make sure I can run the furnace if it turns cold.
Looking at price, easy start and quiet running. So far I am impressed with the Champion at around $550. At about $400 less than the Honda, I can use that money toward some Maxxis for the trailer.
Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated. Don


FWIW, I now own three Champion 2000i and I'm very happy with them. I had a Honda eu2000i that I just got rid of last week. I bought my Champion at Costco for $500 each. I strongly suggest you spend a week... and read that 219 pages thread about the Champion. You won't regret it. Also, drop by the Yahoo forum for Honda eu2000i, you might find out that they are not as perfect as you might think.

Champion beats Honda in support and helpfullness. And at low rpm, the Champion are fairly quiet, not so far off from the Honda. IMO, both brands are a bet, so why not bet with the lowest bid? Yamaha are fine too, but seem to cost more than Honda. In the end, I prefer to lose the least amount of money, so I bought Champion instead of more Honda.

Yahoo Honda eu2000i

* This post was edited 02/23/12 09:29pm by Bernadette Shoe *

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your post was interesting, as I often note "opinions vary" but when you stated:
"Champion beats Honda in support and helpfullness. And at low rpm, the Champion are fairly quiet, not so far off from the Honda. "
you lost all credibility. Most Honda's simply don't need much support/service as their reliability and fuel efficiency are the standards by which all others are measured and this has been the case for years/decades. Count the number of Honda sales/service facilities in the US and then count the Champions, end of discussion. The problem with many of the Chinese knock offs, and I think Champion is probably the best of the lot, is the lack of service and availability of parts. Read the reviews posted on line at any site that sells them and you will find that is the principle complaint.

The second point you made that the Champion is "fairly quiet" was honest but admit it, you damn with faint praise. I'm glad you are as happy with your Champ's as I am happy with my Honda's. Last week we were camping at Lost Dutchman SP and when our new neighbor arrived I walked over to say hello. He had a Champion 4000 in the bed of his Tundra and I told him I would like to hear it run. "No you don't!" he said with a smile. "It's really loud". We left before he needed to run it so I don't know for sure but suspect he was being brutally honest. I run the Honda(s) so little it doesn't make that much difference to me but it is nice to know I can do so without bothering most folks.

mena661

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2009

View Profile


Online
Posted: 02/23/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

Last week we were camping at Lost Dutchman SP and when our new neighbor arrived I walked over to say hello. He had a Champion 4000 in the bed of his Tundra and I told him I would like to hear it run.
We went camping at Paradise SP in the Santa Ynez mountains. Had a site right next to some tent campers. The husband remarked on how quiet our generator was. When I told him we didn't have one, he simply said, "no wonder".


2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours


Bernadette Shoe

Ontario

Full Member

Joined: 02/10/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

Your post was interesting, as I often note "opinions vary" but when you stated:
"Champion beats Honda in support and helpfullness. And at low rpm, the Champion are fairly quiet, not so far off from the Honda. "
you lost all credibility. Most Honda's simply don't need much support/service as their reliability and fuel efficiency are the standards by which all others are measured and this has been the case for years/decades. Count the number of Honda sales/service facilities in the US and then count the Champions, end of discussion. The problem with many of the Chinese knock offs, and I think Champion is probably the best of the lot, is the lack of service and availability of parts. Read the reviews posted on line at any site that sells them and you will find that is the principle complaint.

The second point you made that the Champion is "fairly quiet" was honest but admit it, you damn with faint praise. I'm glad you are as happy with your Champ's as I am happy with my Honda's. Last week we were camping at Lost Dutchman SP and when our new neighbor arrived I walked over to say hello. He had a Champion 4000 in the bed of his Tundra and I told him I would like to hear it run. "No you don't!" he said with a smile. "It's really loud". We left before he needed to run it so I don't know for sure but suspect he was being brutally honest. I run the Honda(s) so little it doesn't make that much difference to me but it is nice to know I can do so without bothering most folks.


Regarding the eu2000i, it seems to me that either people are lucky and everything goes well, or it is a complete disaster and a horror story. That is my take based on reading so many detailed posts from people who experienced 'difficulties' with their eu2000i. If one spend the time, there is plenty of good and bad to read about the eu2000i. Too many horror stories from a company like Honda.

And regarding Honda customer service, I also had to deal with them in regards to my 4 yrs old, $1,200 lawnmower and after hanging up the phone I told myself that I was glad I didn't have to deal with them more often.

* This post was edited 02/24/12 08:57am by Bernadette Shoe *

Bernadette Shoe

Ontario

Full Member

Joined: 02/10/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toyboxgang1 wrote:

Has anyone heard any comments on the Power Ease line? http://www.ruralking.com/generator-3-500w-inverter.html?utm_medium=google&utm_source=cse&cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=313439343830303430

I was speaking with a local repair shop that is a honda and power ease dealer. He said that there are people from NA who are stationed in the assembly plant in China to make sure that they adhere to the proper manufacturing requirements. He said that he has never had one back with any issues and has sold more of them than Honda's in the last year.


Or has anyone heard anything on this one? http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod863526&#desc


Or this one, which is the same power ease engine (INVERTER 3500 WATT CIH
Item no.: MCI3500) http://www.cnhshopproducts.com/itemlist.cih?Category=Generators&Group=POWER+EQUIPMENT




Thanks in advance.


Try amazon.com, there are many reviews over there.

bill h

hassayampa valley

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2001

View Profile



Posted: 02/23/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:


If your needs can be met with an outstanding, ultra-quiet (one dB louder than an idling new Honda), small generator ... good for lights, TV/movies, computer, hair dryers set on LOW, hand-held vacuum cleaner, slightly slower speed battery charging, and using 1/2 gallon of gas every 6 hours (but NOT for running an air conditioner) ... then you might want to pick up a used Honda EX650 for $150-$200:


I will second that. Our little EX650 did a great job for us for years. It was replaced with an EU2000 only because DW wanted the gen to run the microwave.


NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Other generators than Honda
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS