RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Spec a HTT for me?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Spec a HTT for me?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our unit is no longer made but it has queen front, twin out the side and rear bunk beds.

Our pup was huge, with king/queen, sleeper couch, slideout dinette, pottie shower, but was a PITA to set up and operate.
Tow vehicle will definately dictate on what you can or can not tow safely.

2008 Starcraft Travelstar Sport 21RBH
2008 Chevy Trailblazer V8 3.42/ 2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0/3.73 Captains.
Lowe 1448 Big Jon, 25hp tiller, 55lb MK transom TM.
Old Town Guide 147 Canoe
Me, DW, dd08, dd12, 88lb black lab!

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am upgrading tow vehicles even though we have 5.3 V8 and 6200lb towing. We run out of payload fast and practically had at GCWR just by towing the pup.

We are stepping up to K3500 SRW crew cab, old school 5.7, 4l80E, 4.10 ratio, and factory camper spec package. Getting it painted right now, and checking out some 2500 rims/tires off a 2010 that I found on craiglist. Find a cheap tow vehicle and start from there.

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't underestimate the shower in these campers. It's a tradition of sorts at Ohio State Parks to walk around after dinner and scout out the campsites and other campers. A common comment I hear when folks walk by "our" local campsite (where we usually camp Memorial Day) is how wonderful they are (overlooking the lake and in the trees) but how far they are from the shower house.

Gotta tell ya I've not been in a shower house since we bought the Roo. Not once. Yeah, I schlep a lot of water and back haul the grey, but I like MY shower!

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

dadmomh

Right here

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't spend a lot of time fretting over the shower vs shower house. Our 23SS has the corner shower - not huge, but very functional. Not gonna get a long, leisurely shower, but if just getting clean is what you're after, then you'll be fine. I use "my" shower every trip and would not even consider having to use the shower house - hate the things! DH, at 6'3 is more comfortable using the shower house, but has used "mine" and is ok with it. With little ones, I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll use your very own rather than haul kids and towels and clothes to the shower house. There have been some folks who have had issues with water splashing out of the shower stall/curtain - no problem here. So if you do get water splashing.....grab a towel and dry it off. Still easier than hauling all that stuff back and forth. The only time our shower gets used for storage is on the trip home, the laundry basket sits in there. It's yours, you bought it, you paid $ for it, use it!

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 1 year old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP - looks like these responses are converging on the need for a larger tow vehicle. Given your hard requirements you need a slightly larger and heavier RV - one that is realistically out of the safe capacity of your present RV. If getting a new tow vehicle is out of the question then you may well be restricted to a good popup. One thing is well advised though - I don't think you should relax your requirements just to fit a borderline suitable HTT. You will regret it after and grumble until you buy the correct RV for your needs.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

whineconnoiseur

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again guys.
Once again you are probably right about the shower and the kids.

I guess a new tow vehicle it is. I'm taking suggestions My kids are 6 and 3 yr old twins--so still using car seats. My husband drives about 5 miles round trip to work. So we just hate to invest in a new vehicle for him when his current one is 9 yrs old with 45K--and of course paid for!

I guess you're happy with the expedition and Roo set up Chuck? That seems like it would be enough room for us, without being too big...and we could probably find a nice used one.

I really love the idea of the built in bunk beds. I saw a Dutchmen Cub 23BH. Any known issues with that model? It looks very similar to yours PAThwacker. Thanks for pointing it out.

And since I'm talking about all of my issues here with ya--any thoughts on storage?
We live on two acres on the river. My neighbors would probably hate us (because they could see it), but is there a reason why I wouldn't want to park it down in my backyard? We have picnic and oyster tables, fire pit, and the kids tire swing set up permanently down there. We have a big porch on our dock with electricity and already joke and call it our "weekend house". We thought it would be fun to use it at home. Does that seem reasonable? We've tent camped a couple of times and even invited friends to camp with it. HA HA.

whineconnoiseur

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like we cross posted! and came to the same conclusion wmoses.

No need to mince words here guys. I might not take all your advice, but I asked because I wanted to learn and make sure I thought things through.

botterbein

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that the tow vehicle upgrade should come first. Yes, it's a major expense, but with the weight limit, you'll end up with an HTT that works now, but you'll soon outgrow. We went down the same path just a couple of years ago. Had a tow vehicle that could only pull 5000 lbs, so purchased one of the larger pop ups, even had a slide out. After only one season of cranking it up and down, pulling out beds, struggling with packing and unpacking, we ended up trading for a new tow vehicle, and trading for the new HTT.

Didn't mind the move up to the larger tow vehicle, the old one was a 2003 Tundra with a 6cyl, the new to me one, is a 2008 Chevy Silverado crew cab V8. The big surprise is that the Chevy gets better mileage than the Toyota did, and with a full back seat, more room for our three Akitas, or in your case, 3 car seats.

The hit on the pop up is what really hurt, I figure that each camping trip we took that first year, cost me about $400.

On the subject of storage, our neighbors take a different view. New Mexico is camping country, and at least half dozen of the houses in this valley, have some type of RV alongside them. Mine is parked between the house, and the garage, beds closed, but slide room out, and plugged in. I use it for my craft room, or a place to escape, when I just want a little private time.

-2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
-2011 Rockwood Roo21ss
-Husky WDH and Friction Sway
-Prodigy 2 Brake Controller

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK: what, EXACTLY, is your current TV?

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our's differs slightly than convential htt. I wanted space for beds, vs an uncomfortable couch, and don't have wards for storing clothes, nor slideout. It's a basic unit that grosses out at 5k but has the beds for everyone. We are typically only weekend campers, and don't ever fret about getting rained out, or plan to hang inside of it either. We are getting the pickup to haul stroller, pack n play, bikes, firewood, gray tanks, water tanks, and whatever esle. The trailblazer/pup worked out somewhat, but I had to put gear on the roof of it, and had a 100lb black lab share the back seat with one car seat. Typical camping weekends had it at 10000lbs combined, and that was one thousand pounds shy of the GCWR of the truck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Spec a HTT for me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS