|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generator? Won't run Microwave

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The breaker is switched on, right?

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I read the original post (noval idea)... it seemed to me that the generator was running... so the starter must be working... which would mean the gears are OK...

The OP says his microwave wouldn't run... not even the clock

So again... why bring up gears?

even the title of the thread...

> Generator? Won't run Microwave

Must be meaningful...

Maybe I'm not aSleep yet!

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets see... from what I'm reading... at least one of our responders writes the microwave won't work because of the gears in the running generator that has all of the 110V AC recepticles that it feeds functioning.

I give up...

Jim, please come back... explain all of this to me...

* This post was edited 02/23/12 12:22pm by an administrator/moderator *

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'm missing something, but AC is AC. It doesn't matter if hot and neutral is reversed or the ground is lifted, or both at the same time (to the MW, obviously dangerous). the microwave just doesn't care. Voltage isn't going to affect it either unless the voltage is probably 95V or less, or maybe higher than 135, but I doubt the clock won't work on over voltage since it's regulated.

What's left is frequency that several have mentioned. That clock locks accuracy to the 60Hz input to keep time, and may very well not display at all until it gets a reference. This is not a frequency locked generator, and the OP did mention that it speeds up.. Question is by how much and whats the resulting frequency? That's all that's left... There are DVM's that have frequency measurement, Amp Clamps, Plug-in AC monitors, etc. THAT's the next test.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

When I read the original post (noval idea)... it seemed to me that the generator was running... so the starter must be working... which would mean the gears are OK...

Not necessarily. A working starter must engage the gears, crank over, then disengage. The discussion above was suggesting the third one may not be functioning and can affect the electrical output. This affected output could easily prevent "smart" electronic devices from operating, even the clock.

Just because something is running, it doesn't mean it's working.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SCVJeff wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but AC is AC. It doesn't matter if hot and neutral is reversed or the ground is lifted, or both at the same time (to the MW, obviously dangerous). the microwave just doesn't care. Voltage isn't going to affect it either unless the voltage is probably 95V or less, or maybe higher than 135, but I doubt the clock won't work on over voltage since it's regulated.

Read my post from a couple of pages back. I had the same conclusion until another member pointed out to me that some devices detect polarity on purpose and prevent operation (of everything, including a stupid little clock). This can be done with a simple detector between ground and neutral. It's also entirely possible that the microwave dectects a very specifc voltage range to prevent too high of a current demand from an under voltage condition. Yes this seems unlikely for a lowly little microwave but something's causing it to not work from a power source that runs other things ok (except the A/C unit--big clue there).

But again, the OP already confirmed the polarity is ok.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy, you clearly refuse to comprehend, so there is no point in trying to explain it further.

It's all magic, okay?

Besides, it was highly unlikely to be the cause. The engine would chew up the starter in a few minutes, and it would not start the next time.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

SCVJeff wrote:

Read my post from a couple of pages back. I had the same conclusion until another member pointed out to me that some devices detect polarity on purpose and prevent operation (of everything, including a stupid little clock). This can be done with a simple detector between ground and neutral. It's also entirely possible that the microwave dectects a very specifc voltage range to prevent too high of a current demand from an under voltage condition. Yes this seems unlikely for a lowly little microwave but something's causing it to not work from a power source that runs other things ok (except the A/C unit--big clue there).

But again, the OP already confirmed the polarity is ok.
Exactly

halibutman214

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really really wanted to know what was causing this very interesting problem but now am not so sure I want to know at all.

2008 Dodge Ram 6.7 Laramie SRW SB
2012 Keystone Passport 26BHWE
2009 Lance 830 with Tent foldout
20' North River Seahawk Boat
2005 Honda VTX1300

srl520

Henderson

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To clarify, the starter engages and disengages when it is suppose to. There is no problem with the starter.
I will call Johnny Walker RV see what they say.

2006 Kodiak 4500 4x4.
1994 1010 Weekender
2000 1110 Weekender

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generator? Won't run Microwave
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts