|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 99 Lance 820 ready for the Dump

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd continue to try to sell it since you aren't able to do the repairs needed. It's not a real big job but is very time consuming and an inside/heated building would be needed. Likeky way too much for you in your condition. If the rest of the camper is in decent shape structurally, you should be able to get $1500-$2000 for it and you probably could use the money. The front nose/cabover total repair should be well under $500 for all materials not including a person's time to make it like or better than new. Labor is by far the biggest cost! Just be very careful in removing everything so most of it can be cleaned up and re-installed. A close friend of ours repairs Class "C"s and campers cabovers and roofs for a living and has for nearly 30 years now working for a large RV dealer. He gave me the costs I quoted as my sister's class "C" cabover had leaked and rotted the whole front area, frame and walls plus about 3 feet of the cabover floor and some of the frame below. Mattress was ripe with mold and was tossed! Our friend suggested removing the front window all together as that is the worst area for leaks and sweating that causes the rot and the window has no real function other than catching stones, breaking, and transmitting cold and heat from the outside. The inside storm window helps but the aluminum frame sweats like mad and drips!

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

JumboJet

Tontitown Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple things - 1) some of you people are trying to make me out as a bad guy. 2) you are trying to tell someone else how to conduct their personal business.

Dan posted: I did put an ad on craigslist to see if anyone would haul it away..

Here is some of what I do:

I bought this camper for little or nothing and it is being rebuilt to serve at a camp for boys and girls that come from homes where they have no parents or their parents are incarcerated.
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z127/JumboJet1949/Camp%20P82%20Kitchen/

Here is some of the work and investment that has been done to take this camper ready for the junk pile and make it usable. The pictures of the ceiling replacement is not online so I cannot share them. And yes, I have spent a few thousand dollars for this repair. My son donated the flooring and labor to repair a rotten floor.

The Lance 820 will be for my son, who had a stroke a few weeks ago at age 34.
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z127/JumboJet1949/P82%20Floor/

Here is the charity that the Aluma camper is going to:
http://www.campp82ministries.com/

Here is a link to a week at the camp where I volunteered to cook for the campers, even providing meat.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z127/JumboJet1949/Camp%20P82/

Now about repairing the 820 - and being willing to drive 1700 miles at today's fuel prices to pick it up sight unseen and knowing what the condition and repair costs can be - as I mentioned, I rebuilt the front end of a 1030 for my wife's cousin - about $3,200 by the time we finished. And I will be glad to furnish those pictures again.

Since you people really don't know me - and I have even talked to Dan on the phone this morning - Dan and I will conduct this business between ourselves. Thanks

Greg B

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you gotten an estimate from a shop for the repairs?
If the damage is isolated to the front nose, it might not be that expensive to repair.
A new lance is well over $20,000 now. Might be worth it to put a couple grand into it if everything else is in good shape.

04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tough crowd this morning!

To the OP... I'm so sorry this happened to you and your camper and I hope the outcome is satisfactory for you. Mainly?.... take care of your health! I'm sending your good vibes!
Dak

1995 Weekender model 910 extended cabover
Calvin, the 1996 creampuff Chev Silverado 3500 extended cab dually
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just called our friend who repairs them for a living and HAS for 29 years now and he says you're mistaken. $500 will more than cover the cost of ALL MATERIALS needed not using the old skin. He said he usually can reuse the old skin if it's in ghood shape as it's a perfect fit. Goes right back on where it came off from! He said he gives the RV owner the choice to or not to use the old. He should know as he does many of them every year. Sounds like you are the one who got ripped off on what you paid for your sheet of exterior cover and the one who took your money laughed all the way to the bank!

JumboJet

Tontitown Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelnutz wrote:

I The front nose/cabover total repair should be well under $500 for all materials not including a person's time to make it like or better than new. Labor is by far the biggest cost!

Sorry, but that doesn't add up. You can't get the fiberglass to recover the front shipped to you for $500.

We spent $200 on SS screws, putty tape, sealants, and 1 sheet of plywood.

And hours of labor tearing apart and putting back together.

Unless you have ridden this horse, leave yours in the barn!

Jim

DSeckt

Cedar Point , Northern Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geeze there's a lot of advice on here... Please don't blame Jim for taking advantage of my situation.. Jims a friend... and if he can fix it up for his son...the money means very little to me.. I would never try and sell something that I know has this type of problems... Following that rule..I sleep very well at night.

06 Ford F350 Dually/ Crew/ PS / SB
Lance 820.......

JumboJet

Tontitown Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

88lover did a similar repair - here is what he posted. Go argue with him too!

88lover - "I do see a number of campers on ebay with rot damage at a good price but repairs are expensive even for DIYS repairs. My materials cost about $1500 and my tools that I picked up at pawn shops and ebay cost about $500."

Your friend might have a roll of stock and can use cut to length sheets. I ordered what was needed that was delivered via 18 wheeler in a 10' crate.

Dan agreed with my offer and I do not understand why all you other folks are beating me up!

JumboJet

Tontitown Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSeckt wrote:

Geeze there's a lot of advice on here... Please don't blame Jim for taking advantage of my situation.. Jims a friend... and if he can fix it up for his son...the money means very little to me.. I would never try and sell something that I know has this type of problems... Following that rule..I sleep very well at night.

Thanks Dan and God bless you all.

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetenbu wrote:

JumboJet wrote:

I sent a PM. I rebuilt a 99 1030 and would be happy to take it off your hands if no one else calls for it first.

I would hope that you would pay him a fair price for it rather than just take it for free. This poor guy has had a really bad 2 years just trying to stay alive. Please do not add insult to injury just because he seems to be in a position that you can. We all on here are a great group of campers that don't want to intentionally take advantage of one another.

I for one would be interested in feedback from the OP that he got what he feels is a fair price for it and DID NOT just have to GIVE IT AWAY.

Don't you all agree?

Nope don't agree!

OP said he'd offered it up for free in an add. Please don't take someone to task for offering to haul it away for free. Campers that have damage to them get offered up for free more often than you'd believe. But it you are willing to rebuild some, just keep an eye on Craigslist. You'll find lots of work.

Certainly don't mean to be unkind. But do understand the positions of both. One gets to drive several hours to pick it up and the other doesn't have to pay to get it hauled off.

Win Win,,,,,,,,,for both.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 99 Lance 820 ready for the Dump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers