|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer length making me wonder

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kosmic wrote:

I have been towing a 33 foot Wildwood with an Armada. The wheelbase of the Armada is 110". I use an anti-sway hitch. Never had an issue and have been all over the US. As with any trailer, windy days require a bit more dilligence and less speed.

If I use the formula on the previous response, I would need a 162" wheelbase. That is longer than the Titan crew cab.

Now that is very interesting. Back when I towed a 23' Rockwood with my 2000 Mountaineer with 111" WB (twin to Ford Explorer), everyone said how dangerous that was. I used an Equal-i-zer hitch, because when I towed it the dozen miles home from the dealership on just the ball it felt very squirrely (despite plenty of tongue weight). It always felt secure with the Equal-i-zer though.

To the OP: I sure hope you will be using an anti-sway hitch on that puppy! I have found, though, that towing a shorter trailer is more enjoyable for me... no special hitch makes for faster hookups, and less length is easier to maneuver around gas pumps and campsites. My advice would be to get the smallest trailer you can find that still has all the amenities you need.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander, 2010 Aliner Ranger 12

former owner of Starcraft popup, 23' Rockwood TT, 17' Burro TT, 16' KZ TT

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kosmic wrote:

I have been towing a 33 foot Wildwood with an Armada. The wheelbase of the Armada is 110". I use an anti-sway hitch. Never had an issue and have been all over the US. As with any trailer, windy days require a bit more dilligence and less speed.

If I use the formula on the previous response, I would need a 162" wheelbase. That is longer than the Titan crew cab.

Mr. Kosmic,

Ever so slight correction on the Armada, it's a 123" wheelbase.

I too am towing an almost 34' TT with (1" short og 34" see pic in profile) my Armada and no problems. I purchased on dads recomendation one of the premimum hitches (HA) and it works great for us.

To the OP, you should be fine with a little care. The only thing I'd recomend while towing is if you don't know already, use your gears manually when necessary especially when going down hill. Your auto tranny WILL NOT down shift automatically when you need it to when descending so you will have to down shift it.

Happy camping.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Kosmic wrote:

Now that is very interesting. Back when I towed a 23' Rockwood with my 2000 Mountaineer with 111" WB (twin to Ford Explorer), everyone said how dangerous that was. I used an Equal-i-zer hitch, because when I towed it the dozen miles home from the dealership on just the ball it felt very squirrely (despite plenty of tongue weight). It always felt secure with the Equal-i-zer though.

To the OP: I sure hope you will be using an anti-sway hitch on that puppy! I have found, though, that towing a shorter trailer is more enjoyable for me... no special hitch makes for faster hookups, and less length is easier to maneuver around gas pumps and campsites. My advice would be to get the smallest trailer you can find that still has all the amenities you need.

EXACTLY.
Get the smallest trailer you can find that still has all the amenities you need.

Slowmover

Corpus Christi, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The non-EL version will be better for towing (rear overhang).

Otherwise, best hitch, trailer brakes and controller. And work the numbers to set it up correctly.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 15-cpm solo, 25-cpm towing

steeleshark

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problems with my Armada and a 31ft Coachmen. You have 8 more inches wheel base then I have.

2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

RVRetreat

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull a 26' TT (4500lbs dry) with out 2010 Expedition with 3:31 gears. The new 6spd transmissions make power a non issue even with the higher gearing.

Trailer sway can be a pain though especially with those refrigeration trucks with the big box and tiny cabs! Pulled her from Alcoa TN to Wisconsin Dells without a problem and very minor wiggle. The refrigeration truck tossed us a bit by the Dells and the sway control kicked in as my finger was just touching the manual trailer overide smoothing it out. No more issues the rest of the way. I do think I may have grabbed 1 too many links when I hitched her up in Illinois for the final trip home to WI.

That one instance hasn't left my mind since August.

stephend

Ashville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be fine. I towed a 7,000 lb 28ft (really 31ft) TT before I downsized and length was not a problem. I downsized to about 5,000 lb to help with backing down a steep driveway to park at home.

3 married children, 7 gr ch
Electrical engineer married to mom/homemaker
Log Home on lake to retire in 8 years
Not golfer, fisherman or hunter but Let's go camping!!
2006 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 3.23 w/2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kosmic wrote:

The wheelbase of the Armada is 123 inches. I do concur it is a very stout capable tow vehicle.

On Edit: I see EJ made the correction.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't bought the vehicle yet, then look around more at that. For what you will be paying for it, you can get a nice 3/4 ton crew cab truck that will fit 6 people comfortably. It will also give you a little more on the power/towing/wheelbase side. I just looked and the Expedition online and their starting price was about $5000 more than what I paid for my F250 crew cab v-10 that has a tow rating of 12,500lbs. We pull a 35' trailer (31' box). Our trailer is on the heavy side though. Our dry weight is more than your GWR on the camper you mentioned.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

jlfrank

Long Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

If you haven't bought the vehicle yet, then look around more at that. For what you will be paying for it, you can get a nice 3/4 ton crew cab truck that will fit 6 people comfortably. It will also give you a little more on the power/towing/wheelbase side. I just looked and the Expedition online and their starting price was about $5000 more than what I paid for my F250 crew cab v-10 that has a tow rating of 12,500lbs. We pull a 35' trailer (31' box). Our trailer is on the heavy side though. Our dry weight is more than your GWR on the camper you mentioned.

It is an option. If the TV was going to be mine I would go that route, but it will be my wife's everyday vehicle. We live in Long Beach CA where parking is extremely scares, its pretty much parallel parking into tight spots all day. Another concern about the crew cab was the fact you cant lay the seats back to take a nap on long road trips like you can in a suv type. (we have 3 little girls)

Still researching, thanks for you input, definitely food for thought!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer length making me wonder
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS