I use a battery tender to keep my chasiss battery charged and it does it's job but I have noticed bad corrosion on the positive terminal. Does anyone know why this occurs? Am I overcharging my battery by leaving the tender on all the time when not in use? And is it better to disconnect the battery while sitting for periods of time rather than charging it? Thanks, Bob.
I'm not really a battery tech and certainly don't know what causes the corrosion. I suspect it's from either a high rate of sustained charge or, there's a leak in or around a terminal, not sure. I've had my share of corroded terminals in the past and I hate that stuff. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon D/P, is always plugged in at home. I've done some battery work in the last few months on both the chassis batts and the house batts.
Anyway, I didn't really have any corrosion before my battery maintenance and, like stated, it's been consistently plugged in since the work was done. I don't have any now what so ever and since I don't like any of that junk on my battery terminals and cable ends, they remain clean and nice. I take a look at them at least once a week and, all is well.
With a battery "maintainer" I would think that certainly you would NOT have an "over charge" condition that would cause boiling and therefore surface acid residue which, I think would enhance the corrosion properties. So, what's causing your condition, don't know. Let us know what you find out.
Scott and Karla SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 White Honda CRV EX-L,4WD w/NAV Toad 2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing KI60ND