RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: "Free" moble Hotspot App for Android

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> "Free" moble Hotspot App for Android

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
magicbus

LBI, NJ or Nantucket, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just tested it on my Samsung Galaxy and it works great. Thanks!!!

Dave

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Another PdaNet wannabe?

On my new Galaxy "Enable WiFi Hotspot" is a third option when I pull up PDANet. Before, I only had USB tether or bluetooth. If I click this option it takes me to the FoxFi APP. In fact I found the FoxFi App via PDANet.

2005 F250 Crew Cab LWB Power Stroke, 2007 Montana 3500RL Fifth Wheel,Honda EU3000IS, Twin Honda EU2000i's, S&W security system

strollin

San Martin, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

strollin wrote:

I tried the app. All it did was turn on the mobile hotspot that already existed on my Droid phone. When I connected to the hotspot from another device, I was then prompted by Verizon to sign up for the extra $20/month hotspot service.

Gave it another try and it worked this time. Only thing I did different was I setup a pw on the hotspot instead of leaving it open.

This app is good for quick sessions but for longer sessions I still prefer PDAnet since my phone battery gets charged while tethered via USB cable.

* This post was edited 02/16/12 09:12pm by strollin *

sandpiper1

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Works great on my LG Optimus. I don't use my data very often but when I need to this will be great. I paid the $15 for pdanet and used it a few times doing school work. Sometimes I can't get away from school for the weekend to camp so I take my lappy. this makes it even easier, and its free. Thanks so much to the OP for a great job.

2004 F350 DRW PSD Crew Cab Lariat LWB FX4, B&W 5th Hitch, 2012 Montana Mountaineer 346LBQ

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MudChucker wrote:

I need an app that will work on the HTC phone...

Keep watching the updates. From what I am seeing on the different Droid forums, new phones are being added almost daily. Also watch the user reviews...some phones said not to work...are working for some users.

This is a beta app and is constantly being worked on and updated. This is the only app, of it's type, that's on the market for unrooted phones

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

badgercamperfan

WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Works great on my Droidx!

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

strollin wrote:

This app is good for quick sessions but for longer sessions I still prefer PDAnet since my phone battery gets charged while tethered via USB cable.

I am using my wall charger if I am going to be online for a long time, it charges faster than my USB cable. Both programs are good, but I need to run two computers at a time (DW and her email). Nothing wrong with PdaNet if all you need is one connection, but tablets and e-readers need wi-fi. Foxfi is just another tool in our ever changing tech world and a long waited tool, I might add.

Another nice thing I have found about Foxfi, it is secured with a WAP password. I can access my secured sites without paying $15.00 for PdaNet secured. Nice feature for us new smartphone users.

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brobox wrote:

Janss wrote:

I'll ask the same question as I see in the PdaNet discussions.....Does this violate my Verizon contract? Currently I am paying Verizon $20/month to add the hotspot feature to my phone.

Yes it does, but I look at this way, I pay $30. for data, why do I have to pay an additional fee to use my data? Personally, I bought a Droid because it was more flexible than the iPhone and this was the flexibility I was looking for. I am not stealing anything, just accessing what I am paying for with a larger screen.

Rooting your phone also violate the Verizon contract, but there are millions of rooted phones.

Your argument is invalid. You're not paying for a block of data, you're paying for a block of data to be used by one and only one device.

If you read the fine print of your contract, I guarantee somewhere in there it says that the data used by your contract may only be used on that particular device, and doing anything else with that data is a violation of the terms of the contract, subject to anything up to termination of the agreement, fines, and penalties.

As for the whole 'millions of other people do it' logic, I refer to my mom who said, "Well, a hundred-thousand lemmings a year can't be wrong, can they??"

DaSu

St. Cloud Mn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am no "techy" on all of this new technology and phones but as I have read all the post and it sure reminds me of years ago . I am going back quite a ways ,but land line phone companies ( all we had then) , charged it's customers an extra fee for a wired extension phone in their house! It also reminded me of when satellite TV first came out and one could buy a pirate box and dish to install "out of site" to capture the signal for HBO movies . Well that all dates me a bit , but now I am back to OP to see if the DW new smart phone will work with this new way to pirate a hot spot !!!!! Thanks . Life is Good.

2005 F250 6.0 Power Stroke SRW Crew Cab
2006 33'Jayco Eagle
"Life is Good"

Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not work on a Thunderbolt.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner