|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rear Kitchen Bounce

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
oldbiker7

Western Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure how your truck is set-up but I use air bags to eliminate the up and down motion that uneven roads cause. My truck was level without them but once I hit uneven roads there would be enough flex in the truck springs to make the up and down motion worse. Now the truck and trailer both ride more smoothly.

2013 GMC 3500 Duramax CCSB 4x4, B&W Patriot hitch
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never had a problem but we have an air hitch and trailair center point suspension. first truck and 32 ft fifth Rk didn't have a problem and no chocks and regular hitch.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try towing with more weight in your waste tanks. And more in the fresh water tank too. Like a truck, the more weight you carry, the better the ride. As long as the suspension doesn't bottom out.

Try loading the fridge with crumpled plastic disposable grocery bags stuffed into spaces around eggs, bottles, or anything liquid. Also in pantries and cupboards.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

newk

Gillette, WY

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AZ T&T wrote:

Refrigerator bars! We use the spring loaded ones you get at CW and it helps a lot. We have been driving on some pretty rough roads and everything stays put....

We use them too. They're a must have item imo.

We're on our third RK 5er and have never had problems. Well, once we broke some dishes in the rear cabinet, but that road was so rough that we also lost a window in the bedroom and had a flat tire. (Yeah, LOST the window, literally!) We don't tow on that road any more! LOL

2yung2rtire

N. California

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Biker may have hit a point. It may not be the FW suspension but the TV suspension that's causing the FW to pitch in the rear. Possibly the TV shocks need changing?

okiejoe

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the exact same problem you have with my 2004 Everest RK and it was so bad it shook the light over the dining room table loose not to mention finding the shelves of the refrig door and contents spilled into frig. I solved it 100% by having The MorRyde "IS" independent suspension system on it, it is their top of the line suspension, worth every dime, Check it out on their website. I did have to drive to Elkhart, Indiana to have it installed but worth it.

kab449

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldbiker7 wrote:

I'm not sure how your truck is set-up but I use air bags to eliminate the up and down motion that uneven roads cause. My truck was level without them but once I hit uneven roads there would be enough flex in the truck springs to make the up and down motion worse. Now the truck and trailer both ride more smoothly.

Exactly correct! The ability of the rear suspension on the tow vehicle to absorb the up and down movement caused by rough roads dictates how much of this movement gets transferred to the trailer. Then due to the center location of the trailer axles the movement gets transferred to the rear of the trailer. Concentrate on improving the rear suspension of the TV or buy an air hitch or pin box.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2014 Honda CRV Toad

mbrule

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kountry Star 30RKS, towed with SRW F350, factory shocks, no problem.

Only been out with it once (just got it in the fall). But I left some stuff on the counter and it stayed where put. traveled about 500 miles round trip some of it on semi-rural roads in Maine.

The Kountry Star is a heavy unit (11k dry). I wonder if it is the lighter weight units that have more of a bounce problem?

okiejoe

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TV may be some of the problem but I doubt it, RK's have been nortourius for bounce. That being said, I have the "TrailerSaver Air hitch" and the MoRyde hitch pin but when installing MoRyde's "IS" system was the solution, in fact after the install the ride of the TV was improved dramaticly. I wouldn't have any other suspension on a 5er. Check their website.

DPHRV

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the input. We are leaving on a trip in the morning. We'll see how it goes. We have in place the bars and inside storage tips. We aren't new to this, so are pretty good at securing items for travel.
Need to evaluate the TV tips, and weight distrubution.
Hoping to resolve without the expense of Air Hitch, etc.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rear Kitchen Bounce
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS