RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Knaus cheating, again?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Knaus cheating, again?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Nascarcruzin

Home is where the RV is parked.

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jimmie Johnson's car modified

Ronnie & Rebecca
Soddy Daisy, TN
Full-timing since 2004
Check out our adventures:
North to Alaska 2011

Travel Journal Enter the password - 12345
2008 Alaskan adventure
2009 Northeast coast and Canadian Maritimes

1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40WDS
FMCA #388387

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, not this time. Even the NASCAR director of racing, Pemberton ?, said that the rule was open to interpretation and it was the crews job to walk the fine line, which he thinks was done. They are not even sure at this time, if he broke any rule at all and they are waiting for the main NASCAR shop to evaluate the C pillars later this week. I would expect Knaus to do just what he did.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockportrocket wrote:

Can we modify Kyle's head? You know , a reverse lobotomy maybe?
You liked that interview today....

Liriope

Sun City AZ 85351

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your heading is unfair and akin to the question "how often do you beat your wife". Assumption of guilt before all the facts are in. My guess is you are not a fan of Jimmie Johnson and his team.

Fan or not, both Johnson and Knaus will both go down as one of if not the best of all time in their respected fields. Maybe you will see this car in their Hall of Fame Booth. They are not my favorite team but I am a big admirer of both their talents and the way they have handled all their success. Both are "class acts".

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a big fan of Chad Knaus. And, I have respect and appreciation for Jimmie Johnson's style and talent.
Yes, Chad Knaus is well known for taking all he can (with regard to "rule bending"). It's simply too competitive not to try everything he thinks might be allowed. And, they have no choice but to leave it up to NASCAR officials to further define the rules.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can we modify Kyle's head? You know , a reverse lobotomy maybe?

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems I read where Chad is the most-fined crew chief in NASCAR.

But who was it said "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'"?

Latest word is that since it was the initial inspection and they fixed it no penalties would be levied.

2013 North Trail 21FBS
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") scab
Just DW & me......

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the record, I am and will always be a fan of Mark Martin - no matter what team he pilots for from his ASA, Busch, and remaining Cup illustrious career.

I do tend to root for the Jack Roush Racing teams more than the other race teams for the sake of Ford.

As for Team Hendrick, they do have great programs in all phases that I feel has an advantage to winning as those teams always seem to have a strong showing in practically every event.

Don't get me wrong, NASCAR is great racing sport that is very competitive and all with a great sanctioning body, but I sometimes wonder about the judgement of officials when they impose penalties or suspensions at their own discretion when race teams clearly break the rules by intentionally cheating, inadvertingly cheating, or bending the rules by not technically breaking the rules to gain a distinct advantage even though the rule of the guideline is very clear.

I remember Darrell Waltrip commentating during a live race on FOX, if you are not one of the top 15 teams....you do not get to qualify first, you do not get to be inspected first, you never have a shot of obtaining a provisional spot if things go bad, etc.

As far as what took place here with the modified C pillars that were confiscated by officials, this was determined as a failed pre inspection that has no bearing on the event as the car itself was not competing in any qualifying or sanctioned event so no harm was done with the integrity of the upcoming Daytona Race.....I can't comment on the current rule (I have no idea) on the pillar characteristics whether it is a guideline rule for the manufacturer make (Chevy) or if it was a NASCAR rule violating the boundaries of dimension and shape.

Put frankly, that #48 Hendrick car is still the best overall team out there as they DO NOT need to cheat at all, they make so little mistakes and are so talently efficient in every task and make every race team dig deep while competing.

However, even that one year where they clearly got caught cheating on a post inspection - NASCAR imposed that the crew chief sit out for 6 races and the team either got docked 150 points or got suspended for one race (cant remember exactly).

I'm sorry...cheating is cheating period, and team #48 still won the championship that year despite NASCAR imposing those penalties on the team.

Also, why does NASCAR have 'race team standings' where multi car teams are virtually guaranteed a provisional spot when they cannot run a good enough qualifying run when it does happen....It's insane that multi race teams are always on the top of the standings.

In one event I remember reading as one multi car race team (a Hendrick Car) falls over 1 second short of the qualifying bump on a 43 car field, but yet still gets a provisional spot to race....but then some 38th qualifying positioned nobody car that has no team standings from the field gets eliminated, despite running over 1 second faster in qualifying versus positions #39 thru #43.....c'mon now.

That is the two main reasons why I am not as big on NASCAR as I am for the NHRA Championship Drag Racing Series.

In the NHRA, you have mainly 4 shots at qualifying in a 16 bracket field to run in eliminations....if you do not post in the top 16 fastest times, you are not running in the event, period.

In the NHRA, every rule is clear as there is a ZERO TOLERENCE of cheating.....If a race team is caught 'in any way' cheating in qualifying or eliminations, the NHRA will impose these two penalties :

1 - You will be forfeited all points you had earned throughout the current season and removed from the standings....

2 - You are automatically suspended and ineligible to compete in any other national event for the remainder of the season.

Bottom line is the NHRA does not tolerate cheating in any way, as NASCAR should do the same for an even playing field that will eliminate anymore potential cheating from any team.

1970 Ford F250 2WD Sport Custom (Owned April 1996)
390 V8 (27K Rebuilt Mi) C6 Trans (211K Original Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000(Front)
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000(rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series(siped)

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good night Chad

NASCAR suspends Knaus for six weeks: NASCAR has issued penalties, suspensions and fines to the #48 team in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rules infractions found on Feb. 17 during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500. The #48 car was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20 of the rule book or has not been approved by NASCAR prior to the event); and 20-2.1E (if in the judgment of NASCAR officials, any part or component of the car not previously approved by NASCAR that has been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance will not be permitted -- unapproved car body modifications). As a result, crew chief Chad Knaus and car chief Ron Malec have been suspended from the next six Sprint Cup Series championship events, suspended from NASCAR until April 18 and placed on NASCAR probation until May 9. Additionally, Knaus has been fined $100,000. Driver Jimmie Johnson and car owner Jeff Gordon have been penalized with the loss of 25 driver and 25 owner points, respectively.(NASCAR)(2-29-2012)
from http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Zoey, Mika and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

JayGee

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Sounds like a pretty stiff hit for the 48 team.

Go Kyle! The honest one.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Knaus cheating, again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS