|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Buttermilk Pancakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always add a little oil to the batter. It makes pancakes lighter and not so tough.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Happy Prospector

The Great Sonora Desert

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Krusteaz, and instead of using all water to mix the batter, I use a 50/50 mix of water and butter milk and mix it a little thinner than called for. Try it you'll like it.

Kevin

Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 (Green-It's your Daddy)
One Tough Kitty Named Bob

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MaverickBBD wrote:

If you can get it/find it, Snoqualmine Falls mix is the ONLY premix worth it's soul. The oil, self rising flour (AND a pinch of baking powder) and a dash of vanilla extract may get you there. I also pour approx. 1 teaspoon maple syrup in the batter. Let rest even if not making waffles. For pancakes, don't over mix and watch you viscosity. It will change as batter goes down.

Yes, the mix is very good. Served at the Lodge at Snoqualmine Falls.

travel4family

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgive me if you tried it already... but I don't care for the "regular" bisquik recipe, either. But if you look at the bottom there's a "supreme" version where you add extra things.. I think it's vanilla, baking powder and something else. I also add more milk than it calls for so it's not quite as thick batter, seems much better. Pour, flip as soon as the bubbles start popping on top. They're much better that way! (sorry if you already did it that way :-)

wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago while at Forest City, Iowa getting our Winnebago worked on at the factory we ate breakfast at the Lodge across the highway from there and the hot cakes they served were out of this world. They were a little darker than hot cakes usually are and had a flavor I've never been able to identify. Asked the waitress what might be different about them and she tried to get it from the chef but he wouldn't tell. Two years late while there we were all excited about getting the hot cakes again but they didn't serve breakfasts anymore, what a let down.

I've tried several different mixes and types of flour at home, tried adding vanilla, almond extract, cinnamin, using apple juice instead of milk or water, tried reading different mixes on the Internet for any ingrediant unusual, and what else but have never been able to even come close to what the Lodge at Forest City had. Finally gave up trying.

Wagonmaster2

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what we use...( 1 tbl of lemon juice will turn 1 cup reg milk into sour if buttermilk not available)

IHOP pancakes

1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/4 c. sugar (less is better)

Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder,and salt. Mix the egg with the buttermilk and add to the flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Add the melted butter and sugar. Fry on a greased griddle. Serves 4.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

mytime

Winter Snowbird-somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree too on the Cast Iron Cooking surface, We use Bisquick mix but we add, egg, cooking oil, and a dollop of Sour Cream,milk, then a little butter in the Cast Iron Pan., we also use this for Waffles.

2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the cooking surface is as important as the recipe. My cast iron griddle turns out pancakes with exactly the same "springy" texture I like at my local breakfast eatery.
Regardless of the recipe, I get poorer results on any other surface.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Francesca on cooking surfaces. While working, I was in 20 to 25 restaurants a day and never saw Teflon used for anything except eggs. Cast iron is the closest thing I have found to the cooking surface of a restaurant griddle.

SDPat

SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good pancake batter is usually slightly lumpy. If you over mix it the gluten becomes over-developed and results in a tough product as in any quick bread. Also let the batter sit for at least 15-20 minutes after mixing to let the leavening agents start producing gas which will produce a light fluffy pancake. The griddle should be about 375. Once the batter is poured don't flip the pancake until bubbles are forming and breaking and the edge looks slightly dry. One of the worst things people do is once the pancake is turned is to slap the top of it with the turner if the center is puffing up higher than the edges! If you're using a mix that calls for water only...club soda will really make them fluffy.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Buttermilk Pancakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS