RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Portable vs. permanent satellite dish

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Portable vs. permanent satellite dish

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Carryout and place it on the ground 99% of the time without any problems. My two previous mohos had roof mounted automatic antennas and there were times when trees blocked the signal rendering the antennas useless. I did carry a portable antenna and hated having to set it up.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both. When traveling in the Northern States I can't pick up the sats due to their low location in the skies. So I switch to the portable with 100' of coax. That way I can put the dish wherever I wish to find a clear view of the satellites.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Depends on his desire/skill at aiming a portable dish. If it's HD, that's harder than SD.

As to the 'better' reception up high, pretty much nonsense unless you're simply above the RV parked next to you.

Being up high does make the dish closer to the satelite so that should help the signal a little. Those satelites are only in orbit about 22,000 miles out. That extra 12 feet can make all the difference in the world.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a slimline HD antena mounted on a tripod from www.tv4rv.com (modified the dish so the LNB arm collapses for storage). I got the Orbit Tracker Plus signal meter that allows finding the strongest signal in a matter of 2 mins.(made for Directv and Dish...cost about $160 on sale). I setup the tripod, dish and have a strong signal in less than 10 mins. The portable has the advantage of placing it wherever I need to get a signal (i.e. no tree problems). I just love technology that works.

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

bfast54

Traverse City ,Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since being up Higher is better....esp. for a Satellite dish, I always carry a 100 ft tower, with me, to mount the dish on .

It makes NO DIFFERENCE how high it is AS long as it gets a clear view of the sky , in the correct direction.

I carry a portable dish....since the campgrounds get a litle upset, when you cut down trees ....to clear the sky view.

2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2000 Cardinal 27RK LX
Prodigy Brake Controller
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 1300 /GPS
Doran Pressure Pro
VU Qube Satelite
Rally's attended so far-21
My Blog
Good Sam Member

kjburns

Show Low, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If he's only looking at feeding one receiver and not recording while watching another program, a dome or carry-out is fine. If he wants to do more, the Winegard Trav'ler is a better option. It can feed multiple dual tuner receivers that can record.

My wife likes to record a lot so we have a Trav'ler and carry a tripod with a Dish 1000.2 for those times when trees are an issue. Either will feed the dual tuner receivers we have in the living room and bedroom. Both receivers can record while we watch something else.

2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD

DanTheRVMan

fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 04:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Depends on his desire/skill at aiming a portable dish. If it's HD, that's harder than SD.

As to the 'better' reception up high, pretty much nonsense unless you're simply above the RV parked next to you.

Being up high does make the dish closer to the satelite so that should help the signal a little. Those satelites are only in orbit about 22,000 miles out. That extra 12 feet can make all the difference in the world.

But you are neglecting the fact that the dish would be roughly 0.00001% difference in distance between the two locations.

Dan
Allegro Red 36ft

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Former owner spent the money for an in motion antenna mounted on the roof. 90% of the time it's view of the satellites have been blocked and I set up a eBay special dish that cost me $30. I like the trees and the Virginia State parks so the roof antenna isn't very cost effective for me. Manual set up and aiming really isn't that hard after a bit of driveway practice. Takes me about 10 minutes.

Personally from what I know and have experienced and if I had the budget I would get a carry out automatic that has the option of a ladder rack mount. Best of both.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a portable and have had no problems, I used to set it up myself and sometimes it was hard to get the signal but with a little effort I would get it tuned in. Now we have the carryout by wingard and it is great ,no problems at all hook it up , level it and your all set . Just remember with the winegard carryout if your looking for HD it doesnt work with Direct HD but does work with dish HD. I dont think placement of a dish higher up has much bearing on getting the signal from my days of hunting the right settings with the old manual dish I had. Others are right you can get a protable out from under trees if you have too.

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a portable antenna and the Traveler mounted on the roof. When I check into an RV park I always tell them that I would like a parking space with satellite access. In the last two years, I have used the portable antenna ONCE. The rest of the time my rooftop antenna worked fine. On our next trip, I will NOT carry the portable antenna since the odds are that I will not need it and it is just taking up space.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Portable vs. permanent satellite dish
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS