|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very Good Price on Pure Sine Wave Inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
liborko

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did some preliminary testing today. With 45W load I measured 76% efficiency. One thing I don't like about this inverter is that it has two hot pins. There is 120V between two hot pins and 60V between each hot pin and the ground pin. My Prosine 2.0 has one hot pin, one neutral and one ground pin, just like house wiring. So you have to be careful how you wire the output from the inverter.
The fans did not run in about 1/2 hour I played with it. Did not have more time today.
The User Manual for Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 on xantrex.com has much more info than the manual that came with Motomaster. Most of the Motomaster manual is word by word copy of the Xantrex manual.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had mine going at its max wattage and the fan came on right away. It is a fairly quiet fan compared with some inverters.

I did not notice anything about the 120v pins, since all I did was plug things into the receptacles. The trailer installation tests were with the shore power cord into one of the inverter receptacles, and then running things from trailer receptacles. There was no 120v wiring to do.

Some more details in the PSW vs MSW microwave test thread today.

The manual warns against running certain items with the inverter, those being the same items as a MSW inverter will wreck. This suggests this PSW inverter is really a MSW inverter with lots of little steps to make it closer to true sine wave.

Xantrex version manual:
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-I........_Rev-B(PROWatt%20SW%20Inverter%20NA).pdf

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

renoman69 wrote:

Well I just went out and bought one too. They were sold out everywhere and the sale just started yesterday. I had to drive way across town to the only store that had any left. I have my 4 Trojans in the garage so I will hook it up and see what it can and cannot run. Is my #4 welding cable big enough to put a 1000 watt load on it?

If P/E=I, Your 1K inverter is only drawing about 8 amps @ max output. A 16 guage lamp cord rated at 15 amps should be plenty. Or am I missing the funny or oversimplifying this?

* This post was edited 02/18/12 08:13pm by E&J push'n wind *

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Jetta03

Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E&J push'n wind wrote:

P/E=I, Your 1K inverter is only drawing about 8 amps @ max output. A 16 guage lamp cord rated at 15 amps should be plenty. Or am I missing the funny?

At 120 volts 1000 watts is 8.3 amps output as you say. But the needed draw from the 12 volt battery source would need to be 83 amps or more to deliver that 1000 watts at 120 volts.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jetta03 wrote:

E&J push'n wind wrote:

P/E=I, Your 1K inverter is only drawing about 8 amps @ max output. A 16 guage lamp cord rated at 15 amps should be plenty. Or am I missing the funny?

At 120 volts 1000 watts is 8.3 amps output as you say. But the needed draw from the 12 volt battery source would need to be 83 amps or more to deliver that 1000 watts at 120 volts.

Yes. Today mine ran a kettle rated at 1000w for input, pulling 87amps showing 930w on the inverter's read-out. A toaster rated at 800w for input, pulled 72 amps showing 770w on the inverter's read-out

As the battery voltage goes down you get "amps creep" as the draw rises while the inverter tries to maintain the watts.

renoman69

Edmonton Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tried a few things with it last night.
Makita miter saw...no way
Tassimo coffee maker rated at 1350W....no go
Old hair drier rated at 1200W worked fine but the LED display said only 890W draw.
Palm sander...ran fine.

With the hair drier I could not believe how fast it depleated the 4 Trojans. My clamp on AMP meter read 97AMPs on the +DC line...could that be right?

2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your 97 amps for 890w on the dial compared with the 87 amps I got for 930w with the kettle could be due to a difference in the wiring between the two set-ups. Both are with four 6s although mine are different brands, but at the higher SOCs that shouldn't matter I think. Assuming the ammeter and Trimetric would agree.

If you are experimenting, suggest trying it again with doubled wires (or fatter wires) inverter-battery and see if it makes a difference

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E&J

yes you can use a light extension for the inverter to shore cord
but because the shore cord and the extension combine for a longer length
I would use at least 14ga @ 15amp rating and preferably 12ga @ 20amp rating

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

dougsee3

Calgary AB

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked one up today anyone know a approximate amp draw for a laptop and 26" LCD TV and or a DVD /VCR player and the 26' LCD TV. I know it depends on the manufacture but I am wondering if I would be under 5 amps or 5 TO 10 amps or more. Trying to decide on how much I could use it for TV on a rainy or cold night.

2008 Pace Arrow 33V
8.1 Workhorse

Calgary Alberta

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Jetta03 wrote:

E&J push'n wind wrote:

Yes. Today mine ran a kettle rated at 1000w for input, pulling 87amps showing 930w on the inverter's read-out. A toaster rated at 800w for input, pulled 72 amps showing 770w on the inverter's read-out

As the battery voltage goes down you get "amps creep" as the draw rises while the inverter tries to maintain the watts.

Thanks guys, I forgot that the source is 12vDC. I am thinking of the supply side of the inverter so I over looked that. Thanks for the reminder. Looks like a little remedial training is in order on my part.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very Good Price on Pure Sine Wave Inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS