RV.Net Open Roads Forum: water coming in entrance door from the top?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> water coming in entrance door from the top?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Your Old Dog

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador we purchased used. Since day one, every time it rains the inside of the entrance door fills up with water.

Anyone know of a good fix for this? I think the rain is simply running over the roof the the first horizontal entrance it finds and that's the top of the door. Can you buy those plastic stick on covers that you see over some car windows that allow you to leave your car window open a crack during the rain? I've been looking and can't find anything like that?

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ray.........

Unless tomorrow has been promised to you, you better get busy today.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shutting the door should make the seal prevent moisture from getting in anywhere. Usually you can see the edge of the door imprint on the seal. Sometimes it doesn't touch the seal because it doesn't line up properly, the door may be warped, or the seal is worn out or not on the line.

All would be better than than putting up a stick on cover.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide Sold
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Old Dog wrote:

We have 2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador we purchased used. Since day one, every time it rains the inside of the entrance door fills up with water.

Anyone know of a good fix for this? I think the rain is simply running over the roof the the first horizontal entrance it finds and that's the top of the door. Can you buy those plastic stick on covers that you see over some car windows that allow you to leave your car window open a crack during the rain? I've been looking and can't find anything like that?

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ray.........

Iam extremely surprized it does not have a door awning? I thought all late model diesel pushers had those?

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have two latches on the door. The latches are both adjustable by using an allen wrench to loosen and reposition the post. If not adjusted correctly it is possible the top latch is not actually latched. When standing inside, push out on the door just above the top latch and see if it moves outward. You can also test whether the door is tight by placing a piece of paper between the seal and the door when closed then try pulling it out to see if the seal is tight. Are you really sure it is coming in around the door? On my 08 Endeavor I found when they built the coach they ended the roof seam tape almost exactly where they placed a screw tying the roof to the front cap. I could not see it until I pulled up the tape to replace it but it had been leaking there from about day one.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

bluebarry1964b

Homestead, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same area or not, but my 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune leaks at the top of the door in behind the plastic frame that goes around the door on the inside.

I've tried siliconing outside everywhere...and I mean everywhere...from the roof near the door,to the rubber lining the top of the windshield on the passenger side, to everywhere I could think of above the door. I took a water hose to it on two occasions to try to trace the leak.It should have been quite easy to narrow down where it was leaking with the hose, but it wasn't. I'd find an area where, when I hosed it down, water would leak in. I'd silicone the area after it dried, then the next day water it down again. No leak there, but water still ended up leaking in from other areas. Ended up siliconing some areas twice just in case I missed some kind of pin-sized hole or something.

It still leaks, but only on days with heavy rains that last a long time. If that's the area you're talking about, I'm going to keep watching your topic in case somebody out there found a solution. I've had the RV 6 years and, as crazy as it sounds, I was never able to pin down where the water was coming in from.

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bluebarry; have you tried removing and resealing the running lights? Leaks are a pain. Water can get in somewhere and run a long ways before showing up where you can see it.

lfeather

Titusville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same problem once and found wire going into coach from the top of MH for electric Girard awning was not sealed. Water migrated down through inside the door jam and accumulated on the floor. Sealed wire and problem solved. Good luck...

Larry, Debbie,Tomi and Daisy
USAF Retired
2003 36' Country Coach Allure #30856
2008 Tacoma Towed
SMI Air Force One toad brake

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mccsix wrote:

FYI....CW sells a stick on gutter in white or black which can help against rain intrusion and/or to avoid black streaks off the roof
X-2, or have your door readjusted if it's not shutting very tightly.

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ray, we also had water coming in the door when raining. Actually, water wasn't leaking inside, it just would be on top of the door so when I opened it, it would drip on me.

I crawled up on the roof and put on a bead of matching silicone (black) on the overhead door awning cover. Water was running down in between the awning and the coach. It seems to have stopped it. I'm really not in the rain that much.

On our coach, the seal around the door will inflate when the air builds up in the system and will deflate when I release the air (parking brake). So, I'm thinking there must be a pocket area that will hold water when the seal is deflated.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Class A (45 ft.)

mccsix

Pensacola Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI....CW sells a stick on gutter in white or black which can help against rain intrusion and/or to avoid black streaks off the roof

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> water coming in entrance door from the top?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS