|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Converter/charger upgrade

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so all this talk about overcharging/boiling batteries, etc. has given me cause for concern because I still have the old Magnetek 6332 single stage converter in my Weekender. It works perfectly, but since I now have my new wizbang Diehard size 31 PM1 AGM battery and intend on putting a second one in next month, I've started getting worried about wrecking them with the old converter overcharging them, as I leave it plugged in/on all the time. I did a little research and found that Best Converters has this: http://www.bestconverter.com/45-Amp-Converter-Replacement-Kit_p_46.html I realize the installation is simple, but my question (Randy was not in at Best when I called) is about the cooling fan. Does the new section have it's own fan or does it utilize the one currently in my old 6332? I have not taken it apart yet so I am unsure of where the cooling fan is. Has anyone actually done the replacement? How do you like it?

Thanks in advance!
Dak

2007 Lance 1055 and Calvin, the 1996 creampuff Chev Silverado 3500 extended cab dually
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the looks of the pictures, the replacement unit is made by WFCO.

Personally, I'd pass and simply get a PD unit that will fit in the space of the old converter module or a PowerMax Boondocker (Which I believe is safe for AGMs).

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The newest Progressive Dynamics come with the charge wizard already installed. So they become sort of a "smart" charger.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, and I forgot, if you want a guide on the doing of what I suggest, simply look up old Netboy's projects.

He may have gone to the Dark Side via a Thor Motorhome, but he still has the original end-all of Camper projects that we all aspire to.

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe, I also looked at the PD and the PowerMax Boondocker. It seems that upgrading what I've already got with something that is made for it would be a fine choice to obtain the 3 stage capability... price not being a part of the equation. I'm open to suggestions, as I've not upgraded a converter before and only know that I want a quality 3 stage to protect my batteries. The upgrade is 45amps and I see the PowerMax is also. The main things I see different is the upgrade has a boost of 14.4 and a new fuse block with filters. The PowerMax has a boost of 14.6, but no new fuse block. So I would still have to replace the fuseblock anyway. Just wanting to know why you would say to pass on the upgrade, other than the price?.. The PDs seem to all be just single stage with a charge wizard upgrade you pay extra for, so I would pass on PD
Thanks!
Dak

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember Netboy! What a great wealth of knowledge! :-)
Dak

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

The newest Progressive Dynamics come with the charge wizard already installed. So they become sort of a "smart" charger.

I didn't see that at Best's website..

Dak

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dakonthemountain wrote:

Joe, I also looked at the PD and the PowerMax Boondocker. It seems that upgrading what I've already got with something that is made for it would be a fine choice to obtain the 3 stage capability... price not being a part of the equation. I'm open to suggestions, as I've not upgraded a converter before and only know that I want a quality 3 stage to protect my batteries. The upgrade is 45amps and I see the PowerMax is also. The main things I see different is the upgrade has a boost of 14.4 and a new fuse block with filters. The PowerMax has a boost of 14.6, but no new fuse block. So I would still have to replace the fuseblock anyway. Just wanting to know why you would say to pass on the upgrade, other than the price?.. The PDs seem to all be just single stage with a charge wizard upgrade you pay extra for, so I would pass on PD
Thanks!
Dak

Dak, you don't need the new fuse block unless your existing one is falling apart.

You simply trace and tap the existing wires that originally fed the panel.

Here's all ya need to know for swapping the Magnajunk guts out.

Rick's Magnetek to Inteli-Power converter project

Don't damage your new battery with a garbage converter. I made the WFCO mistake once.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dakonthemountain wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

I didn't see that at Best's website..

Dak
ALL 92xx series have the built in wizard. You still need the pendent to manually switch between modes. I would try to go without the pendent. Add later only if needed.

http://www.bestconverter.com/9200-Series-Deck-Mount_c_84.html

PD also has a kit to replace Magnetek 6300

http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-series-Upgrade-Kits_c_133.html

Also consider IOTA. A 30a or 45a with IQ controller will be a little better at charging and floating the AGM battery due to the slightly higher voltages. Compare yourself to the battery charging specs.

http://www.bestconverter.com/-DLS-Series-12-Volt_c_144.html

I would stay away from the WFCO kit.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my old Magnetek converter with the Progressive Dynamics 4645 a couple of years ago and it's been working great. It does come with a new smarter fan that I never hear (unlike the old one). I leave the camper plugged in 24/7 and the battery water doesn't boil away (unlike the old one).

Here's a link

Easy to do - good luck!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Converter/charger upgrade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: