RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Plasma Versus LED Flat Screen packing and Traveling?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plasma Versus LED Flat Screen packing and Traveling?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

I have to disagree about Plasma vs LCD and which has a better picture. I know of 2 people that have Plasma's and their picture sucks compared to our 3 LCD tv's in the house. And one of those tv's is a 6 or 7 yr old Dell.

Kind of a silly statement as "you can buy a TV or you can buy a TV"

You are comparing a KIA to a Lincoln! There are so many inbetween.

I asked the guy at my TV store if Xmas was the best time to buy as so many sales were out there. He said no not unless you want a "cheap" TV as most put out a lower grade at that time to attract buyers.

He suggested waiting till spring when the new ones will be out, then checking the reviews before making a choise. Last year it was Panasonic plasma in the 65" range that was a good deal.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2012 Jayco 322 FKS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

I have to disagree about Plasma vs LCD and which has a better picture. I know of 2 people that have Plasma's and their picture sucks compared to our 3 LCD tv's in the house. And one of those tv's is a 6 or 7 yr old Dell.
I'll put my Plasma TV picture quality up against any LCD/LED made. If you buy a good quality Plasma TV, there is NO comparison.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

eightballsidepocket

San Jose, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TN Tarheel wrote:

Been shopping lately for a large TV and have noticed Plasma prices coming down vs LCD/LED TVs. I know the Plasma's generate a lot of heat and consume more energy than LCD/LED types. Thought I read some time back that CA was trying to discourage Plasma TVs because of power use?

My soon to be ex state is daily making regulations for every aspect of it's citizens's lives.

Yes, they are regulating on how much electricity our tv's can use.

Keystone pipeline, China will get the line. We've got more oil off the Calif coast but the enviro wacko lobby in the state keeps it off limits.

Got 3 trillion barrels of oil shale in the midwest. The enviro's won't let us use it.(more oil than the middle east).

The tv power thing is just the tip of the ice berg that awaits Californians and could end up in lots of other states.

So many "do gooders" that have no sense of reality of life that you and I must face daily.

So many of these do gooders would love $5.00 gasoline/diesel. They hate nuclear power, they hate fossil fuels,

The love windpower, solar cells, and all the alternate energy sources that are zero or negative sum gains in cost.

Windmills don't pay for themselves in producing power. They have to be subsidized by you and me(taxes) in order to exist. Same goes for solar cells, etc..

Hydrogen cost more to extract and use that it's cost benefit to burn in cars.

These folks are not living in reality. Clean coal, clean safe nuclear power, lots of oil sources in our country are a reality.

But you know who's stopping it.
We have the technology to extract and produce energy very safely.

The lifeblood of our nation depends on forward thinking, and reality thinking people.
Excuse me for the sermon. I'm just a frustrated Californian, that is basically being evicted from my state because of the folly of it's own decisions in regard to it's citizens.

I must get used to referring to my self as a Ohioan. And I will be darn proud to be one.
Yes, I will miss the Redwoods, Sierras, Pacific ocean, etc., but not the do's and don'ts of living there that are ever-intruding into our lives.
Lake Great Lakes, here we come! Camping in Ohio, Kentucky, and other places around and in Ohio, we look forward to. Our grandkids will have a better education too. They will learn to be proud of being Americans, and not be embarrassed.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 10:44am by eightballsidepocket *

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x2 Quad Cab, Cummins, 48RE Tranny, Lg Bed, Line-X Spray-on Bed Liner.

06 T25BS Komfort Trailblazer TT

"If you can't say it in person, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind an anonymous P.C.!"

eightballsidepocket

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Eightball sorry you don't like California but they are overcrowded anyways.

I don't think all that much of Ohio other than farms and corn.

Hope it all works out for you, but you can always go north to camp in Michigan, we see plenty of Ohio plates on I75, LOL

Did say I didn't like California. Have fond memories of it as I was born and raised here.

We are entering a new phase of our lives economically, and family-wise.

We must go where we can survive the best, and also be closer to family.

Wife and I aren't getting any younger and for the sake of our grown children, living 2,400 miles from them doesn't make it easy for them if something happens to our health in a serious way.

Also, we get to see our grandchildren more often, and have a special bond with them.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eightball sorry you don't like California but they are overcrowded anyways.

I don't think all that much of Ohio other than farms and corn.

Hope it all works out for you, but you can always go north to camp in Michigan, we see plenty of Ohio plates on I75, LOL

TN Tarheel

East TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 05:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been shopping lately for a large TV and have noticed Plasma prices coming down vs LCD/LED TVs. I know the Plasma's generate a lot of heat and consume more energy than LCD/LED types. Thought I read some time back that CA was trying to discourage Plasma TVs because of power use?

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eightballsidepocket wrote:

They love windpower, solar cells, and all the alternate energy sources that are zero or negative sum gains in cost.

...so long as the windmills are not moving; if the windmill spins then some poor birds might get knocked out of the sky. And they make too much noise...

Solar power? They don't want the solar arrays put out in the middle of the desert because they might disrupt some poor lizard's leisure time...

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then how come all the "big boys" use them as standard equipment in their conversions?

eightballsidepocket

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Then how come all the "big boys" use them as standard equipment in their conversions?
I think we got or 52" LCD to Waterville OHio in one piece. Laid it on the TT bed between the blankets and matress.

My son's 42" plasma made the trip ok.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Weather is crazy here. It's spring like. 60's and 70's with a few thundershowers. Great welcome for us Californians.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plasma are liquid cooled, they need to be installed and following installation NOT MOVED, they are NOT suitable for RV use.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plasma Versus LED Flat Screen packing and Traveling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS