|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Weight Stations and RV's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JnJnKatiebug

NW Arkansas River Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not in an RV but several years ago when I had my farm I had a pickup load of Watermelons and they waived me in and checked my weight. I thought I would be in trouble as I had abut 4,500# on a 3/4 ton pickup. They told me I was one Watermelon over. I gave them one and moved on. Got up in MO and a cop pulled up behind me and turned on the blue lights. I thought, what did I do now? He walked up and wanted to buy a Watermelon. I gave him one and moved on again.

However; You are not required to stop but they can pull your RV in and check if they want. Most of them don't want to waste their time or yours. I was just over the line in Oklahoma in my car one day and they had a sign out for all trailers, boats and RV's to pull in.

2003 HR Endeavor 38PST
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Picture in Profile

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

CrazyTed

Hoollieville #214

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We race motorcycles and travel all over the eastern US with a fifth-wheel. We also have many friends who make this trip. A bunch of us were stopped after a race in Bristol, VA on I81. Funny, the only ticket issued was to someone pulling with a diesel truck who had offroad diesel in the tank... HUGE fine....

CrazyTed
www.CrazyTed.us
Va Bch, VA
2010 Husaberg FX450
2008 Triumph Rocket III
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4X4
2008 CrossRoads CrossTerrain TF36DS (Sold)
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 36MS

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time in many years and many states that we had to go through a weigh station was several years ago when Florica had a Citrus Canker Embargo on outgoing and incomming fruit.

Even then it was not really the weigh station. Agricultural Inspection Service had a chack point set up on the downstream side of the scales and were asking if you had citrus aboard (yes, they were also asking the truck drivers). We were waived through the scales, assured the inspector that we didn't have any froit, and were on the way.

They had BIG temporary signs out advising thet "All trucks, trailers, pickups, vans, and RVs enter weigh station" on the Interstated.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

Ric Flair

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JnJnKatiebug wrote:

Not in an RV but several years ago when I had my farm I had a pickup load of Watermelons and they waived me in and checked my weight. I thought I would be in trouble as I had abut 4,500# on a 3/4 ton pickup. They told me I was one Watermelon over. I gave them one and moved on. Got up in MO and a cop pulled up behind me and turned on the blue lights. I thought, what did I do now? He walked up and wanted to buy a Watermelon. I gave him one and moved on again.

However; You are not required to stop but they can pull your RV in and check if they want. Most of them don't want to waste their time or yours. I was just over the line in Oklahoma in my car one day and they had a sign out for all trailers, boats and RV's to pull in.

There you go. Carry a few watermelons with you and it's open roads!

2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Doug and Cassi Glass

Satellite Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A driver for hire, like a rock star's tour bus being driven by a professional driver is supposed to enter scales s are drivers delivering rvs. Many don't but they're supposed to enter scales.

Driving for hire is the key phrase.

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never stop at scales. Even though we look like a "truck" (see sig) we are licensed as an RV. Over 75k miles (from AZ to NH, FL to WY) in the last 8 years with no problems.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not need to stop at the scales in Oregon,but they leave them on when they are closed,so you can weigh your rig if you feel like it.I wish all the states did the same thing.
I would not pull in while they are open for business for the truckers.

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Doug and Cassi Glass

Satellite Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason the scales are NOT left open in CA is because of the vandalism that takes place when the buildings are unoccupied. Also the reason the buildings are usually behind a fence with barbed wire on the top.

Not unusual to come to work in the morning to find puddles of urine on the ground under the doorknob or feces smeared on the knob BEFORE closing the scales and fencing the buildings. Apparently some truckers ere not happy with our service as CHP officers!

jgtown

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just gonna throw in my $0.02 and say that I've seen at least one scale, 6 years ago, where more than just commercial traffic was required to stop. The sign listed several specific types of vehicles including "rental trucks". I don't recall if the list included RVs but I know rental trucks was definitely on there because I was helping a friend move and he had to stop. They checked the vehicle's weight sticker and verified the vehicle wasn't overloaded.

I think a safe rule of thumb is to assume that the scales are for commercial vehicles only unless otherwise indicated but pay attention to the signs. You may run thru some county that's making a revenue grab looking for overweight vehicles of all types.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technically in Maryland, you are supposed to go into the stations. I pass them by all the time. This subject comes up about twice a year here. Some people have been scolded for pulling in. I think there was one person with a MH in MD that passed by and got pulled over by MSP. They just said "I thought that was for commercial trucks only". They were directed to turn around and go back and get weighed.

I think if you passed them by and feined ignorance while being polite, most LEOs would just have you go back and get weighed.

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Weight Stations and RV's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS