|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Central Ohio to Smoky Mountains

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cooter4x

Newark, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning at trip from central Ohio down to the Smoky Mntns this summer. My plan is to go through Cincy and down Kentucky into Knoxville Tn. This would be to avoid the bigger mountains and the toll road.

My question to you: is I-75 through KY very steep as compared to I-77 in WVA/VA? Are there any relatively level areas that maybe my wife could take the handle for a couple hours?

Any info is appreciated... thanks!

Me, Wife and Daughters
2002 Keystone Sprinter 303BHS
2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4L V8

Helmsey

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not been on I77, so I cannot compare to that. There is one good climb as soon as you come into TN on I75 south going up Jellico mountain. Going down the other side is a longer somewhat winding descent, but nothing that requires runoff's if that helps you.

KK4PFX
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Days camped in 2012: 34
Days camped in 2013: 30
Days camped in 2014: 32

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sister lives in Cinci and regularly will come to the GSMNP and meet us. She always travels I-75. She is not pulling any type of RV, but the road is fine. There is a long grade at the KY/TN border (Jellico Mtn) which is not really steep, but is definitely long. No interstate can be any steeper than a 7% grade.

I-77 will take you way out of the way, so I would stick with the I-75. If for some reason, you would like to get off the interstate, Rt 25 runs parallel to I-75 and is a good road, but only 2 lanes in areas.

IS there any reason why your wife can't pull anywhere? If she can handle it on flat terrain, why can she not handle it on the climb or descent. I would MAKE SURE she could handle it on this type of highway - who's to say that you are always going to be able to drive.

I have always driven at least part of the time, usually most of the time and it came in really handy several years ago when DH ended up in the hospital during one of our yearly beach trips. He was released just in time for us to travel back home and I HAD to drive.

cooter4x

Newark, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one reason is my wife has never pulled the camper before so I don't want to throw her out in the mountains for the first time. but it would be nice if she could drive for a couple hours.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than the Jellico Mountain area, the rest of the interstate should be a breeze. AND, she SHOULD know how to pull it, set it up, take it down, etc.

I-75, as long as it's not a Friday afternoon or a holiday weekend is usually not exceptionally crowded, other than the Cinci and Lexington area and would probably be a good place for her to drive it.

It's about 100 miles from Lexington to the Jellico Mtn area, so that might be a good place for her to drive it, it's rolling hills, but not a bad drive, mostly just straight.

TPUC

TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would come in on I 75 and take Chapmann Hwy in downtown Knoxville. You will miss 40 miles of bumper to bumper traffic.

2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

cooter4x

Newark, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually like traveling I-77 but I've never done it with the camper. It's about 50/50 from our location to go either way. I'm going I-75 the easy way this time.

afob3

Maryville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TPUC wrote:

I would come in on I 75 and take Chapmann Hwy in downtown Knoxville. You will miss 40 miles of bumper to bumper traffic.

The Henley Street Bridge in Knoxville is closed for another year or so for construction. Detour is the James White Parkway Bridge just east of the city.

I agree Chapman Hwy would save quite a bit of stop and go on rt 66 (the 407 exit off of I40).

I would Take I75 to I275 in Knoxville. Go west one Exit on I40 to 129 South (Alcoa Hwy) then cut back over on John Sevier Hwy to Chapman and avoid all that downtown Knoxville stuff.

2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

pipelnrwife

formerly Illinois...now wherever the job goes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cooter, Having family in Lexington, KY and Atlanta we travel I-75 all the time. 75 is very easy, even Jellico. We just traveled 77 into WV last week and found it too be much more stressful...

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
2008 Jeep Liberty
A miniature American Eskimo Dog (Eskie) named Q-Tip (Q.T. for short), a kid in Graduate School.

kyhawk

Villa Hills Ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Florence or Walton Ky it's pretty level and easy down to Berea Ky. South of Berea is much more rolling, with trucks slowing traffic in the right lanes (and occasionally both lanes). Not as easy to drive, since it involves more lane changes and more passing.

* This post was edited 02/18/12 09:04am by kyhawk *

Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Central Ohio to Smoky Mountains
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts