|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Planning NE to CA through Reno

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Litch

Truckee, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jsthiel wrote:

Thank you Kathy for continuing to post while were on the road, our proposed route was/is Casper to Rawlings, and I80. I'll check on the detour to i84 and back to i80 (thanks for the advice!) but were NOT planning to go through Sacramento. Were planning on hopping on 20 in CA near Cisco and heading through Yuba City toward the coast. Anyone else taken this route? Would it be better to take the long way around on the freeways through Sacramento and up 5 to 20?

Just drove 20 this morning coming back home to the Sierra. I drive it frequently and see no reason to not take it. I see semis as well as every form of RV there is traveling on it.

2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

retired in utah

Ogden, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Concur with Litch. I have taken my 5er over highway 20 many times. It is narrow but very doable.

2011 Ford F350 Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3
Reese 25K Hitch
Michelin 17.5 XTA Radials

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

misplaced idahoan wrote:

May be too late, but 89 from Ogden to SLC is a lot of city (stop lights, traffic, etc.) driving. I-15 parallels 89 but is freeway.

Road from SLC to Reno is good.

Thanks for that... it's not too late for that advice. They are in Nebraska waiting out the winds but will be driving the 400 miles to Casper, WY in the morning. (Thurs 2/23). They will attempt 400 miles again on Friday to reach Salt Lake City.

Kathy

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

christopherglenn wrote:

Do not come down the hill (from reno to sac) on a sunday afternoon, or go up the hill friday after about 10:00 am. If there is rain in the forecast, either plan on stop and go with chains, or wait till it clears. If they put chain controls on when you are on 80, expect to be at a standstill for 2 to 3 hours as some fool chains up in the middle of the road, and several hundred others do the same.

The winds were not letting up today so they opted to stay put yet another day in Nebraska. They will be traveling to Casper, WY tomorrow (Friday). Then onto Salt Lake City on Saturday. Heading toward Reno on Sunday.

There is weather coming on shore that is going to push wind/moisture into the mountains ...maybe Sunday night ?? Possibly not until Monday ?? The window of good weather west of Reno is only going to hold for so many days but there's a fleet of people praying them to California. Can always use more of that for them...

misplaced idahoan

Valley on the Utah-Idaho border

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May be too late, but 89 from Ogden to SLC is a lot of city (stop lights, traffic, etc.) driving. I-15 parallels 89 but is freeway.

Road from SLC to Reno is good.

Temporarily afoot, but lookin' to get back into the game

Our website

Campsite .... $65, Fuel .... $300, Food .... $500, Photo of the rig at Bridal veil falls .... Priceless

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not come down the hill (from reno to sac) on a sunday afternoon, or go up the hill friday after about 10:00 am. If there is rain in the forecast, either plan on stop and go with chains, or wait till it clears. If they put chain controls on when you are on 80, expect to be at a standstill for 2 to 3 hours as some fool chains up in the middle of the road, and several hundred others do the same.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

christopherglenn wrote:

Right now it looks like rain on monday, but that has changed from wed, ot thurs, to none, to monday in the last 48 hours.

Every forecast has changed in some way but the WINDS expected has really been off. At 9pm last night they forecasted 15-20 mph winds for the morning and at 6am the actual conditions were 50 mph wind gusts. I've got the print screens to prove that.

They had no choice but to pull off and wait out the winds in a motel.

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are on I80 west of Rawlins... and should make it to Salt Lake City sometime tonight (Sunday). And yes, I agree with you NorCal Dan, the weather window has a little crack of an opening ...they need to make it through Nevada on Monday so that they can get up and over the Sierra Nevada's on Tuesday to I5 in California or sit tight in Salt Lake City for several days... or choose a different route west.

The drive this morning on hwy 220 from Casper to Rawlins had a few slick spots but no problems. She tweeted a fb post as they headed west on I80 at Rawlins.

There's a bunch of us just praying them along... join in.

NorCal Dan

Ocean Park, WA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jsthiel wrote:

Thank you Kathy for continuing to post while were on the road, our proposed route was/is Casper to Rawlings, and I80. I'll check on the detour to i84 and back to i80 (thanks for the advice!) but were NOT planning to go through Sacramento. Were planning on hopping on 20 in CA near Cisco and heading through Yuba City toward the coast. Anyone else taken this route? Would it be better to take the long way around on the freeways through Sacramento and up 5 to 20?

Not sure where you are now, but we do have some weather forecast for Monday thru Thursday (27Feb to 1Mar). Stop by my site, TravelingRVWx and note the special weather statement currently being issued by the NWS.

Snow and wind are headed this way so caution is advised. You can check on any road conditions is California by calling 1-800-427-7623 or via the CalTrans website.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right now it looks like rain on monday, but that has changed from wed, ot thurs, to none, to monday in the last 48 hours.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Planning NE to CA through Reno
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS