|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> family size camping dicrimination

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I’ve read this thread, also commented earlier, and in defense of the original post person, she or he (MY4KIDS) never said they felt they were being discriminated against. That’s some one else’s comment.

......and what does the title of the thread say? Yea, the OP misspelled discrimination but that is the OP's intent.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

HJGyswyt

Buckley Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Aileen, you got me on that one (you to JMTandem, no real name). I didn’t even see that when I went back and re-read the post. But wait; did you notice the spelling of discrimination? I know; that’s not nice.

I try not to judge, but in reality I do frequently. I’ll see a loud family with kids running around unsupervised or parents who drink too much or smoke around their children, but then I tell myself, at least they love their kids enough to take them camping and being out doors away from TV, computers and cell phones is so refreshing. I truly believe the world would be a better place if everyone could enjoy the experience. Hans

stpauligirlmn

St. Paul

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard for families of every size to stretch their dollar. I feel your pain!

I'm with the posters who are recommending county, state and federal parks. Not only do they usually charge per site (not per head), they often have fun ranger programs or wildlife walks/talks for the kids. I wish we had camped when my kids were younger - boy did we all miss out!

Have a blast camping with your kids!!

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HJGyswyt wrote:

I’ve read this thread, also commented earlier, and in defense of the original post person, she or he (MY4KIDS) never said they felt they were being discriminated against. That’s some one else’s comment.

READ THE SUBJECT LINE: "family size camping dicrimination"

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There campground there rules.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

OK Aileen, you got me on that one (you to JMTandem, no real name). I didn’t even see that when I went back and re-read the post. But wait; did you notice the spelling of discrimination? I know; that’s not nice.

I try not to judge, but in reality I do frequently. I’ll see a loud family with kids running around unsupervised or parents who drink too much or smoke around their children, but then I tell myself, at least they love their kids enough to take them camping and being out doors away from TV, computers and cell phones is so refreshing. I truly believe the world would be a better place if everyone could enjoy the experience. Hans

Hans,

Agreed. If more folks took their kids camping the world might be a better place when they grow into adults. To that end camping is an investment in kids (not a cost) and therefore my point about not fretting about paying per kid is both realistic and has value. The OP thinks the extra cost per kid is a 'cost' and I am not sure the OP sees it as an investment.

Jim (see I have a real name)

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Quote:

Hans,

Agreed. If more folks took their kids camping the world might be a better place when they grow into adults. To that end camping is an investment in kids (not a cost) and therefore my point about not fretting about paying per kid is both realistic and has value. The OP thinks the extra cost per kid is a 'cost' and I am not sure the OP sees it as an investment.

Jim (see I have a real name)

I agree. We saw getting into camping as an investment in our family. Sure you do sometimes have to worry about the bottom dollar but when things are tight then sometimes camping trips have to have a little longer span between them.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

searfoss

East Stroudsburg PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it all depends on a persons definition of Camping. I know people who primarily stay at RV Resorts, with full hook up all the amenities (that’s ok that’s their ting). We however primarily stay at state parks, we don’t carry and television, but have board games firewood, hiking staffs, cameras and other stuff. That’s what camping is to us and the parks we go to do not charge extra for kids. We used to have three kids go with us all the time and never had a problem or were charged extra.

Poconos Pennsylvania
2007 Gulf Stream Gulf Breeze 23TRS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner writes "It is also a management tool for the park to keep the occupancy down to a manageable level."

BINGO! We have the answer.

Folks, the owner of most RV campgrounds are in the business to make a profit, at the same time balancing capacity along with costs.

It is a business decision wich allows them to make it affordable for small families along with larger families.

At the same time it would be unfair for small families to pay a larger fee based on say 2 adults and 6 kids when it may be just two adults.

Bigger families tend to use more of the campgrounds resources than smaller.

The fees for the extra kids is usually very small perhaps a few dollars each per day. That should not be enough to break any RVr's bank account.

Besides if it was unlimited then you WILL have some folks take it the extreme and bring along 10, heck even 20 or more rowdy drinking adults that get louder as the evening progresses. All it would take is a hundred campers at that rate to nearly fill to capacity a small 500 campsite park.

Ewingfamily

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read this topic and see everyone has focused on the original complaint but no one answered their question.
There is a great family amusement park with 2 campgrounds- knoebels. They have the family definition you are looking for. When camping in MD state parks- they have a 6 person max. but will make exceptions if they are parent and dependent children. So it would be wise to research state parks but also, it is all about going where you want- don't loose sight of that due to a few extra bucks. We tend to camp in state parks/rural areas more so we do not encounter too many surcharges. Those resort type campgrounds seem to do that. I use rvparkreviews.com to research camping options.

2011 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 29 QBH
2008 CHEVY silverado MAX
Family of 5 (kids ages 10, 7, 5)
2 golden retrievers (Cooper 4 & Claude 1)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> family size camping dicrimination
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS