RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fell in LOVE at the local RV show...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fell in LOVE at the local RV show...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sirdrakejr wrote:

Quote: "Then again I myself would not want a front living room. I don't believe it is suited for FT which we will start in 1 year or so."

I used to be a full time traveler as a contract worker in the late 80s and the 90s. I had a Kit Elite front living room 5th wheel. As a full timer it was great because it put us up front during the day when everyone was awake and making noise. It had large windows and was well suited to daytime use.

But if I needed/wanted to sleep then or wanted to get away from the noises, retiring to the rear bedroom took me away from the daytime noises. I found the front living room was really well suited to full time living. Think about where you are when you sleep and are not asleep. The front bedroom puts you right up in the "action" no matter what time of day it is.

I loved ours even though it was an early model of 5th that set stage for the coming years.

Frank

Frank,
Thats why we are all different in what we like (not intended as a flame). I think it may be hard to cool the LR and pass thru storage seems a bit limited in the units I've looked at.

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just saying why I liked the front living room. Different strokes for different folks.
I don't know why it would make a difference in the front basement storage though.

Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 11:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sirdrakejr wrote:

Just saying why I liked the front living room. Different strokes for different folks.
I don't know why it would make a difference in the front basement storage though.

Frank

Storage! I've big plastic tubs with all sorts of things. More square feet the more I can keep below (within weight restrictions alas)

And is sure nice that we can disagree without a flame war

Thanks,
Ron

Ford Man

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 2 Jayco's TT and 3 Montana 5th wheels since 1997 and am waiting on a 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon to be delivered and all of them have had the "Frame" under them that everyone refers to and NO problems for me. As a matter of fact I have not ever seen an RV sitting on the side of the road with the frame broken out from under it.

This is a great floorplan that you are looking at. I know other companies make a similar plan but I like the idea of a side bathroom in the Cedar Creek. I am not a fan of Forest River because my parents had a Flagstaff that leaked when it was 2 years old and had to be sent back to the factory for all new sidewalls, roof, and some interior to be replaced. They traded it before it went back to the factory for 2012 Flagstaff because the customer service was good for forest river they trusted them again.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Showed a welder friend the frame of a nice fifthwheel yesterday because it looked like no weld I have seen before. He agreed it looked like a kid did the work.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

Showed a welder friend the frame of a nice fifthwheel yesterday because it looked like no weld I have seen before. He agreed it looked like a kid did the work.
chevman

Used to be a navy welder years ago and I didn't have any certs, but I have some knowledge. Did a factory tour and did see the welds on a lot of units on the floor = were not the best I seen by a long shot,but the welds look to have have good penetration,and little undercut and no pin holes. But no row of dimes. Lippert

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford Man wrote:

I have had 2 Jayco's TT and 3 Montana 5th wheels since 1997 and am waiting on a 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon to be delivered and all of them have had the "Frame" under them that everyone refers to and NO problems for me. As a matter of fact I have not ever seen an RV sitting on the side of the road with the frame broken out from under it.

Well, here's what mine looked like after 4 trips of use.

Fail

Fail

Totally collapsed onto my truck bed.

Pin box pushed up into front cap which broke inner wall panels and made a mess inside

Now you have seen one.

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516:

I don't recall ever seeing those particular photos before. I knew this had happened, but wow! I can't even imagine the sick feeling you must have had. One has so many hopes and expectations of fun and adventure when getting an RV and then this happens.

Talk about a gut check moment.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Mad Norsky wrote:

ib516:

I don't recall ever seeing those particular photos before. I knew this had happened, but wow! I can't even imagine the sick feeling you must have had. One has so many hopes and expectations of fun and adventure when getting an RV and then this happens.

Talk about a gut check moment.

Yeah, it sucked. The way I discovered it was bad too. I had arrived at the Silverwood Theme Park CG in Idaho, walked away from the truck and towards the CG office. Glanced back at my rig and my stomach just sank. What a sick feeling. Ruined a good vacation too. Waiting for the welder while my kids were at the theme park, worrying, phone calls, $400 cell phone bill when I got home, driving to Coeur D'Alene to get wireless service (20 mins each way) to get wifi to email pictures to Lippert & Keystone as they required....the list goes on.

The worst part of it was being in another country (I'm from Canada, happened in the USA) when it happened....on a Sunday of course. It just made things that much more difficult.

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back on topic, it appears Excel has an identical floorplan (the 37FLE). I checked the Excel website, but there is no mention of the R value of it's insulation, only the -10*F Guarantee.

Anyone know?

The Cedar Creek is R38 roof and floors. That's important to me.

Excel 37FLE:

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fell in LOVE at the local RV show...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS