|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV Tow Car Shield

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mmartinfan

sun city center, florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to look into the Protect a Tow now. Thats seems easy to put on. I was worried about the rv tow car shield rubbing the paint and hard to put on.

dbates

Marion, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 for Protect-A-Tow

Dave

Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

chastho

arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Tow car shield is not hard to put on but it does take time to put on and take off plus you have to have a place to stow it. I have used it and now use the protect a tow, a lot easier and I leave it on the MH draped over the tow bar so when I hook up there is only 2 hooks and the cross bar to hook up, only takes a couple of minutes.

nbargolf

St Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second the protect a tow. We used it 4 years now and 25,000 miles and it works great no scuff marks at all.

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one of those big heavy full hight and width mud flaps on the coach. So far not one stone hit and for whatever reason nothing from the exhaust either (may or my not be related).

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Kiwi_too

Western, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a similar product to the Protect a Tow and that is Tow Defender.

May God bless your travels

Me, The Wonderful Wife
and two Spastic Border Collies
U.S. Army Retired
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2007 Saturn Outlook, FROG

Daniel99

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi
À got à coastline tow car Shields
For 5 year And i think thats the Best
No scratch no chip and easy to install
Now its for sale i sales m'y jeep grand Cherokee 2005
And i'm going to bye à new ones for m'y new car
Sorry for m'y bad englis i'm french

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Protect-A-Tow and it doesn't keep all the road junk off the toad but it does keep most of it off. I really haven't found a difference between using it and not using it so it generally stays in the storage compartments of the RV.

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many good solutions for protecting your toad. Here are some thoughts with pros and cons.

My BIL had the Coastline car cover and it was a pain. It's a lot of work to install and remove. Even if you're just unhooking the toad to park it, you have to remove part of it to see out the windshield. If you have a rear radiator diesel, it will be a filthy mess to handle each time you stop.

I like the Protect a Tow, but again, it looks like it takes some work to install each time you use it. I understand the mounting locations are pre installed, but you would still have to get down on your hands and knees to connect it. This gets harder as you get older. I'm also not a fan of installing visible hooks on the front of my toad or coach.

The rock shields that mount to the tow bars look like they work well, but become a storage issue and another thing to deal width.

I have mudflaps directly behind the duals and and the large full width mudflap across the back. I don't think this gives you complete protection. Road debris will still get kicked up.

I've towed three differnt vehicles. On each one, I've ordered a front bra by "Le Bra". They seem to have a bra for every application. The bra is in two pieces, a lower section that covers the air dam, bumper and grill. The upper section covers the leading edge of the hood. You could probably get by with just the lower section. It's still something you have to install, but I install it at the beginning of a trip and take it off when I get home. I've never had an issue with attaching the tow cables or wiring with the bra on.

I think all of the options are good and you need to pick what works best for you. I'm a big believer of keeping things like attaching the toad simple so that it doesn't become a chore.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are using the Roadmaster towbar, then the Tow Defender is ideal. I prefer it because it lies above the towbar, not below it. Sure, it doesn't keep crud off the towbar, but it is very easy to put on and take off. Attaches both fore and aft to the towbar setup. No dingy attach points needed.

And get rid of that big mud flap. It just stirs up the rocks and gravel by dragging on the road.

And, Daniel: no problem, mon ami -- your English is a heck of a lot better than my French!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV Tow Car Shield
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS