RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tear drop tt reviews and recommendations

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Tear drop tt reviews and recommendations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
vidman64

to be purchased

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just getting into considering buying a small tt..the pop ups are too wide, as I have a 7ft wide driveway, so the teardrop ones seems to fit the bill. The seem to have more aerodynamic features so that I won't be burning much gas. I will be attaching it to a Toyota 1998 Tacoma 4 cylinder mini cab truck.There are quite a few manufacturers out there, but not sure of the quality of craftsmanship,or reliability.Any information will be appreciated.
Regards,
Millard

Cedarhill

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about models like the Forest River R-pod and the the Heartland MPG? I have looked carefully at both of those lines and they looked to me to be better made than the average square travel trailer. You may find that they are much heavier when they are fully outfitted than what the sales brochures indicate and they will exceed the towing capacity of your truck.

There are some even smaller teardrop shaped units that are made of fiberglass and don't have a complete bathroom. I don't know very much about them other than they have a good reputation. The weight of these units is more in line with your towing capacity.

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

google utilitoy might be an idea for you. A member here relative has one. Aliner is popular. Kerola Camper web site might have something to look at. I assume your truck as a 3500 LB towing limit.

RinconVTR

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into the Gulfstream Visa line.

Hitch Pin

Southern Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vidman64 wrote:

I am just getting into considering buying a small tt..the pop ups are too wide, as I have a 7ft wide driveway, so the teardrop ones seems to fit the bill. The seem to have more aerodynamic features so that I won't be burning much gas. I will be attaching it to a Toyota 1998 Tacoma 4 cylinder mini cab truck.There are quite a few manufacturers out there, but not sure of the quality of craftsmanship,or reliability.Any information will be appreciated.
Regards,
Millard

This may work for you, it's easy to tow, they make one even smaller than this one.

Hitch Pin
2013 Jay Feather Ultra Lite 221
2012 Silverado LT 1500 with a 5.3

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a pickup like that.
great around town.
i even towed a 15 foot outboard boart with it. It worked but but worked hard.
You would be best served by finding a teardrop or similar size to tow with your 4 cylinder.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think my new Fun Finder X-139 is exactly 7 feet wide -- will that fit your needs? Much more comfortable than a teardrop! Click on my trailer blog link, below, for more info, if you are interested.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Highway 4x4

La Verne, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A nice tent trailer would give you more room inside and tow easier.

ByTheRvr

Somerville, NB; Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago I planned on building a teardrop to tow behind my Jetta. I found and bought an older fiberglass 'egg'; Trillium. It had most of the creature comforts and a lot more room than a teardrop. My 4 cyl easily towed it back and forth from Florida from New Brunswick. I added brakes to the Trillium and didn't overload it. Just a suggestion.

vidman64

to be purchased

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow..such a great number of responses right away..thanks for all of them and I will take each of your recommendations to heart. I was looking at the teardrop variety like Littleguy, T@B, CampInn, Cozycruiser, Eggcamper, Silver shadow and So Cal lines. Anyone heard of or had any of these type of travel trailers? Btw, I have started with the popups, but found that most of them were too wide to ride up that 7ft wide driveway, and they seem aerodynamically not as good in reducing the drag of these "teardrop" types. Also, any advice about towing weight on my Toyota? Thanks again, you guys are great!
Regards,
Millard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Tear drop tt reviews and recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: