|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generator? Won't run Microwave

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tamnative

Mill Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srl520 wrote:

Wow,
Been gone for a couple days. Here is an update. I do understand about the polarity issue but I really don't think that is the issue.

Ok, to keep this straight the new camper that I just bought that has the onboard Generac generator is camper #1. The old owner told me that everything worked properly. That was a lye. I have found many issues with this TC. The other camper is going to be #2.

Running an extension cord from C#1's micro outlet to the micro in C#2. This micro operates properly and warmed up a cup of water and the clock works. The Gernerac speeds up rpm when turning this micro on.
I can plug a power tool into the outlets in C#1 and it runs properly including the micro outlet.

No that sounds like a generator problem like you stated.
Your last post put everything in a better perspective. Do you know how many hours are on the gen. in C#1? Just curious on how much it was used.

Now, I have a Honda 2000 and I plug C#1 shorepower into this generator and the micro works properly.

On a side note, C#1 Generac is supposedly able to run the A/C in this camper according to the previous owner. Guess what, it does not. I can have the fan running on high, the generator rpm increases, I then turn to the A/C side and the compressor starts to kick in but the Generac is not able to get it to start. Although trying this 5 times and it does finally get it to start.
I plug in the Honda 2000 again and the Honda has no problem getting the A/C to kick in the first time using this same procedure. I proceeded to do this 5+ times without any problem from the Honda.
I do believe I have something wrong/weak with the Generac generator. The only way to find out I guess is to get it tested.

Does this sound like a simple grounding problem as suggested?

No it sounds like a generator problem like you suggest.
Your last post puts things in a better perspective.
Out of curiosity do you know how many hours are on the gen. in C#1?

2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

srl520

Henderson

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 426 hrs on generator.

2006 Kodiak 4500 4x4.
1994 1010 Weekender
2000 1110 Weekender

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srl520 wrote:

There are 426 hrs on generator.

Actually, you are very close to possably the best Generac service center in the country.

See or phone Ken Allen, service manager at Johmny Walker RV in Las Vegas. The technisions are certified.

I had a starter making a racket... Jim Allen (no relation) was service manager for Lance Camper... but before that he was North American factory rep for Generac... we are friends... so I asked him as a friend where to take it for service... we were in Texas. He told me about Johnny Walker RV... we stopped there about 6 weeks later.

They gave us an extension cord... and a key to the gate so that we could come and go since we got there about 2 days before our appointment. The work was very good... they adjusted the propane regulator, checked the valves, and changed the starter (the generator has to be removed from the camper to get to the starter.

Ken is into the big time desert 4x4's... and thinks a lot like TC folks. Very nice and honest!

This may be the best advice I can share... phone him... and ask your questions... and get them to service it... it was $3000 new.

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

I don't understand

His generator is running... it's his microwave that won't run... does the microwave have a geared starter?

No sleepy.

1. The generator has a geared starter.

2. The starter gear may be hanging on the generator engine's flywheel, because it is gummed up from not being started in a long time.

3. The generator is running, but may also be driving the starter, because the starter's gear is stuck in the generator engine's flywheel.

4. The extra drag from driving the starter motor is bogging the generator engine down slightly, causing it to output "dirty" power that will not operate the microwave or the A/C.

If a 2000 Watt generator will start the A/C, but a 3600 Watt generator will not, there is something wrong with that generator.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What model Generac is this?

Your microwave is acting like a lot of today's electronic appliances act when you plug them into one of the cheap modified sine wave inverters. They don't like the wave form put out by them, and they won't work right. If your Generac is one of the inverter models (Impact?) the inverter could be putting out 120v AC, but with a ratty wave form that electronic equipment will balk at. Lights and motors usually won't care.

I, or a few others on here who have Generacs may be able to help you find the service manual for your model. The inverter models aren't the easiest generator to diagnose, and some of the parts may cost more than you'll be willing to pay.

The inverter models are surprisingly complex little beasts; they're actually a computer controlled generator that produces multiple AC voltages from the stator, the highest ones go through a bridge rectifier where they are changed to a DC voltage, which is then sent to a remotely mounted inverter, where it's changed back to 120v/60hz AC and sent to the 30amp receptacle you plug your shore power cord into.

I think you're going to have to get the service manual for your generator and start going through the troubleshooting flow-charts.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2010 F450

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need manuals for your generator, go HERE or HERE

Make sure you get the correct one for your model (i.e.- 940-1 vs. 940-2) because there are important differences in the "dash" versions.

I don't think the first place actually sells RV generators any longer, the product links on the page don't seem to work. But, at the bottom of their page are links to all the Owner/Installation Manuals, and below that are the Service and Diagnostic Manuals. Each site seems to have a few manuals that the other does not. The second site can sell parts directly, not sure if the first one can or not.

If the diagnostics don't help you determine the problem in a reasonable amount of time, I'd follow Sleepy's advice and take it to the place he recommended, since they are local.

There are used parts and entire units available for sale if you're patient and resourceful in searching them out. The new parts prices on some of the components are high enough that this generator tends to get pulled out entirely at the first major repair bill.

* This post was edited 02/21/12 06:27am by NRALIFR *

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone didn 't read the OP... and asked about gears... I asked why... makes more sense if the whole thing is quoted rather than a small snippet.

We all knew that he had electrical problems and the his generator was running, but not his microwave and later we found out "not his AC" either....

all this confusion makes me

sleepy

and I told him who to call, where to take it... Johnny Walker RV

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

halibutman214 wrote:

Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? The generator is bogging down soooo much it won't run the clock?

Not all microwaves are made the same. Not all microwaves are made the same. Not all microwaves are made the same. Not all microwaves are made the same. Not all microwaves are made the same. Not all microwaves are made the same. Not all microwaves are made the same. Not all microwaves are made the same.

It is bogging down SLIGHTLY, causing it to put out power that the microwave does not "like." Slightly low voltage, or slightly low frequency, will cause the electronics in the microwave to shut down to protect themselves.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

Someone didn 't read the OP... and asked about gears... I asked why... makes more sense if the whole thing is quoted rather than a small snippet.

Ok, now *I* am confused.

Do you understand WHY gears are being discussed, or don't you?

halibutman214

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

sleepy wrote:

I don't understand

His generator is running... it's his microwave that won't run... does the microwave have a geared starter?

No sleepy.

1. The generator has a geared starter.

2. The starter gear may be hanging on the generator engine's flywheel, because it is gummed up from not being started in a long time.

3. The generator is running, but may also be driving the starter, because the starter's gear is stuck in the generator engine's flywheel.

4. The extra drag from driving the starter motor is bogging the generator engine down slightly, causing it to output "dirty" power that will not operate the microwave or the A/C.

If a 2000 Watt generator will start the A/C, but a 3600 Watt generator will not, there is something wrong with that generator.
Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? Then why will the other microwave work off this generator? The generator is bogging down soooo much it won't run the clock?

2008 Dodge Ram 6.7 Laramie SRW SB
2012 Keystone Passport 26BHWE
2009 Lance 830 with Tent foldout
20' North River Seahawk Boat
2005 Honda VTX1300

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generator? Won't run Microwave
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers