RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: How long is too long?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How long is too long?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
LaunchnRetrieve

Butte County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 25 foot trailer that is probably about 28 feet from tongue to spare. And I have the truck to tow it with.

I'm not sure what to make of campground descriptions that say they have sites for tents and RV's to 28 feet (for example). Are they referring only to motorhomes up to 28 feet or should I expect that my 25 foot trailer with TV will fit?

What's your experience with this?

unimogdave

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up here in Ontario Canada, the provincial parks have an online reservation system that lists the length of the trailer the site will accomodate. It does not include the Tow Vehicle. Up here it is typically traliers below 18ft and above. Problem is, there are much fewer of the longer sites and they get reserved quickly so even though my trailer was 19 ft, I still choose the 18ft sites. Always felt there was room for more trailer.

Kalabin

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up here in Alaska the state parks call out 25 foot (back in, pull through) etc. What that tells us is the spot's are 25 foot in total length. I had a heck of a time finding good spots with my travel trailer last year, so we sold it and went to a truck camper to avoid it!

But, typically I believe it's for the actual footage length of the pad. You may have to unhitch the truck and park it elsewhere if they allow it. Keep in mind on most sites you can back your trailer to where the tires are almost off the pad and squeeze in a bit more. I was 54' long and camped on 50' spots all the time with my truck attached.

2013 F150 Ecoboost, FX4, Crew Cab, Max Tow, 402A Package "loaded"

Fabguy

Auburn, Washigton

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 01:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For just weekend stuff we do a lot of "recon" trips.... Take a day and drive to places we THINK we may want to camp... Walk around and take notes....

We have found that we can end up fitting in a spot that is only meant to have a small trailer or motorhome.... AND we have found that we cannot fit in a spot that is listed as one that can take a "large trailer".

YMMV....

Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Dual Cam HP

Pulling a 2004 Sprinter 274 RLS

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 22FB that is 26.5' long with a 20' long truck. When I go into the reservation systems, I put in 27' length to cut out all the smaller ones. So far, I have not gotten a site too small. One of our first trips, I booked a 25' site and it was a tight squeeze but we fit. Strictly my observation: when measuring the site, public campgrounds, when it states room for two vehicles, count one as at least 15' long and the remaining space is listed under 'max vehicle length.'

Often, when one looks at the details, it will state the driveway length, site length, grade, and any notes about the site such as "narrow entrance" or "no slides."

Here is an example:
Driveway Grade: Slight
Driveway Surface: Gravel
Driveway Entry: Pull-Through
Driveway Length: 145
Max Vehicle Length: 32
Shade: Full
Site Length: 135
Site Width: 40
Capacity/Size Rating: Single
Campfire Allowed: Y
Fire Pit: Y
Picnic Table: Y

Sometimes it is not the driveway length that is limiting the vehicle sizes, it is the road to get there. In the case of the site above, there is a turn to get to it with trees close to the road that prohibit anything longer.

When booking sites, If I have to book one that is 27' or less, I know we may have to angle the truck to get it in the spot. But I don't remember not having space for both trailer and truck. I notice sometimes, when the driveway lengths are really short (Assateague State Park pet loop for example) there is a paved area next to the site for a vehicle.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LaunchnRetrieve wrote:

I have a 25 foot trailer that is probably about 28 feet from tongue to spare. And I have the truck to tow it with.

I'm not sure what to make of campground descriptions that say they have sites for tents and RV's to 28 feet (for example). Are they referring only to motorhomes up to 28 feet or should I expect that my 25 foot trailer with TV will fit?

What's your experience with this?
Our experience is all over the place. Take NY SPs for example.

There was one that said the maximum length trailer for the entire CG was 20'. We made reservations anyway since we are just 23' and we ended up fitting fine.

There was another one that listed all different sizes and we reserved a 30' spot. We should have had all sorts of room, but in reality the paved pad was 15 feet long with a line of brush and trees maybe 15 feet back from the pad. The hookups were near the front of the pad So - we obviously asked to change spots - and that was difficult since it was the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and the park was full - it definitely wasn't our favorite experience.

Oh, and both these places allowed parking of the TV to the side of the trailer.

Did I say yet that I hate reservations? But, they seem to be a necessary evil.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on the particular reservation system you're using. When in doubt, just call the campground and ask them directly about the sites you're considering. (Hint: Also ask them if, given the sites you're considering, they would recommend one or recommend avoiding one... Someone familiar with the campground may be able to tell you that these certain ones are muddy, or these other ones have great views)

Generally speaking, if you're plus or minus a few feet, you'll probably be fine. However, don't expect to cram a 30-footer into a site labeled as good for a tent.

Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called a couple federal parks in reference to this question and was told it's total length of both trailer and TV. Even PUP's wouldn't fit in most 30' sites. I've also been told by other folks here that they've not had problems at the same parks using the figure as just the trailer length. So it sounds like it's a******shoot, make reservations for a site that's shorter then your overall lenght, drive 2000 miles and take your chances.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

LaunchnRetrieve

Butte County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great responses! Some very good tips in here. Love the personal experience feedback. OK, my experiences will vary. If I can get them to answer the phone, or even find a number (cutbacks in California are creating communication challenges) call and talk to each campground ahead of time to see what their ratings mean. And so on. Thanks very much everyone.

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of sites offering Campground photos. We are about 34 ft. with hitch. Nearly 59 total with truck. Had Zero problems so far in State or Fed campgrounds. Sometimes my back end over hangs a little, our TT sits pretty high off the ground. I recon using Internet and campground internet sites. I normally type in Campground Photos and get results.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How long is too long?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS