RV.Net Open Roads Forum: want to rv in Mexico. is it safe?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> want to rv in Mexico. is it safe?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the US state department warning as well:

Feb. 8 Mexico Travel Warning

Be sure to read the Sonora paragraph.

Rocky Point = Puerto Peñasco

No such thing as too much information.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dejavu!!

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of Stuff wrote:

Read the US state department warning as well:

Feb. 8 Mexico Travel Warning

Be sure to read the Sonora paragraph.

Rocky Point = Puerto Peñasco

No such thing as too much information.

Reminds me of when I lived in San Antonio, Tx. in the 80s. History repeating itself.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Galvanizd

Pacific Northwest..... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only you can gauge your own risk assessment. Your own level of comfort. Come on down, its great. Our 8th year. If you're not comfortable, you won't like it much. You have to decide.

Jarand

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At Rocky Point right now. We're with a couple who have come for 11 years, and we've come for 5. We feel very comfortable, as I think anyone in this park (Playa Bonita) will tell you.

Cross at Lukeville during the day. No problems.

You must have Mexican auto insurance. This is the only thing I'm not perfectly comfortable with--there are a lot of exclusions in the coverage. You can buy it online ahead of time. Some have more completely coverage than others.

If you're towing a trailer or 5th wheel, it's cheaper (and probably better) to get Mexico coverage by your RV insurer. Then you'll do Mexican liability only on the RV. (Full coverage on your vehicle, liability on trailer)

If you enjoy happy hours and a more social environment, look at Playa Bonita RV Park. Spaces are tight but everyone seems to have a good time. Beach sites are hard to come by. The Reef RV park is a little further out, but it's much quieter, has more spacious sites, and is easier to get beachfront sites. Just depends on what you want.

1oseph

albuquerque New mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rocky Point is only 64 miles away from the boarder . Most call it Mexico light .
It is a good place to start exploring Mexico . Beer is cold and the people are very friendly . They will go out of their way to help you . Not to mention the Shrimp !!!! Try it , you will love it .

All said with a smile ,
Joseph and Dolores

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 02:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexico is as safe, or as dangeruos as any country, in the world, yes it is diferent from the U.S., or Canada, try to go with an open mind, the people are very warm, not cold as I have found in the U.S.

They are, a diferent culture, with diferent custums, try to learn from them, as much as you can, you will encounter, a diferent world of caring and friendlly people.

Travell during the day time, on the major roads, and slowly, you will see, where it is safe to go, and where not to go, same as in the States.

Do not pay attention, to persons that do not go to Mexico, have never gone there, and bombard you with Deparment of State figures, and maps.
If you see the map, from the State Deparment, remember that they encompas, whole states, rather than locallized areas.
Within those states, there are very safe places, as well as very dangerous, I can point areas, in San Diego, that are very dangerous, and some, that you can leave your car unlocked, and next morning it is there.

Do go, there are other RVer's down there, that will be glad to show and point you, in the correct direction. If for any reason, you are not confortable, you pick-up camp, and go back home.
Fair winds and following seas, Navegator

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1oseph wrote:

Rocky Point is only 64 miles away from the boarder . Most call it Mexico light .
It is a good place to start exploring Mexico . Beer is cold and the people are very friendly . They will go out of their way to help you . Not to mention the Shrimp !!!! Try it , you will love it .

All said with a smile ,
Joseph and Dolores

It is also called Arizona's Beach since it is so close.

rocmoc n AZ

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's interesting that this question is asked so frequently. In years past, I traveled in Mexico without hesitation. Today, I wouldn't consider it, even with relatives still living there. IMO the reasons for this present problem of having "fear", regarding travel in Mexico, originated in Mexico. It's caused by events that occurred in Mexico.
Obviously, some of us prefer to restrict our travel risks to the continental USA. There's some of us who are more fearful than others, obviously. For example, I'm fearful of flying in airplanes, unless I'm the pilot in command.
Another example: I feel safe living in San Antonio TX, yet I know there's plenty of crime, and criminals, here.
You're the one who has to formulate your own perception of danger, and your way of dealing with it. Myself, I feel much safer if I stay within the borders of a country where citizens are allowed to legally own guns.
You have your perception, and I have mine. Enjoy the freedom to do that,....it's your call.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

Do not pay attention, to persons that do not go to Mexico, have never gone there, and bombard you with Department of State figures, and maps.
Before you start slamming folks and making blanket statements, you should find out their history. I was the one who started the part about the travel advisories and I will bluntly tell you that I have more time in Mexico than you ever thought of having and I don't know your history. Like Willie, I say there is a time to hold em and a time to fold them and knowing when that time is, comes from education.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> want to rv in Mexico. is it safe?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS