|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> All Electric Coach

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering an all electric 12 Revolution coach.
10 kw gen auto start. 200 amp alternator
Diesel Aqua hot.
8 AGM house batteries.
tag axle.
Anyone have one?
Comments?
Experience? maintenance....over the long haul.
It's a 450 hp Cummins.

Thanks

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can speak for having an ALL electric coach. We love it!!! We don't have to buy propane, just one fuel (diesel).

We have the 'wet' batteries for our house. I check them once a month and at 5 yrs. old they are holding a strong charge. I will add distilled water as needed.

I just realized recently that I can run the Aqua-Hot on just electric as we have the larger Aqua-Hot system. We have two heating elements and I tried it for the first time last night. I was in a part of California where the low got to 39 degrees. It stayed warm but I can see it if the temps got much lower, using the diesel fired furnace would offer more heat.

I have the oil changed in our 425hp ISL every 10,000 miles and the generator serviced every 250 hrs. (1st service at 50 hrs).

I like to boondock with a group in Quartzsite every January. Just finished my 4th visit there. I start the genny for 2 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the evening and everything has been fine. I figured I can boondock for 2 weeks with our holding tanks sizes (100 gal. fresh, 70 grey, 40 black).

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Class A (45 ft.)

RFCN2

MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like all electric is the way a lot of coaches are going these days. We have an all electric with 6 8D AGM batteries. I do not store the coach at our house and have had problems keeping enough charge in them not to ruin them. I have just replaced the house batteries again in less than two years. I pay the people that store it to start the generator and they don't do what they are paid to do. If you leave on the auto start then the genny will crank over for a while every day even with everything turned off.

As far as performance all electric works fine. We also have a diesel aqua hot type furnace. It has it's pluses and minuses. On the plus side it heats water quickly and you basically have unlimited hot water for long showers. The furnace heat the coach well. On the minus side it is quite complex and makes noise. The complex part means it needs repair more than simple heaters. We never leave it on at night because the 5 water circulation pumps run all the time and make it hard for us to sleep. And then when the burner kicks off it is muffled but still sounds a little like a blast off. Keep in mind we have a very high end coach and we have lots of sound deadening. My wife and I are more sensitive to sound than most.

The system I had on my old GMC motor home worked pretty well. Electric hot water. (We have electric hot water in our current motor home too) And propane central heat. Simple. When I sold it my hot water heater and furnace in the GMC were about 15 years old and working fine.

Just my humble opinion, but I think electric coaches do very well 1. When hooked to power in an RV park. 2. Backed up by a couple of solar panels on the roof.

Not having propane is a good thing. You don't have to worry about it leaking for one. And then you get a simple fridge with all electric. If I was to buy another coach I would stay with all electric.

Consider AGM batts = 600 buck each deep cycle standard batts = 180 bucks each. But if you coach batt storage area is designed for AGM, what are you going to do.

RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

riggarob

Farmington, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We dry camp in Key West for 3 months at a whack. There are quite a few all electric rigs. Most have at least one solar panal, on the roof, just for the fridge. Our next one will be all electric. Robbie

08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

lbligh

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took delivery of our 2012 American Revolution 42W about two months ago. We also have the "all electric" configuration. We are currently on our first long trip and all systems seem to be working as designed. We have really enjoyed many of the features.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Safe travels.

Larry

L. Bligh
2012 American Coach Revolution

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RFCN2, I guess I'm confsed as $3600 for batteries every two years? One of the advantages of AGM's is how long they will stay charged without a load on them. Why not just use the disconnect??? or are you not winterizing and using the AquaHot to keep things from freezing?
From my research and reading on here a all electric coach is OK even if you boondock a lot. I decided it was not worth retro fitting my coach to a home refer even though I already have enough batteries.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have had two all electric MH's and won't go back to propane. We have no problem boondocking.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

lmcgill

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the same coach but we wanted the gas oven and cooktop. We have a family and use the 3 burners and oven. If it was just the two of us, would maybe go to all electric, but I like cooking with a flame. We had to give up the dishwasher, but I doubt we would use it. Still have yet to try out the aqua hot, but looking forward to it. As far as the propane, we had a 07 Discovery, with propane heater, water, range, and could easily go 2 seasons on one tank of propane.

12 American Coach Revolution 42W
11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (toad)
twins boy girl age 12
me 50 wife 46

icejim

Tavares, Fl. 32778

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a all electric essex and would not buy a unit without . As far as battery cost , I jusr replaced 8 agm for 1700,installed.

James E. Colley

Trap

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in the process of deciding on this and are leaning to go with propane, we like a gas cooktop and having the BBQ with a quick connect to the large tank instead of having to deal with the 20lb bottles. A residential fridge is a definite must have for us and having aqua hot would mean a year or two before having to refill with propane.

Trap

* This post was last edited 02/16/12 06:32pm by Trap *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> All Electric Coach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: