RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Plasma Versus LED Flat Screen packing and Traveling?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plasma Versus LED Flat Screen packing and Traveling?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
eightballsidepocket

San Jose, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a question here. As we are pulling up roots in Calif and moving to Ohio.

Question: We have both LED and Plasma big screen tv's to pack and move.

I understand that one of those types of TV's can't be laid on it's front or back or horizontally but must be upright during travel.

Is it the Plasma or LED tv?

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x2 Quad Cab, Cummins, 48RE Tranny, Lg Bed, Line-X Spray-on Bed Liner.

06 T25BS Komfort Trailblazer TT

"If you can't say it in person, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind an anonymous P.C.!"

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to be -- and might still be -- the carton for a plasma tv would indeed warn against trasporting the box on it's side. This is/was to prevent the glass screen, which is now horizontal, from flexing up and down during transport and possibly breaking. This sort of thing is why sheet glass is transported while sitting in a verticle position, as you might have seen in the racks of the glass trucks when they go by. I think the packaging is better now, as I do not recall seeing this precaution printed on the box of the Panasonic plasma we purchased approx. two years ago.

If you take precautions to prevent the glass from flexing during transport, you can transport a plasma while laying on it's side. This includes LCD/LED's as well.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's getting harder to even find a plasma TV anymore. But they are not safe for an environment of vibration. We lost one from the house just in moving 400 miles. Didn't break the glass, it just lost it's brightness and then after a week of using it then the color went and then it lost the whole picture.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 46 inch LED LCD TV from the local Best Buy for Christmas. The Best Buy people wouldn't load it into our Civic laying flat. We put it in ourselves, as there was no other way. We only live a mile and a half from the store and drove home slowly avoiding all the bumps.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

It's getting harder to even find a plasma TV anymore. But they are not safe for an environment of vibration. We lost one from the house just in moving 400 miles. Didn't break the glass, it just lost it's brightness and then after a week of using it then the color went and then it lost the whole picture.
Maybe hard to find in your area, but the Plasma TV is very common in most areas, as it is the best there is, for true color presentation and true TV aficionados have only Plasma. The latest generation of Plasma will put any LCD/LED to shame and not have the problems of older ones. As far as moving, if it is one of the newer models, it will not make a difference, but laying on its back is the recommended way. High model coaches use Plasma as standard equipment and many fold into the ceiling, face up for travel.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2010 Rzr or 2007 Grizzly 450 in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

afraid of bears

Prince George Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

It's getting harder to even find a plasma TV anymore.

I haven't yet found a store that doesn't sell plasma tvs. We're looking to replace ours (under warranty) as it developed some funny lines on the screen. Plasmas are superior to LCDs and LEDs (which are just a better type of LCDs) for most viewing scenarios except where the room lighting is bright.

OP, from everything I've read, they should be transported upright.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every flat screen I've purchased had a disclaimer about transporting it lying down. Said warranty would be void if this occurred. I don't think it makes any difference if it's a Plasma, LCD or LED (though I've never purchased a plasma). If you notice in the stores where you might see them on a shelf, they are always stood up, not laying down.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know people who have bought their TV's (plasma) from Amazon. Usually it is a local company that delivers it and sets it up. Some places will just turn it on to verify that it works. Point being there still may be issues but are mostly recognisable from the onset. so prior to moving one, maybe an email to the manufacturer is in order.

As for plasma, I think the best of the best anymore is plasma and they have a superior lifespan over the LEDs. If you go 3D I think plasma is better also. IMHO

2008 Silverado D/A,CC 4x4 ,3.73,IBC LTZ+
2012 Jayco 322 FKS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plasmas are twice as heavy, why would you want that? A plasma is also more susceptible to lying flat vs an LCD. I would be very hesitant to buy a top dollar LED or plasma for traveling when a regular LCD will do the trick and can lie flat.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

NorthernLimits wrote:

Maybe hard to find in your area, but the Plasma TV is very common in most areas, as it is the best there is, for true color presentation and true TV aficionados have only Plasma. The latest generation of Plasma will put any LCD/LED to shame and not have the problems of older ones. As far as moving, if it is one of the newer models, it will not make a difference, but laying on its back is the recommended way. High model coaches use Plasma as standard equipment and many fold into the ceiling, face up for travel.

Many makers are getting out of the Plasma market. Sony was the first and Pioneer jumped soon after and others have since followed. Picture quality was tops but durability and lifespan suffered.

Samsung and LG shifted their focus to fast-growing LCD & LED tv's last year.

Quote:

"The contribution of plasma TV to over-all flat panel TV sales is declining year on year," says Samsung Electronics India VP (AV business) Raj Kumar Rishi. "The sheer range availability of LCD and LED TV, the technological innovation and performance improvement is ensuring stronger growth," he says.

Plasma TV now accounts for just 2% of the overall flat-panel television market, with LCD holding 85% and LED TV 13%.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plasma Versus LED Flat Screen packing and Traveling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS