|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveler or long term camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you consider yourself a traveler or do you prefer staying camped for long periods? Or both.

For the sake of this poll over a week camped is long term. Less than a week is a traveler.
What is your preference?

What type and size rig?

I'll start:
We are travelers. Truck with slide on camper under 22 feet total length.

Thanks just curious.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

now that we're retired we tend to stay put in one spot for a week or longer 80% of the time. when we were working it was rare for us to be in one spot for more than 2-nights. we travel and camp in a 35' Class A MH.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both. We use our seasonal site whenever we're not traveling. When we travel we're on the road 3-4 days at a time. When we are at a destination, we'll spend about a week there.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

jim1632

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been travelers up to this point. We started in tents as an inexpensive way to take the children around the United States and Canada. Now we have graduated to a 25-foot Class C, which offers a way to travel in more comfort yet is still small enough to avoid the burden of towing a vehicle.

This year we are graduating toward retirement by planning to be RV volunteers at a National Park about 25 miles from our house. It will give a flavor of how long-term camping will work while allowing us to meet some home obligations that still exist. The long-term objective (at least in my mind but perhaps not so strongly with the wife) is to have volunteer posts of several months as a way to enjoy the RV lifestyle but at a reduced cost (at 50 cents/mile and threatening to rise, long trips are becoming an economic consideration).

So we've done traveling and will continue at a reduced pace. The conversion to longer term is being driven by economics but also because we've traveled to most locations and now want to experience some in more depth.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of our longer trips include some of each of the criteria you defined. We travel, USUALLY every two to four days but if we find a place we really like we're apt to stay for a week or more. My OWN definition of traveler vs camper is one who travels BECAUSE of the travel instead of because of the destination. Under MY definition I'm certainly a traveler.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Buck62

Charleston, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually plan on at least a week at a time but most cases ends up being close to two weeks. Spend 4 months in Florida during the winter and during the summer we are always going off for a few weeks then come home for a few weeks or a month then get bored and take off again. Being retired we can set our own schedule. We travel in a 40ft DP.

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, it's travel or a trip vs. vacation. I don't get vacations. But, I do get to do 5-6 month long trips every year.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Treveler. Last summer, for example, I was out for a 3 week trip and there were only 3 times I stayed in the same spot for two nights instead of one. Two nights along the East Fork near Wolf Creek Pass, two nights in Moab, and two nights in West Glacier CG. I want to see all the sights, not just see one site.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander
sold trailer, shopping for another

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both, depends on where we are going and how long we are on a trip. Various truck campers and various 5th wheels are the RV's we use and prefer now days. Any of our RV's are comfortable and totally self contained for short or long stays or just overnighting or we'd buy something else. We could care less if we have any hookups or not as the best RV stays are where the neighbors are few and far between or don't exist and the scenery, sights, and solitude are really priceless. The special memories are yours to keep forever and ever!

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

cargovanconversion

Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveler. Just incidental for now. Will increase it to a dozen or so trips a year, mostly hiking & backpacking. In a few years, I plan to go away for a few months at a time.

Van.

My website describes the conversion of my Dodge B-250 van into a small RV. I deal with a lot of woodworking, but hope to be quite specific on solar as well.

cargovanconversion.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveler or long term camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS