|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A year and a half ago I was fitted with a new bipap due to amount of air needed to keep my airway open. The humidifier behaved strangly as some nights on number two setting it didn't heat up. The people at Providence Health Systems assured me it was OK. Now, a year and a half later I am snowbirding in Apache Junction Az. and it quit working altogether two weeks ago. After two days of haggling with Providence and Philips Respironics, (it is under warrenty) they sent me a new humidifier (had to drive over 100 miles to pick it up) that still doesn't work. The humidifier burner light blinks off a on and the manual says that means there is no connection between the bipap and humidifier. I called the factory when this first happened and they gave me phone numbers in the Phoenix area but the dealers decline working on machine they didn't sell. I have never been treated so poorly as by these local vendors. If my chevy breaks down, I go to a dealer and the warrenty work is done but not so with Philips Respironics. I have a severe hearing loss which has made this a difficult situation. Have any of you that snowbird had the same thing happen and how did you get it resolved. It has become so painful that I take the face mask off in my sleep and it is dangerous have low oxygen levels in you blood. Thanks for any help. Signed,desperate Cotton mouth in Arizona..

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the problem is actually with the machine feeding power to the humidifier.

Does the bi-pap feature still work OK without the water heater feature?

For upkeep/traveling reasons I only used my humidity feature for about a year then tossed it completely.

Many travel with two machines. Thankful I had two because just a few nights into our cross country last fall one started to acting up. Look at picking you up a used one too. Craiglist is where I found the last one.

I like Remstar brand because they are so common and easy to find.

Keep in mind CPAP manchines were not designed for bouncing around in a trailer or MH so they may break more often when subjected to that abuse. Get a spare.

The going rate today is about $200 today because most never get used but for long before they go to the closet. You will have to set the pressure but if you are able to post on a web forum you have enough technically ability to dod that.

I think about 12,000 hours is as long as one has lasted for my use but that one was NOT used in a RV that bounced down interstates.

tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Thanks for youur response.. I bag my machine and it rides on the bed and our trailer rides pretty smooth. This machine I have has been faulty from the start and has just gotten worse. I just was on the internet and have found many folks with the same problem. I am having trouble finding someone who will repair it. Respironics by Philips has little or no customer support that I can find. Maybe the problem is actually with the machine feeding power to the humidifier.

Does the bi-pap feature still work OK without the water heater feature?

For upkeep/traveling reasons I only used my humidity feature for about a year then tossed it completely.

Many travel with two machines. Thankful I had two because just a few nights into our cross country last fall one started to acting up. Look at picking you up a used one too. Craiglist is where I found the last one.

I like Remstar brand because they are so common and easy to find.

Keep in mind CPAP manchines were not designed for bouncing around in a trailer or MH so they may break more often when subjected to that abuse. Get a spare.

The going rate today is about $200 today because most never get used but for long before they go to the closet. You will have to set the pressure but if you are able to post on a web forum you have enough technically ability to dod that.

I think about 12,000 hours is as long as one has lasted for my use but that one was NOT used in a RV that bounced down interstates.

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My CPAP does the same thing when we travel. I just take the humidifier off and use it without. It has something to do with the Sine Waves (whatever the heck that is) The only problem I have with going without the humidifier is that if I'm in a low humidity area I'll lose my voice after 2 weeks or so. Some people say that's a benefit!!!! LOL

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

afraid of bears

Prince George Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought...

On my Remstar, the cord that plugs into the blower unit is the same size as the one that fits into the humidifier. Normally, my power cord goes into the blower unit and a jumper runs between it and the humidifier. Is yours similar?

Can you plug the cord from the wall directly into the humidifier (thus taking the blower unit out of the equation)? That way you could see if it is an issue of the power not getting to the humidifier from the blower unit. If the humidifier then works, you would know that it is not the problem.

I know how frustrating these things can be. Mine has been away for some surgery at the factory. It was having some fun with me and shutting down at random during the night. I hate waking up and finding out that I'm not breathing!!!!! Evidently, that's not a good thing!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just get a passover humidifier and have no need for electricity to it.
bumpy

a1albert

Hood river, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check Craigs list in the area's you are traveling in for a good used machine for a back up. I poke around on Portland's craigs list once in awhile and see cpap macines on there some are cheap and some are not. I take it you are a retired from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue? do you know Jeff Cooper of TVFR?

Albert

06 Chev
2013 Cougar High Country 299RKSHC
Elite 18k hitch, Sidewinder pinbox

tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

just get a passover humidifier and have no need for electricity to it.
bumpy
I have been using it in the passover mode but things are pretty dry in the Arizona desert. When your setting is 18, that is a lot of pressure and air volume and it really does a number on your sinuses. I called the provider of the machine today and got the phone number of the factory rep and spoke with him at length. This machine I have is still under warrenty and they are sending me a whole new machine that I should have by Monday. The machine has been haywire from the begining and I should have been more persistent when they told me the machine was fine. It shouldn't have to take over two weeks to get a hold of the company who charged an arm and a leg for the machine. Thanks for all your responses. I am grateful for your help.

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvfrfireman hope you get things under control, a back up sounds like a good idea.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I thought 12 was high.

You really should consider picking up another machine for backup.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS