RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: First Time Owners, Ideas? First trip

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> First Time Owners, Ideas? First trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
LennyH

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey every one, My Wife and I are new at this, and this well be our first year to try out our new Class A Motor Home which we purchased last Oct, 2011, we are located in Eastern PA .
Does anyone have any ideas as to were our first trip should be ?
Love to here from you guy’s
Thank You

Shot-N-Az

Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only suggestion I can give you is to look to somewhere close for your first outing. Exercise every system you have and make sure you have all of your operator's manuals on board. We discovered that most of what we thought was wrong with ours were operator's errors. These motorhomes can make you feel real stupid sometimes.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen a lot of people say that the first trip should be to the dealers parking lot....

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the local trip. Now, if you have already done that "shake-down" trip, and feel comfortable in the RV, then you have a wealth of options. I doubt I'd still want to jump in and head across country, but lots of folks do just that.

Personally, from where you live, you have lots of options, and a lot will depend on what interests you. Would Williamsburg, VA be something you would enjoy....or maybe Upstate NY for Wine Country.

RVparkreviews.com is helpful in finding campgrounds, and you may want to get a copy of an AAA Tour Book (if you are a member) to give you some ideas. Even just doing a Google Seach for things that interest you, then look for camping in the area.

Lots of options.....Have fun!!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

RandyP77

Virginia Beach, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several short trips would be best over one long trip when starting out in a new motorhome...just pick a few places within an easy days drive and go for it.....remember its not just the destination where you end up the also the enjoyment of getting there.

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed at a nice campground on the Susquehanna river last summer near Northumberland. Rates were $45/ night.

Patrol 65

Charleston, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest taking a weekend camping trip near home first if you haven't done so already to familiarize yourself with everything in the motorhome. Once you are comfortable with your new motorhome then time and money will probably be your limiting factors for your first trip. We use ours mostly for camping at campgrounds. You can meet a lot of people that have many interesting stories and knowledge to share at campgrounds.

Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd follow the advice the salesman who sold us ours said "don't just jump in a new rig and head out". In fact they gave us a free night's stay at a local park about 30 miles from home.

A break-in maiden cruise is best to work out all the bugs and become familiar with how everything works. There are always small things that will need to be addressed after buying a new coach so make a list.

I'd suggest taking your new coach and car to a campground within 50 miles of home for a few days. If you need to, take two such trips. Then, as suggested--work out your punch list before taking off far from home.

As to where to go on your 1st real trip...that is entirely up to you. Where do you want to go? Figure that out and do it!

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how far east in PA you are, but Twin Grove is a nice campground.
If you want to travel farther just pick a spot and go. Experience is the best teacher. I use Google Maps to check out destinations.
Have fun and let us know about your 1st. trip.

LennyH

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You for your reply, we have already did do some close to home trips to get use to our RV and we are ready I THINK for a real trip LOL, and we are sure it will be funny!!
We are trying to get the do’s and don’ts and good and bad from Rv’ers that have done it already, and hopefully this will save us a lot of time…..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> First Time Owners, Ideas? First trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS