RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Mount Rushmore in July

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Mount Rushmore in July

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Take the Grayline bus tour of Rushmore and Crazy Horse and search this Forum for `Rushmore' for more information.
Go to www.weather.com and type in any city for the averages for any month of the year.

Good advice.

We did this for two days in Yellow Stone and saw more than we would have in a week on our own I am sure.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Hill City KOA during bike week in the summer of 2006. Called the day before and made our reservations. We were the only ones in the campground without a bike. LOL. Most expensive campground I have ever stayed at, but it was nice. I have since found another one down the road that is cheaper, but I have not been there.

ERS

minn camping family

Minnesota, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed at Beaver Lake CG in Custer for two years and have found it to be a nice, peaceful and well run place. Custer is pretty centrally located if you are planning on doing any southern hills activities, also it's an excellent base camp for exploring Custer State Park. The town is also good for getting supplies, gas, and PIE (one of life's necessities haha) at the Purple Pie Place (a bit pricey but oh so good!!).

One note about Beaver Lake CG - there are rabbits all over the place - and if you have a dog like ours who thinks rabbits are her #1 enemy, be warned. It wasn't too bad, we just kept an eye out and went the long way around sometimes during our walks, when I was lucky enough to see them before she did!

There are quite a few free/reasonable things to do... definitely spend some time in Custer State Park. Explore the side roads, take the road up to the Mount Coolidge fire tower (not in an RV!), stop at the lookouts, ask the rangers where the buffalo herd is and also where the begging burros are (bring carrots or apples and the burros will be your best friends), stop at the Peter Norbeck visitor center and of course the gift shops, do the trails around Sylvan Lake, drive the road around Stockade Lake, and most definitely do the Iron Mountain Road/Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway.

Other free/low cost things I can think of, around Rapid City you can take the "Star Tour" of attractions (listed in their literature) and see the Stavkirke (sp?) church, the SD School of Mines & Technology Museum of Geology (very cool dinosaur fossils and minerals), Storybook Island is a free park for kids, Memorial Park has a section of the Berlin Wall, Dinosaur Park & Skyline Drive are fun, and the Ellsworth Air Force Base has a tour that you can take for a nominal fee.

Since you'll be saving all this money on attractions you should splurge one night and go to the Alpine Inn in Hill City for dinner. There's only one item on the menu - a filet mignon steak - but it's wonderful and there is a full dessert menu so save room for dessert!

keepingthelightson

Santa Clarita, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Rafter J last summer and by far one of the nicest CG's we have ever stayed at. As Dennis said earlier, look at the picture and decide. We were next to a huge meadow and had dear grazzing in the evening.
1. Sylvan Lake - National Treasure 2 was filmed there. Great time
with the kids hiking on the rocks. The store at Sylvan Lake has
the best hamburgers I have ever had.
2. Tour of Wind Cave.
3. Mt. Rushmore day and night. Visitors center is neat.
4. Bear Country - drive through animal park.
5. Reptile Gardens - Lots of rare reptiles and other really neat
animals. Well worth it in my opinion.
6. Custer SP - It was ok. We did stop and feed the burriors carrots.
7. Presidents Wax Museum in Keystone (I think look it up)
7. Enjoy the beautiful senary in and around Mt. Rushmore!

Have fun!

05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

azandy70

Green Bay WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rafter j is nice. We have stayed at mt Rushmore koa in hill city. It is nice. We were not real impressed in crazy horse but my Rushmore was real nice. Custer state park was probably our favorite with the needles highway.
We are stopping back this July and will do the 1800 train.
Just love south Dakota.

2011 F350 SRW 4x4 Crew cab short box

2012 KZ Stone Ridge. 36UL

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a wooded site at Rafter J, you want the "Island".

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Kenny3p0

Travelling Full Time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/12 12:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shadows4 wrote:

WooHoo!!! Got my reservations made for the first week of July at Beaver Lake Campground. Can't wait to get the TT out of storage to start packing. Maybe I'll wait a couple more weeks yet. Anyway thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. WooHoo!!! SD here we come!

You will love the park. We spent a week there the second week of April. The park was quite empty but amazingly well maintained. Max, the owner also is an RV er and designed his park well. He was a great host to me and my family. There are tons of bikes he has rehabed for the kids to ride. Its close to everything but Rapid City. If you want to see Jewel Cave or Wind Cave make reservations as soon as you arrive as they limit the number of guests on each guided tour and it may take a day or so to get in. Take cash to Rushmore because the parking lot doesnt take cards. Our kids loved the national park passport program, you can pick up a booklet at any park and every park has a dated stamp section.

2005 Ram 3500 DRW Quadzilla
2009 Keystone Cougar 316QBS

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/12 01:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A world-class geology and paleontology museum is located at the School of Mines in Rapid City. If you want to see very fine exhibits of prehistoric fossils and minerals from around the world, it's a must-see visit. Price is very reasonable and makes a nice break in the Rapid City area. Also in downtown Rapid City walk around a little and enjoy the presidents statues, quite interesting and if you have children they will enjoy the history lesson.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WooHoo!!! Got my reservations made for the first week of July at Beaver Lake Campground. Can't wait to get the TT out of storage to start packing. Maybe I'll wait a couple more weeks yet. Anyway thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. WooHoo!!! SD here we come!

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 157,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Mount Rushmore in July
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS