RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Portable vs. permanent satellite dish

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Portable vs. permanent satellite dish

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a buddy with a MH looking at DISH satellite. One place tells him to install it permanent on top because it receives better up high. Another place tells him to get a portable antenna so he can choose its placement if there's a lot of trees over head.
He is looking at automatic aiming antennas.
What do y'all recommend?

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com

2oldman

Wilbur WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on his desire/skill at aiming a portable dish. If it's HD, that's harder than SD.

As to the 'better' reception up high, pretty much nonsense unless you're simply above the RV parked next to you.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have mine mounted on top. I don't often have problems getting a signal, but there's been times when the trees are just too thick and there was no way to position in the motorhome in a spot to get a signal. What I do is back into my site and then before we set anything up I fire up the sat dish and make sure it can get a signal. If not I can move the MH until I get one. Then I drop the jacks and set everything up.

A portable unit does in fact make it easier to find a spot to get a signal. Being higher up may or may not make it easier to get a clearing for a signal but if it does you can always put your portable unit on the roof.

My concern with a portable unit is those little cubes with the autoset up cost a few bucks and you're just going to set it out there on the ground in a campsite. I'd be too worried about it getting stolen. If it were me, I'd go with the unit mounted on the motorhome. It's just easier to deal with.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Currently I use a Carry Out portable and it does work very well and pulls in HD on Dish. Being able to move it around to get a good sight picture is a definite plus. Downside is the single LNB vs a multiple LNB in a Traveler, and of course the convenience.

This year I will add a Traveler and keep the Carry Out in the bay for those times that it becomes necessary.

So, I guess the short answer to the OP is.....Both.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Larry Cohen

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a roof mounted auto find satellite dish but really never use it because it's not HD...plus I usually park in the shade...I have a portable HD dish with 150 ft of cable and have only been unable to see the birds once in 5 years...and I can find them in less than a few minutes once I have the dish set up....pretty easy with my particular set up

2006 Mountain Aire 43
Short haired wife, long haired daschund and 3 sugar gliders are co-pilots, along with Garmin Nuvi 855
05 Honda Pilot with Air Force One supplemental brake
Blue Ox Aventa II towbar
Whirlpool Residential Fridge !!!

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Trav'ler and love it. Bought it in 2010, spent seven months on the road last year, I think we hit two place where it was blocked by trees.

I still carry the portable dish, only used it once.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

hottubkid

SCHAUMBURG,IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have the carry out but made a ladder mount for it and added fifty foot of extra cable. Most of the time it is on top of the ladder and when necessary I unlock it and place it within fifty feet of the MH.

hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

dcbrewer

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both, I have the one on top which is automatic, and works great if not blocked by trees. I also carry a portable and 100 ft of cable for when it is blocked. And most need a 5ft jumper cable to run from the end of park cable to the satelite box, thats the way I do it.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my son is an installer for a satellite company. he says the higher the better, never know if a rig behind you will block your signal if you are on the ground. and you get a better sight picture up high. He told me a lot about if we were to put a antenna on my new rig and one thing stood out in favor of high mount and that is if you put in the big antenna, the one for all of the satellites, it is not round but more oval, if you have it on the ground you will need a base that can hold up to eight concrete blocks for enough weight to hold the dish steady. a ladder mount or a roof mount would be better. the wind will blow any thing on the ground over unless it is weighted down solid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Portable vs. permanent satellite dish
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS