RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: "Free" moble Hotspot App for Android

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> "Free" moble Hotspot App for Android

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
magicbus

LBI, NJ or Nantucket, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just tested it on my Samsung Galaxy and it works great. Thanks!!!

Dave

Our new RV... the journey continues.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Another PdaNet wannabe?

On my new Galaxy "Enable WiFi Hotspot" is a third option when I pull up PDANet. Before, I only had USB tether or bluetooth. If I click this option it takes me to the FoxFi APP. In fact I found the FoxFi App via PDANet.

2005 F250 Crew Cab LWB Power Stroke, 2007 Montana 3500RL Fifth Wheel,Honda EU3000IS, Twin Honda EU2000i's, S&W security system

strollin

San Martin, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

strollin wrote:

I tried the app. All it did was turn on the mobile hotspot that already existed on my Droid phone. When I connected to the hotspot from another device, I was then prompted by Verizon to sign up for the extra $20/month hotspot service.

Gave it another try and it worked this time. Only thing I did different was I setup a pw on the hotspot instead of leaving it open.

This app is good for quick sessions but for longer sessions I still prefer PDAnet since my phone battery gets charged while tethered via USB cable.

* This post was edited 02/16/12 09:12pm by strollin *

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MudChucker wrote:

I need an app that will work on the HTC phone...

Keep watching the updates. From what I am seeing on the different Droid forums, new phones are being added almost daily. Also watch the user reviews...some phones said not to work...are working for some users.

This is a beta app and is constantly being worked on and updated. This is the only app, of it's type, that's on the market for unrooted phones

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

badgercamperfan

WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Works great on my Droidx!

sandpiper1

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Works great on my LG Optimus. I don't use my data very often but when I need to this will be great. I paid the $15 for pdanet and used it a few times doing school work. Sometimes I can't get away from school for the weekend to camp so I take my lappy. this makes it even easier, and its free. Thanks so much to the OP for a great job.

2004 F350 DRW PSD Crew Cab Lariat LWB FX4, B&W 5th Hitch, 2012 Montana Mountaineer 346LBQ

Kiwi_too

Western, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not work on a Thunderbolt.

May God bless your travels

Me, The Wonderful Wife
and two Spastic Border Collies
U.S. Army Retired
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2007 Saturn Outlook, FROG

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

strollin wrote:

This app is good for quick sessions but for longer sessions I still prefer PDAnet since my phone battery gets charged while tethered via USB cable.

I am using my wall charger if I am going to be online for a long time, it charges faster than my USB cable. Both programs are good, but I need to run two computers at a time (DW and her email). Nothing wrong with PdaNet if all you need is one connection, but tablets and e-readers need wi-fi. Foxfi is just another tool in our ever changing tech world and a long waited tool, I might add.

Another nice thing I have found about Foxfi, it is secured with a WAP password. I can access my secured sites without paying $15.00 for PdaNet secured. Nice feature for us new smartphone users.

DaSu

St. Cloud Mn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am no "techy" on all of this new technology and phones but as I have read all the post and it sure reminds me of years ago . I am going back quite a ways ,but land line phone companies ( all we had then) , charged it's customers an extra fee for a wired extension phone in their house! It also reminded me of when satellite TV first came out and one could buy a pirate box and dish to install "out of site" to capture the signal for HBO movies . Well that all dates me a bit , but now I am back to OP to see if the DW new smart phone will work with this new way to pirate a hot spot !!!!! Thanks . Life is Good.

2005 F250 6.0 Power Stroke SRW Crew Cab
2006 33'Jayco Eagle
"Life is Good"

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brobox wrote:

Janss wrote:

I'll ask the same question as I see in the PdaNet discussions.....Does this violate my Verizon contract? Currently I am paying Verizon $20/month to add the hotspot feature to my phone.

Yes it does, but I look at this way, I pay $30. for data, why do I have to pay an additional fee to use my data? Personally, I bought a Droid because it was more flexible than the iPhone and this was the flexibility I was looking for. I am not stealing anything, just accessing what I am paying for with a larger screen.

Rooting your phone also violate the Verizon contract, but there are millions of rooted phones.

Your argument is invalid. You're not paying for a block of data, you're paying for a block of data to be used by one and only one device.

If you read the fine print of your contract, I guarantee somewhere in there it says that the data used by your contract may only be used on that particular device, and doing anything else with that data is a violation of the terms of the contract, subject to anything up to termination of the agreement, fines, and penalties.

As for the whole 'millions of other people do it' logic, I refer to my mom who said, "Well, a hundred-thousand lemmings a year can't be wrong, can they??"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> "Free" moble Hotspot App for Android
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS